Minor/Repaint: Quick Fix: Universe Springer

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Bovril, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

I finally got hold of this guy (been after one for months) but hated all the arm kibble.

I removed the winch (and will replace it with a gun when I find one suitable)

The Rotor Blade weapon is now removable and stores on the backpack, as seen in the pics. Was a simple job to hollow out a few parts and put lego connectors inside. The mods are pretty discreet and don't hinder any existing features, though it could probably do with some minor paint touch ups here and there.

All in all I think this little bash improves the figure no end :)  Sorry for the cellphone photos - I thought they would be sufficient for something this simple.

Attached Files:

2. kryptofred

kryptofred super-con

Ebay:
    I like it. It changes the mold just enough to make it different from the 5 or so other repaints of it.

3. magnumx

magnumx Well-Known Member

That is one awesome mod way better than having it on the arm.

4. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Bug Drone

Well, he certainly looks better without all that stuff on his arms.

5. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice work. Now make him into a car!

6. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

Thanks guys :)  Springer is one of my favourite characters so I figured he deserved better. Was never a fan of that stubby BotCon thing.

I'm sketching out plans for a triple changer Springer actually... could be a way off though. I'm gonna have to fix this one up with magnets, since the Lego has been suffering stress issues. Looks like I'll have to get over my magnet hatred.

7. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

Warning: Negative content

You have got to be kidding me. Know what you should have done with the rotor? ARTICULATED HIS HANDS SO HE COULD USE THE FOLDED VERSION AS A SWORD! Like... oh, I don't know... SPRINGER! And you should have left the mount on his arm in the meantime so he could still use it as some kind of weapon. Moving it to his back is dumb. Where they were before, they were still a weapon like with the original Springer toy. What you've done has made the toy less like him. And the winch should have stayed. Catch the hook on a Decepticon, then press the button and to yank them off their feet. As for "That stubby BotCon thing", Hot Shot's head takes several cues from Springer. Plus, he had a sword.

8. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

The concept was to reduce kibble, not make him more "accurate" or resemble the original toy - especially since the altmode doesn't remotely resemble said toy anyway. From the previous responses it would appear this is a desirable quality.

That rotor wouldn't be able to fold into a particularly sword-like shape, and I personally feel that rotor blade weapons look stupid. I prefer all of my TFs to have their hands 'free' to gesticulate or hold accessories, and I have no interest whatsoever in G1 design features.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, of course, but there's no need to relay it in such a derogatory manner. I would have expected a more mature response from somebody of your age.

9. VectorPrime404

VectorPrime404 Banned

I apologize. Springer did have a sword as one of his signature weapons, though. And the collapsed form of the rotor was used as a sword be Evac in the Cybertron cartoon, and could be by the toy as well - if it had articulated hands to grip it with. My thinking is that giving him a sword would make him more Springer-like. If you're not happy with the Evac rotor as is forming a sword, you could always kitbash it into a more suitable one. It would make him feel more like Springer to me.

I don't think moving the rotor to his back is good kibble reduction, though. Not as is. Seems to me that would tend to get in the way. To my mind, it's good to have something be functional in both modes.

10. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

No worries.

I guess this shows there's just no accounting for taste. Personally I feel it's less 'in the way' than on the arm since it allows for more posability... and can be left on the arm if you wish. I feel that a rotor blade is so visually distinctive, disguising it as something else is always going to look tacky. At least on the back it still spins, somewhat adding to his 'flight mode' (a'la Movie Starscream's jets).

In all honesty, I'd never really associated Springer with swords - but then I'm basing that mainly on IDW works, which I see you're not a big fan of. I can't stomach 80s G1 so have probably missed out there somewhat. I'll look into arming him as such.

Needless to say, if I was making this custom for someone else, I'd tailor it to their preferences. Perhaps the triple changer version I have planned will be more to your tastes, albeit not very G1 either :p 

incredibly belated edit: Just a footnote to say this figure is an absolute bitch to paint, and even worse to dismantle. Sadly he ended up on the scrap heap after 50+ hours of resculpting.