Quick, easy fixes for 6Ti Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Autobus Prime, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

My 6Ti Megatron broke, adding injury to insult. The repairs went so well that I felt unusually motivated, and ended up fixing some of his worst faults. Please note that these repairs are cheap and quite effective, but not perfect. Don't go out and pay $15 for a Megatron, expecting to make him worth that much, but if you already have one, or find him for cheap, or just like the look of his design (as I actually do), then read on!

If I had a camera, I'd take pictures; unfortunately it's not working right now, hence the mighty Paintbrush art.

Materials used are super glue and a Transformers pack bubble. Cybertron bubbles work well. You will also need a drill and a hobby knife. I also used a file, wire cutters, house wire, and a vise for some steps, but you can do most of these repairs without them. Drills were used in my crank-type "eggbeater" hand drill; if you don't have one, I recommend a pin vise or perhaps a motor tool; I definitely wouldn't use the big Milwaukee hammer drill here.

Reference:
    [​IMG]

First, the repair. Megatron's hip peg snapped off. I could have glued it, but it's stronger to pin it, as shown in figure 1. Bare copper house wire was used, and a drill that allowed a nice tight press fit. I think the wire was #12 AWG solid copper...buy a foot at your friendly neighborhood electrical supplier, or some hardware stores. After assembling the parts by hand as shown, I twisted them to align the break, coated the wire and broken plastic thinly with super glue, and pressed the parts together carefully but quickly in my vise, before the glue could set. Very strong!

Now the upgrades. Figure 2 shows the most striking one - fixing the loose hips. Disassemble the torso carefully; leave the gray struts attached to the hip halves. Now make some shims from the pack-bubble, and use as many thicknesses as you must. I used two,but one hip could have used three. Placing the plastic pieces together, drill them, then cut away the excess material on two sides of the hole. Round the corner and snip through the end, to get the appearance of Fig. 2. Now push the shims in beside the strut until they snap into place around the metal rod. Drill a hole through the shims where needed to clear the torso rod, then trim away the excess. Do the same for both hips, then assemble them to the torso. Please don't put them or the "M" in upside-down.

While you have the torso apart, obtain 2 screws the same size as those used to assemble Megatron. I got mine from some old Batman missile launcher. Cut these screws short, if necessary - you want the threaded part about 3/32" - 1/8" long - and perhaps file the head a bit thinner. Now screw these gently - they must NOT be tight - into the open ends of the shoulder snap-pegs. See Figure 4. Megatron's screw size gives you just enough bite on the threads to keep the screws from falling out, and that's /all/ you want. Now assemble the shoulder brace to the torso, put the head and leg-retainer pegs back, and carefully reassemble the torso. When doing this, gently spin the screws backwards, so that they 'click' against the threads. This will help you get them into the pre-existing threads instead of cutting new (weaker) ones.

See how nicely his hips hold together now! Feel how tight the struts and shoulders are! It's almost like a /real/ Transformer, yes?

I haven't yet figured out how to fix the upper-arm slides, but never mind that. Remove and disassemble the forearms. Previously, i had stuffed these areas with foam rubber to stiffen the elbow joint. It worked, but I could never get enough in without popping the arm loose. We could use the nail-varnish trick here, but since these are weird ball-joints, where the ball is mostly retained on its stem side, it will wear quickly, and there's a much more fun way to fix this. Make plastic shims and super-glue them to the metal piece, as shown in Fig. 5. You will have to trim a small amount from the plastic arm half to clear these shims; they should extend all the way to the elbow end of the metal. The super glue holds well enough to work, but not so permanently that you can't remove the shims later with a razor knife. Reassemble and snap the elbow balls in. Tightened up!

We can't add heelspurs easily, but we can give Megatron better feet. Disassemble the legs and add pack-bubble washers between the feet and legs. This will tighten them enough to be actually useful in posing. While the legs are disassembled, you may also want to improve knee and hip articulation. Carefully clamp the leg parts in a soft-jawed vise, and file away material as shown in Figures 6 and 7. Don't remove too much! The hips (Fig. 7) are less risky, but you don't want to damage the plastic hip sockets. Be very very careful at the knees. I removed too much material, and the hinges aren't as rigid as they used to be; this caused trouble when I dropped Megatron and one bent imperceptibly, just enough that the knee was suddenly very loose. You may want to leave well enough alone here.

Good luck!

2. NegaPrime

NegaPrime Banned

While I appreciate your effort, I don't think ANYTHING will ever truly improve this mold.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Good work on the retool, dude. I returned mine, just because I was totally interested in doing any sort of repair to him.

4. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Damn, man! Those are some detailed instructions! I may actually have to do this!

5. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Folks:

Errata (sigh) and addenda:

The drawing, it turns out, is slightly inaccurate in parts -- the notch on the elbow-shim faces out, toward the elbow, not in. Other inaccuracies are just cosmetic. That's what happens when you try to draw from memory.

Also: beware of beveling the hips too far. You don't want to break right through the metal.

Now for some good news: as it turns out, I didn't weaken the knees at all. I was a turbo-revvin' punk and left a piece out...specifically, a plastic I-shaped internal pawl for his two-position leg ratchets. When I found this out, I filed the knee joints a bit more, then assembled the legs properly...no problems! I think they can bend at least 45 degrees now...I should get some photos.