quintessons or primus?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by ultra lynx, Feb 7, 2007.

1. ultra lynx

ultra lynx Active Member

watching ffod the other nite on u tube and noticed that they said the quints created the tfs but in a episode of rebirth i believe they said vector signma was the creator and now in cybertron primus is said to be the creator so im a lil confused can some one else give me a clue lol ty

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In the original cartoon they said the Quints were the creators of Transformers. The cartoon then introduced the Matrix and Unicron.

Totally seperately, in the Marvel comics, they said that Primus created the Transformers and the Matrix to defeat Unicron.

Then more recently the cartoons have incorporated this Comic stuff into themselves.

To be honest though, Transformers continuity is all over the place and thinking about it too hard will only hurt your brain.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Wasn't the the opposite order? Quintessons and The Matrix were introduced in the movie, and then in season 3 it's revealed that the Quintessons built the TFs. Cybertron was a factory world, and Vector Sigma was the computer that ran it and gave the TFs life, so calling it the creator would also be correct.

I think the inclusion of Primus in the new cartoons is due to the popularity of the Primus origin among fans, although I personally prefer the Quintesson story. The Botcon comics try to assert that the Quintessons basically lied about the origin of the Transformers, and built a shell program (Vector Sigma) around Primus to force him to create things for them, but I think that's pretty transparent (though clever) and dubious retconning. Taken on their own, I think the G1 show and the G1 comics clearly have two unrelated origin stories.

4. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I was reading Transformers: The Ultimate Guide a while back, it was really Primus who created the Transformers. I don't know what those peeps were on when they said it was the Quintessons who created them in the G1 TV.

5. daMooseVS

daMooseVS Well-Known Member

The *accepted* origin is that of Primus, yes. But the cartoons did lay out the Quintisson theory, as well as the idea a primate named Primacon built Unicron. (so why a quasi-religious item from a cybernetic culture would be his undoing, damned if I know).
    But yea, Marvel introduced the whole idea of Primus & Unicron being a universal Yin & Yang. And now, with the alternate-reality series we're getting (RID, Unicron Trilogy) along with what was set up by Marvel, the Primus origin works better, explaining that Primus and Unicron are fundamental cosmic powers, Primus a force for creation and Unicron a forced of destruction. Primus is in all realities simultaniously, while Unicron can travel between the infinite realites at will.

6. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Primus created, the Quints are thieves and liars and never once had an original idea. The Quints most likely murdered the Diaclones. It's also why TFs have such an affinity with humans. Humans remind Bots of friends and the Cons of masters.

7. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Primus is lame. Quints all the way. Also, Unicron was created by Primacron.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

*Raises a fist* Hey, don't call Primus lame... so what, he stays in planet mode all the time, but he's cool! Just check out the Cybertron series! The Quintessons are evil, they're twice as bad as the Decepticons and they got a twisted sense of justice.... there be no way that they'd create lovable characters like Optimus Prime and Hot Rod!

9. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

I've always liked the Quints origin as it at least makes some sense, with the Autobots starting out as a consumer product line and the Decepticons as a military line.

The mystrical origin of bring created by primus intertwined with destiny and all that seems like kind of a lazy cop-out.

10. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

I tend not to delve too deeply into such backstory. I guess I take the PRIMUS origin as gospel because I read it first (when I was getting the UK comic), but as a rule that sort of thing doesn't interest me.
    I'd sooner see individual characters fleshed out rather than such 'epic' elements (which is why Simon Furman's current IDW run is annoying the hell out of me)

11. redsquadron

PC calamity! Double post....

12. redsquadron

PC madness! Triple post...

13. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    triple-post? wow.

14. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

Both are valid origins, and are especially cool when you try to incorperate them together. For example, you could say that Primus, wanting to hide from Unicron, goes into a dormant state after having made preperations for defence(i.e., creating factories for making little robots to defend himself).

Then, while in his dormant state, the Quintissons discover Primus. The planet has no living resedents, but has hundreds, if not thousands of robot manufacturing facillities. Being oppoutunists, they start cranking out robots, to sell to other aliens. The robots eventually gain sentience, and rebel against their Quintisson masters. Then the rest can unfold as it has, and all would be right with the G1-BW-BM continuity.

15. redsquadron

Whoops! Only just noticed... I got a "gate error" and pressed 'back', then tried to refresh (three times, apparently!)

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Whoops, yeah, I got that one mixed up, but it was correct in my head.

Personally I take the G1 cartoon with a pinch of salt, it introduced a lot of ideas good and bad, but the comics tended to tidy it all up.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I agree with the "clever" part. Even if it is obvious retconning, this is the best use of the Quintessons I've ever heard. I personally always found the Quints to be pretty lame, but giving them the power to subvert a god makes them more credible to me. Although I prefer the continuity in which Quintessons never existed at all.

Also, as of right now, Primus is the OFFICIAL origin due to the Cybertron line and retconning on Hasbro's part.

However, this is all wrong, as atechnogenesis is the only TRUE origin :p 

18. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I prefer the Primus continuity. F the Quints.

19. Faust

Faust Bring on da wimmens!

The comic - it was Primus

The cartoon - it was the Quints

I prefer the seperate versions of the TF origin. And I am totally against this whole "lets consolidate and make everything the same," attitude.

It is always better to have some difference and diversity in the mix. Because each series contributes so much to the overall mythos of the Transformers universe. The only down side is that the cartoon ended in '87, when there were still plenty o stories to be told.

But anyways...

20. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I personally prefer the Primus story line over the Quint one. I think the Quints should be in the story line, but more like they were in Energon. I also like the whole twin thing between Primus and Unicron. Peace out.