quick question

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lord Shockwave7, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Lord Shockwave7

Lord Shockwave7 Xbox Live Dictator

would it be against the rules to post a word for word article from my game informer on the new game? I typed half of it before I realized that I should ask before I post.

So, is it? or am I only allowed to post it?

2. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I believe "fair use" allows short sections/quotations of up to three sentences, and block quotes (within reason) are acceptable as long as the original source is cited properly. And you can quote portions of an article/interview if it's in the form of a review or related commentary, again, as long as you credit the source accordingly.

In web journalism, you're safe quoting up to 2 paragraphs with credit to the source by name/domain and include a link as well.

3. Lord Shockwave7

So I can post the whole thing if I give my opinion? BTW I said it's from the mag.

4. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I modified my original reply above after double-checking a few sources. (Three paragraphs didn't sound quite right.)

No, you can quote portions of the original article in the context of a commentary/review. You can't just copy/paste or retype an article verbatim and tack your opinion onto the end of it and call that a "review."

Quoting an entire article verbatim is a violation of copyright law unless Game Informer's content falls under a Creative Commons license, which unfortunately they don't.

Find the core part of the article you want to comment on -- a couple paragraphs tops. Or quote excerpts if you're going to comment on it.

Toyfare (when they were still in publication) was fiercely protective of their content and how it was distributed on the web. There were cases here on TFW where articles and images from Toyfare were removed for this reason. Game Informer is just as protective of their content.

5. Lord Shockwave7

alright, I never wanted to break copright. Peole pay good money for GameInformer, so it would be unfair to post it for free. I guess it's not worth it anyways, they didn't post anything new. They didn't even know the date it comes out. Thanks.