Customs: Quick question about painting

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by PrimusTransFan, Jul 26, 2009.

1. PrimusTransFan

PrimusTransFan Member

So I've read an extensive amount of tutorials and other experiences with these customs and now I have a question I haven't seen a lot of information about. Now I know airbrushing is the premiere and probably best way to paint a model but does anyone have experience with just the use of a brush? I'm trying to get as much information as I can before I dive into my ROTF Leader Optimus model. Being on an island in the middle of the Caribbean makes access to luxuries like airbrushes and paints hard LOL.

2. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Well, I've only done two custom repaints so far, but they were both done by brush. (I've linked them at the bottom) The best advice I can give you is go SLOW!! Light coats of paint. Be damn sure to sand any tight joints before you start. Oh, and DO NOT USE FOLK ART PAINTS FROM WAL-MART!!! These seem to work well, until you try and clear coat them, then they thin out and don't look so good. Spen the extra few buck and buy the good paints. Other than that, read more tutorials. I recomend Jin Saotome's.

Breakaway
    Ironhide
    Jin's Site

3. PrimusTransFan

PrimusTransFan Member

Lol, if Wal-Mart existed out here I would be immensely greatful! Luckily ordering paints will definitely be something I'll do, I'm just trying to debate on my method.

By the way, great mods. I'm hoping to do a fantastic job myself. I'm pretty ridiculous about trying to get things to perfection which might be my downfall in getting into this field, lol. Thank you so much for the link too, very helpful!

4. Hotwire

Hotwire Pro-Customizer

Well, just remember, if you mess up, just call it battle damage! Also, I've found if you have any old cell phone chargers on any other old busted electronics, you can scavange wires and other fun kibble.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Just a little FYI in case you didn't know, man...........Future Floor Finish (now called Pledge with Future Shine) actually works well as a clear coat for the Folk Art paints also (the cool thing is those paints are very pigmented and you can get some cool colors to work with--but I'd still stick with Testors, Tamiya, or Krylon for most stuff. But I just wanted to chime in and let you know that I've used those paints with Future as a clear coat in the past and they've worked.