Quick: Samsung S3 or not?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Treadshot A1, Jun 1, 2012.

?

What should i get?

Poll closed Jun 2, 2012.
  1. Samsung Galaxy S3 ($480)

80.0%
  2. HTC Sensation XL ($0)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Samsung Galaxy Note ($480)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (post which, please)

20.0%
  5. Seriously, give Apple another chance... (tall order, but try to convince me if you wish)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Guys, i need some quick advice, as i got to make this decision by tomorrow morning, and it's 7:36 now.

I have the chance to get my hands on a 16GB Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. Currently i'm running a HTC Desire Z, which frankly is cutting out halfway during calls and crashing apps left and right, so it needs replacing with something. I can either go with the S3, which will set me back $480AUD (which is $500 USD, approx.), or i can change to a HTC Sensation XL for free.

I can also change to a Galaxy Note for the same price as the S3.

I will not be going to Apple as frankly i have an iPad and iPod, so i know Apple technology is sub-par and i won't be spending any money on their products. Plus, Android is great. *ducks rotten iTomatoes*

So...what should i get? Or is there a phone i haven't yet considered? I'm looking for something which can do one main purpose: tell my iPod Touch to buzz off. Currently i carry both my Desire Z and an iPod Touch (Desire Z to make calls, iPod because the screen's responsive and my HTC won't play apps very well). That causes scratches between the two machines and it's annoying to carry that much weight. I need a machine that replaces both of those with one. I also need something with...um...what's the technical term...blazing speed? Something that surfs the web as fast as my iPod does, but with Java and Flash included.

So yeah, since i know nothing about phones, i need someone who's knowledgeable on the subject to tell me what phone's good for me. $480's feeling a bit steep for me, but at the same time if that's what it takes to get rid of the iPod, then i'll drop that much cash in a heartbeat.

EDIT: I have no doubt my HTC's app issue is a once-off error on my handset, as my friends who have HTC phones have no problem. The phone call cutting out a few minutes in is beyond me, though.

Oh, and anyone want to tell me whether TouchWiz is better than/worse than/equal to HTC Sense? I can't say i like Sense as a skin for Android, but i can't say anything bad about it either.

2. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sony Xperia S does the job nicely!

3. Treadshot A1

Okay...i'm sorry but i really odon't know anything about phones. Could you tell me what's great about Xperia? I do like sony...

4. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    12 MP Camera, stunning Display, Sony's Timescape UI is pretty nice as well. 32 Gb memory. It's Dual-core so it's fast as well. Never had a problem with calls cutting out or not being able to hear anything.

5. Treadshot A1

Dual core, huh? Hmm...the S3 is quad core, and so is my Asus Transfrmer Prime tablet. I do read that apparently there aren't any apps that use the full capabilities of quad core gadgets, though.

I assume quad-core is, like, better than dual core, right? :confused:  I know my laptop and tablet are running quad-core and they seem to be going faster?

6. Ratchet2007

News Credits:
    Yeh Quad-Core is better but my Xperia isn't really slow at all!

7. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Samsung is quickly taking over the Android super-phone market.

Go with the S3.

8. Blackops

Blackops Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Get the Galaxy Nexus

9. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

I'm getting the Samsung Galaxy Nexus in a few weeks, and from what I've read that phone is pretty decent. Have you read up on your choices? That would really help you to see what you want and to make sure you get the phone you want.

Edit: The Galaxy S3 looks positively stunning, and it has a relatively convenient size. I'd tap that.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i got a S2 and love it, looking to get the S3 when my contract is over. And since your in Australia, you'll get the quad-core version.

the Note is good but i wouldnt use it as a phone (i think its way too big).

My mom has a HTC One S (which has the Sense UI) and i like the Galaxy's TouchWiz UI better

S3 is faster than the Sensation XL. Faster CPU and GPU. Cant say how much faster tho.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  11. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

things to note.

S3
    - It has 16/32/64gb internal memory (but you said you'll be getting the 16gb version).
    - It has a external microSD slot (up to 64gb).
    - It has external battery.
    - It doesnt have Beats Audio.
    - It doesnt come with Beats headphones.
    - It has 720 x 1280 pixels display.
    - It comes with Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich
    - It comes with TouchWiz UI v4.0.
    - It has Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection.
    - You have to pay for the phone.

Sensation XL
    - It has 16gb internal memory.
    - It doesnt have any external memory slot.
    - It has external battery.
    - It has Beats Audio.
    - It come with Beats headphones (i think it still does).
    - It has 480 x 800 pixels display.
    - It comes with Android 2.3 -Gingerbread (Eventually upgradeable to Android 4.0 - Ice Cream Sandwich)
    - It comes with HTC Sense UI 3.5.
    - Dont know if it has any screen protection.
    - The phone is free.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012