Customs: Quick question regarding nail polish remover

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got myself the DOTM Prime double pack, which is the HtfD new-mold Voyager Prime, but he's all sparkly with stars and the moon on his windscreen.

I've got some nail-polish remover at my property and i'm wondering - if I use some of this to try get rid of the stars/moon off this figure, will it cause any damage to the translucent plastic or will it be fine? I don't want to make Prime's windows look worse then they were originally, but I don't like these stars all over him either!

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    If you use a Q-tip and don't soak parts, you should be fine. Just know that "nail polish remover" is the girl word for "watered down acetone". Pure acetone will melt plastic in seconds.

3. Shwiggie

Shwiggie Likeable dryskinned biped

While "acetone-lite" is a way of looking at it, you still need to be immensely careful. I've melted the plastic housing on IV pumps at the hospital with nail polish remover pads. I would imagine translucent plastic would be highly likely to melt.

I'd try strong rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid first.

4. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Yes. If you choose to use it, be VERY conservative with your amount and your method. I've used it on Alt windows before, but while I use it I wash it off too.

5. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm guessing that it'll also remove the flame decals from his arm panels as well if I attempt to take off the stars on there?

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I removed most of the deco from mine with alcohol. Depending on how you do it, you may be able to avoid the flame being removed. Generally speaking with nail polish remover, you're looking at removing most all the paint present.