Customs: Quick question!

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Grimlock_13, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Hey all, I had a relatively easy question for those in the know...how easy is it to remove the silver detailing on Classics Cliffjumper? Is it simply taking some rubbing alcohol to it or will that method take off red as well? Any insight would be helpful :)  thanks in advance!

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    The alcohol would remove the red on the roof of the car also. You can do it in small amounts and it minimizes the removal, but it takes a while & you still lose a bit of the red. The roof of the car is a clear part that was painted red & silver, so you also risk making the plastic brittle or possibly deforming it a bit.

My suggestion would be to paint over it all (Krylon Fusion spray or use an airbrush for best results--or you could brush paint in very thin layers, with paint you've thinned a bit). Or you could just leave it as-is. I couldn't stand it, so I removed what I could, then painted over it. I'm still working on it, so I haven't shared any of it. Same with Classics Bumblebee--been working on him forever & removed what I could, but painted over the rest.

As for it being easy to remove the silver, they can be tough (on most bots). You can soak the parts that have the silver in 91% alcohol, then scrub with q-tips & paper towels to remove some. You'll probably need to soak a few times & scrub quite a bit though. On Generations Drift, I simply dipped q-tips into my 91% alcohol & scrubbed the red off of his alt mode (for a custom). It took a LOT of muscle to do it, but if you let the alcohol soak the q-tip, then let it sit for a bit on the applied area, it will help break it up a bit and allow you to wipe some of the color away. The biggest thing is you do NOT want to ruin that clear plastic roof part on Cliffy. I tried to remove a bit of the silver there using a q-tip, much like I did on Gen. Drift, but it wouldn't completely remove & some of the red started to go, so I stopped.

Whatever you do, read up on the tutorials here and take your time with it. Good luck, man!

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Awesome thank you so much for your input! I don't really mind the silver on Cliffy but I had the notion of making a Classics Red Bumblebee out of a spare I had (renamed of course) by taking the silver off. You've given me some great tips, thanks for your help!