Quick question about how to deal with a scammer

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Mirage232, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this since it does not have to do with Transformers, but here goes. I recently purchased a Mario and Luigi Partners in Time game for the DS from a seller on Ebay. He had good feedback and was located here in the U.S. So I won the auction and eventually recieved the item, only to find out that it was a bootleg. (It was pretty obvious, it was in one of those cheaply made clear cases). So I contacted the seller, and now he says I can ship it back to him, but here is my question. Shouldn't I ask for a full refund first before I ship anything out? And if I ask him to do so, but he refuses, should I then try to contact paypal? Or should I contact paypal right now before I take any further action? Just wondering what you guys think. :confused: 

2. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

It's been years since I used Ebay, but I'd contact them before contacting Paypal. Course, I'd ask for the full refund from the seller before contacting either of them. Just my thoughts...

3. Alexander Quinn

Alexander Quinn Well-Known Member

It's been years since I used Ebay, but I'd contact them before contacting Paypal. Course, I'd ask for the full refund from the seller before contacting either of them. Just my thoughts...

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

I would ask the seller for a refund first.

If that doesn't work. This is how paypal would work:
    If you open a dispute, they will have you send the item back to the seller with delivery confirmation. Once paypal verifies that the seller received the item, they will issue you a refund.

5. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Does the game work? How much did you pay?

6. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    Da_Last_2_Walk nailed it! But I want to reiterate the importance of DC, no matter how you end up returning it to him. That little $.80 could make the difference with Paypal and/or eBay if the seller, who is already willing to scam you once, tries to do it again by not refunding your money.

Also, keep your communication with the seller on eBay's messaging system. eBay can use it against the seller if things go further south. :2c: 

Good luck :thumb 

7. Thonor

Thonor Autosmot

They speak the truth. You will have no choice but to return the item. You have to provide the tracking number to paypal and once they confirm it has been delivered, you will be issued a refund.

Don't waste your time going through the seller.

8. Mirage232

Thanks for the advice guys. I was already in the process of contacting the seller when I made this thread. In the first response, he asked how I knew it was a bootleg. I mean, maby the fact that DS games are not sold in bulky clear cases that feel like they are about to fall apart?:rolleyes:  Then I e-mail him back and I ask about getting a refund before I send it out, but in his second response, he insists that I send him the game first. I think at this point I am going to have to open a dispute with paypal, because to be honest, I don't trust the guy at all, despite his postive feedback. I also find it strange that he doesn't have more negative feedback, considering the fact that he is selling bootleg games.

9. Mirage232

No I never tried it, because it is obviously a fake. I don't want to give this guy a reason not to refund my money by opening the piece of junk. I paid about thirty dollars after winning the final bid.

10. Mirage232

One more question guys. When I mail this back, is delivery confirmation enough, or do I need to provide insurance as well?

11. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

x < $250 = delivery confirmation
    x > $250 = signature confirmation

You do not need to buy insurance.