Quick question about rust

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Futureruleroftheuniverse, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I've got a type of steel (high iron content is all I'm told) that I've used to make an electromagnet with. It works well but I need it to not rust for when I'm not using it. I've thought about dipping it in oil, but the only type of oil I have is olive oil. Anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

2. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

WD-40

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    id suggest you spray the metal is question with some rustoelum paint, it will prevent rust and shouldn't impeed its use as an electro magnet unless you put a ton of the stuff on it

4. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Hi,

sorry to not be specific... but here's my plan;
    cover the metal in olive oil when not in use, when required to test it (still ongoing fine tuning of the wire coils etc) just drag it out and wipe most of the oil off and test. When finished dip it back in. Is there any reason I can't do this? I'm not looking for rust protection when it's exposed to air, it's not going to be exposed for long.

Cheers
    Futureruleroftheuniverse

5. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Uh...

I'd use something other than olive oil.

6. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

Just pick up a court of oil, rub a little on it, like the stuff used in lawnmowers, cars, etc. Like penzoil and stuff.

7. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Umm, why?
    I'm only concerned as to whether it will work. I don't need much, just about 50ml to cover it. It's a small piece and has been bent around. It's the only thing I've got at the moment, unless I go buy some of the stuff you guys have mentioned... tomorrow because everything's closed now for Sunday...
    Actually, the question is simply this; does leaving the iron in olive oil effectively prevent rust (eliminate water effectively?)?.
    Learn that oils prevent water from getting into contact with the metal, but I know nothing about how olive oil is manufactured etc... so just wondering

cheers

8. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What a weird question. It's not going to rust overnight or anything. What's going to happen if it does rust, anyway? Are you using it underwater? Why so worried about rust?

Get some WD-40 like someone else said. Olive oil is a bad choice, as it will eventually rot, stink, and turn sticky.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Olive oil is pretty universal, but not really 'choice' for this.
    WD 40 should be fine, but if you prefer something else use some Hydro Safe Oil (hydraulic oil), it's anti-corrosive and prevents rust. Brush it on, then wipe off with shop towel or newspaper.
    Paper towels leave too many dustballs

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  10. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

If you're so worried about rust, just paint it, or coat it with some kind of sealant.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Olive oil is good for many, many things. I don't think this is one of them. Steel isn't as rust-prone as you might think.

12. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Ok, I'm just going to head to a hardware store and mention it to the guy what you guys have mentioned... just thought that olive oil could hold the iron in there for a short period of, oh about a month.

cheers, and sorry for this being a weird question,... there's more to the story... which is why, but I'd rather not mention it just in case some people read this that I don't want to read... umm, yeh something like that...

Futureruleroftheuniverse???

13. Lintson

Lintson Active Member

Only a month? If the thing you have is really steel it should be fine, especially if you keep it in a clean dry place.

I wouldn't go buying anything you don't already have if you only need to keep it for a month. (that said i'd recommend WD40 or fish oil)

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Just dip a cloth in oil machine oil would be best, but cooking oil works too) and just rub it on in a thin layer.

15. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go to walmart and buy 3-in-1 mutipurpose oil. It's like 2 bucks a bottle. If you are going to keep it indoors you dont want WD-40 fumes in your house.