Customs: quick help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by ambushbug74, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

I looked around but didn't see it, so if discussed before I apologize. I picked up an extra Alt Ricochet and wanted to get the flames off. Just need to know what exactly to do. I know to use isopropyl alcohol but not sure of concentration or force needed. Do I put on the cloth or directly on figure (somehow I feel it will probably be on the cloth). Thanks all.

2. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Folks generally recommend soaking parts of the figure in 90% alcohol and then brushing it off with a toothbrush. There's generally no issue with this, though a little while back folks began to complain that alcohol had made their MP Starscream figures brittle. Then again, folks like REDLINE'll insist that there's no harm in the stuff. My father's warned me that any prolonged exposure to a solvent can't be good for plastic.

My recommendation is to dip the toothbrush into your bottle of 90+% alcohol and then just brush away until the stuff comes off. It takes a bit more effort than soaking, but you minimize the risk, if any, of the alcohol harming the plastic.

3. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    91% Isopropyl alcohol will take off any of those paint decals, like the flames or the window tint... and if you soak it long enough, it'll even remove the paint itself.

As for it making plastic more brittle... I echo Redline's sentiment, as I haven't had any problem with that. I've left figures (including my MP:SS) soaking in alcohol overnight with no ill effect other than every inch of paint falling off the bone.

But yeah, Kouri's advice about using an old toothbrush is a good one.

4. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yep alcohol on a rag (old tshirt maybe?) will work good....just takes some elbow grease is all...the stronger the alcohol the better....

And I have let Alt parts that need to be painted soak in alcohol for days....and to this date, no probs....the longer you let them soak, the easier the factory paint comes off...just remember...if you soak them, the alcohol will remove all the factory paint apps....

5. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
  6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I just dipped a Q-tip into the alcohol bottle and rubbed 'em off, they come off without that much effort.

7. ambushbug74

Awesome, the least amount of effort to do this is all the better. I'm just gonna de-flame him and paint the white silver, just thought he would look nice that way.

8. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Make sure you remove all the paint before you "paint the white silver" (upper legs, waist & head).

9. REDLINE

News Credits:
    so you're makin a sticker-less razerwire? :p 

10. ambushbug74

Yeah, I realized that after I mentioned that.

EDIT: I gotta admit, this guy looks so much better without decals and silver wheels.

11. ambushbug74

I was thinking of making a new thread for this since I don't think anyone would still be interested in this old thread but I had another question. So I plan on putting the Ricochet head on my KO White Hound for a quick and easy Ratchet. I cleaned off the Rico and like I said was painting the white silver. I had planned on putting the Hound head on the Ricochet mold, but the head doesn't fit right, and the only other head I have extra of is Alt. Grimlock who doesn't fit either. Anyone know a really good head scupt that goes on the Subaru mold? I really don't care what head it is, just that it fits right as it's just a generic character for now.

12. REDLINE

News Credits:
    you should be able to mod the heads you have to fit on the mold man, just look at WHY they don't fit :) 

13. ambushbug74

Yeah, I just lack the skills. The Hound head is too thick on the chin area and the Grimlock head has a small area for the ball joint. I dunno how to shave down a ball joint to fix that.

14. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Enlarge the hole in Grimlocks head.

15. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, Hound and Swindle both have the same prob when trying to fit them to the Subaru....you would have to shave a bit off the bottom, and Hound might not look right...plus, I think there still might be a problem with it after that....

As for Grimmy....do you have any junker tfs that have a ball joint with a stem (neck) that will fit into Grimmy's head?.....if so, Rico's neck joint can be removed by unscrewing the screw underneath....you cant remove the screw because of the pin thats there...but you can get the neck joint off....then just drill a pilot hole in the center of the stem (neck) of the new/salvaged neck joint, screw it on...and your done.....