Minor/Repaint: Quick fix for Transformers Prime Arcee's wings.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by J.T.Silversmith, Dec 31, 2011.

1. J.T.Silversmith

J.T.Silversmith Active Member

I really wanted the Transformers Prime Arcee figure, but like many of you I didn't know if I would like the way here "wings" were mounted on her arms rather than her back. However I had an idea that I thought might improve things a bit. Once I transformed her for the first time I realized she had bicep swivels, and my idea would be easy to try. It worked really well, so I thought I would post it here so others could try it.
    What I did was cut out a bit of the shoulder socket for the ball joint so that the shoulder could be flipped and rotated during transformation. This moved the point the wing attaches to the arm from the outside front of the shoulder to the inside back section of the shoulder.
    After modification the wing looks like it is in the correct position, it curves outward instead of inward, and the smaller point on the wing is now the lower one, which in my opinion are all improvements. It is still not perfect,
    because the wing is still attached to the arm and, in some arm positions looks a little awkward, but I think it is better than it was originally, and If I want I can still transform her normally, and the modification is almost invisible.
    If you want to try it, the first step is to pop the shoulder off of the ball joint in robot mode. then you hold the bicep and pull up on the wingtip, pushing it past the stop that keeps it from moving further upward. Chances are that when you do you will snap off the small blue tab that stops the wing from moving too far upward. This is what we want, if you managed to not break it you will have to cut it off anyway. There is a second stop for the wing, but I left it alone. The eighth picture (called step1.jpg) should show you what it looks like after you have done this. I pointed to where the broken peg was with a red arrow.
    The next step is to cut a section of the socket out of the shoulder, so the post the ball joint is on can pass through, letting you lift the shoulder a full 180 degrees during transformation. Looking at the shoulder socket with the arm pointing up like in the picture, you can see the rectangular hole in the socket. Below that is the thinnest part of the socket that lets the arm lift up in robot mode. You need to cut through the thin part of the shoulder to leave a wide enough space to let the shoulder post fit through.
    After that I used super glue to reinforce the friction points of the socket to make sure the ball and socket fit firmly in place, and don't pop out easily. after that you can put the arms back on normally, then you lift the wing foreword enough to lift the arms out to the sides in a T shape. Now rotate the shoulders 180 degrees front to back so the wing is on bottom side of the arm. Push the arms back down so the post of the ball joint is through the cut we made in the shoulder. Rotate the bicep joint to turn the elbow and hand the right direction and you are good to go.

Attached Files:

2. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It may make the wings upside down, but the end result is great!

3. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron Unicron Herald BladeZero

News Credits:
    did you noticed that this mod makes her much more accurated to her show counterpart?
    thats really cool

4. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

I do believe he mentioned that the goal was to make her more show accurated... Everybody loves show accuratedness.

Cool mod! I may do this before I start sculpting and painting on mine here.

5. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    This is neat!:thumb  Great idea you have man. I might try it if I'm brave enough! Does the mode still lets Arcee transform?

6. adypax

adypax Heroic Maximal!!

i did it and it transforms just nice

7. dominomist

dominomist Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wonderful idea. Will try it out sometime. Thanks for sharing

8. meisterworks

meisterworks Well-Known Member

she looks slimmer and nicer. more feminine. i like.
    thanks for sharing.

9. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Cool mod. It makes a big improvement.

10. Saberfrost01

Saberfrost01 元ロボ ダイユーシャ

What's the strengh/breakability of the joints after procedre compared to before?

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    It's a neat mod, but I'm not sure it's an improvement. In the show, they are on her back, but they point outward to the sides. Not straight back...

12. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Super nice little mod ya got there! Makin a smexy fembot even smexier..hehe

Just got mine the other day from BBTS, now I'm gonna have to do this to her along with the other mods I've got planned for her. Job well done sir! :thumb 

13. J.T.Silversmith

J.T.Silversmith Active Member

Kaijuguy19, yes it is still transformable.
    Saberfrost01, I was a bit concerned that the arms would not stay on or something, but it is fine, I let my 8 year old son transform it and play with it, and there were no problems at all.

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Doing this. Awesome job!