Customs: Quick painting question for the pros

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by grayfox, Jan 26, 2009.

1. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have a few parts that are made of blue plastic and I want to repaint them yellow. I plan on using Citadel (Games Workshop) Sunburst Yellow for the job, but I'm wondering if I should prime the parts first.

While working on my animated Cy-Kill, I tried to paint the upper arms, which were molded in dark green plastic, using some Citadel brand paint (Red Gore). I primed the chest using some white Krylon primer thinking that when I would apply the red paint it would come out vibrant, but that wasn't the case. Instead, the red paint would barely stick to the primer and after several coats, all I managed to get was a pinkish color. I ended up removing the primer using alcohol and painting directly on the plastic. Despite not getting the exact shade of red I wanted, it was darker (too dark actually) the paint held much, much better.

So before I start another project, I'm trying to plan ahead a little and figure out if I should use primer this time around and if so, should I use another brand than Krylon? Because so far Citadel Paint over Krylon primer = no good. It's too bad though, cause I really like Krylon paints. It's the first time I'm having trouble with them.

Anyone out there has an opinion on the matter?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    IMO when it comes to that sort of colors, YES! prime it or it will turn green!
    i use Krylon Primer, i do not have any problems with it?
    dry ether Charcole Black, Ruddy Brown, Or Grey.
    alos Frenzy_Rumble did a discussion on spray paint from Krylon called Krylon Camouflage
    if you want more information try PMing Frenzy_Rumble.

3. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you get a hundred replies you will get a hundred different answers. My favorite primer is Duplicolor Car Primer(They have a gray that will work for you). Give the parts a bath and good scrub with 91% Alcohol for best adhesion(or their adhesion promoter).

I am working on some Jim Lee X-Men and unfortunately for you they are for a contest or else I would show you the results I got(Lots of yellow on some of them). Either way with yellow you will be doing a lot and I mean a lot of coats if your doing it by hand, best advice is to do thin layers and let each layer dry completely before you lay another one down. Only way to get a really nice yellow finish is to be patient and take your time with it. As soon as you rush it you will mess it up(Believe me LOL).

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Any time you want to make a drastic color change, gotta make sure that you prime it first. Not only will you be able to get the color you want, regardless of what the original color was, you also are able to get a smoother finish.

I like The Krylon primer as well, and Tamiya primer every now and then.

5. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Definately prime first. GW yellows (and reds) are a little thin. You could also look at the GW foundation line of paints. There is a darker yellow in there which (I have heard) covers very well and solidly.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Let's make sure we keep customs discussions in "Radicons Discussion". Thanks :thumb 

7. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    My bad Superquad. I'm still getting used to this layout (I preferred the way it was before the change! ;) )

Back to the topic:

I think it's settled, I'll need to use primer. Now, about Citadel paints not sticking the Krylon primer, anyone knows what up with that? A simple solution would be to simply use Krylon yellow spray paint, but unfortunately, it's not an option since I'd have to paint outside and the cold/windy weather would make it near impossible to get any work done.