Quick Opinion Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Predakwon, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hi, I'm interested in getting into Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. Would you think it's worth it? I'm getting mixed reviews and curious about people opinion's here.

2. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've enjoyed it. some people are saying OMG ITS TEH B3ST EVAR! WOOT! having fangasms at it, and other says it sucks. I think its neither. Its like most morrison stuff, where there is alot going on and you just have to pay attention and sometimes figure stuff out for yourself.

#16 was just pretty damn awesome.

3. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Don't get into it unless you are willing to go back and read all of his stuff from Batman as well.

4. MicroZone21

MicroZone21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Grant's run is done with #16, so you're ok with any future issues. There's a fill-in arc for a few months before the new regular team can wrap up their stuff on Brightest Day and start B&R.

5. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah a very good point, pretty much all Morrison's Batman stuff is only giant story, alot of enjoy meant will be missed out on, if you can connect references to past stories.

Its also the end of the run. so might not be the best jumping on point unless you have previous experience.

6. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're looking to start reading Grant's Batman work, here's a reading order of what trades you should go for:

-Batman and Son
    -Batman: The Black Glove
    -Batman RIP Deluxe Edition*
    -Final Crisis (read the trade, the essential tie-ins are there)*
    -(optional: Batman: Battle for the Cowl- not Grant-related, but shows how Dick becomes Batman and Damian becomes Robin)
    -Batman and Robin: Volume 1 (Issues 1-6)
    -Batman and Robin: Volume 2 (Issues 7-12)

*-To fully appreciate, read twice. It helps all the little symbolic points sink in.

Once you get to that point, read the following single issues:

-Batman #700-702
    -Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne Issues 1-6
    -Batman and Robin #13-16

That should bring you up to speed on Grant's Batman work. It may seem like a daunting task, but, speaking from experience, it's a worthwhile tale to pursue.

7. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, so Batman RIP and Final Crisis aren't enough I take it to enjoy the first 2 volumes of Batman and Robin?

8. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yes and no, granted the more back story now, some things will make more sense. personally being a completionist I'd start at the beginning, but if you just want to read Batman and Robin just read it, and see what happens, if you enjoyed it and it makes you want to know more you can always go back.

but to totally get everything Morrison you need to be a complete Batman-ologist cause some stuff he references are obscure stuff from the 1950's and beyond. Just try it and see, if you like Batman they are alot of great Bat family books going on at the moment.

Batman and Robin, Detective Comics, Batman, Red Robin and Batgirl is very good.

Azrael spun out of Battle for the Cowl and isn't really connected to Batman at the moment but its one of my favourite ongoings at the moment.

9. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I think that one of my biggest problems with Batman and Robin was the art. The art is so awful that I couldn't enjoy the story.

10. drill

drill Gotham's White Knight

News Credits:
    I thought Irving's art on Batman and Robin Must Die was awesome, he nailed Pyg and the Joker.

As mentioned, Grant Morrison's run on Batman as a whole is genius. The man can craft a story and make it work. But in order to appreciate everything, you need to read the entire run, again as mentioned. Darth Crusher's list is very good but here's where you should read the volumes not released in TPB yet:
    Batman and Son (Introduces new love interest, the title son, villains for Batman and Robin, certain themes and phrases, and the current incarnation of the Joker)
    Batman The Black Glove (Introduces Club of Heroes, the Black Glove, and again builds upon prevalent themes. Without the full run, this is the book that makes the least sense)
    Batman RIP (Main conclusion to Morrison's first run)
    BATMAN 701-702 (Missing chapter of RIP. Links RIP to Final Crisis and ends where The Return of Bruce Wayne begins. If you want to avoid dealing with other DC characters, this is Batman's view of Final Crisis so everything important is here) Will be released in TPB form as Time and Batman with Batman 700 and 703 in March.
    Final Crisis (Darkseid and the anti life equation)
    The Return of Bruce Wayne (Batman through time and space. This makes clear a lot of Morrison's ideas and themes, and in particular is notable for explaining the origins of Wayne Manor) Will be released in February in HC
    Batman and Robin vol 1 Batman Reborn (New Batman and Robin, introduces several of the villains hinted at in Batman and Son, introduction of Oberon Sexton)
    Batman and Robin vol 2 Batman vs Robin (Wayne Manor is explored and the identity of Sexton is revealed)
    Batman and Robin vol 3 Batman and Robin Must Die (Finale of Morrison's main run, though he will now be writing Batman Inc, so his story isn't over yet)