Customs: Quick cleaning tip

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Ramrider, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

We pretty much all know about the release agent found on TFs out of the box, and that if you want your paintwork to properly adhere to your figure, your best bet is to give it a good clean first. Well, I'm a lazy git, and pretty impatient to boot, so I can rarely be bothered to disassemble a fig, wash all the parts in soapy water, then wait for them to dry before I can even start painting.

But I've recently discovered a handy de-greasing agent that I've not seen mentioned before, and that most of us probably already have at home.

Waterless hand cleaner.

I just brush it onto the figure roughly with an old paintbrush, and leave it for a little while to dry (or wipe it off with a bit of tissue if I'm really impatient :p ). It's alcohol-based, so it cuts through the grease in the release agent, and evaporates really quickly with barely a trace, so your first coat of paint should adhere that much better. :D 

2. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Awesome, thanks for the tip :) 

3. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

You are talking about hand sanitizer right?
    Just to make sure because I dont wanna put the wrong stuff on my figs. X_X

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

Gives me a reason to buy Dettol instant hand sanitizer. Or any hand sanitizer. I mean, we all know the stuff doesn't work (am i the only one who still has that nagging feeling that i'm not clean, if i don't wash my hands under running water?), but at least now it has a purpose. :lol 

5. Anti-Venom

Anti-Venom Well-Known Member

Yea I prefer to do the same thing and wash my hands.
    But it does come in handy on car trips.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

pleasure, sir. Anything to help kitbashers get lazier! :p 

Very probably. It's the alcohol-based gel; if it melts in your hand and evaporates in seconds, that's probably the stuff you're after. :p 

No, you're not the only one by any means; if my hands feel sweaty or greasy, the waterless cleaner doesn't make 'em feel any better to me... but it turns out, it does make my figures less greasy. Who knew? :D 

7. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

And how, pray tell, did you find this out? Were you just so lazy one day that you said to yourself "Fuck it, i'll just pour random liquids from around the house onto this Universe Prowl and let chemistry do the rest!"? :lol 

And yeah, for some reason, my mind instantly pictures this witha Universe Prowl. I don't know why, but subconsciously, that figure pops up into my head. Maybe because it's infamous for sticky paint, i dunno. Just curious as to how you found out about it, though.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Actually, it was HFTD Brawn. :p 
    I pretty much saw the cleaner lying around, and figured the alcohol might work as a degreaser, so I squeezed a drop onto the end of an old brush and scrubbed it on to see if it worked. :) 

9. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Excellent tip, man! I'll have to try that out sometime.

10. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So where does the grease actually go? This stuff cuts through it, then...it evaporates it?

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I suppose it does. I'm not entirely sure of the physics behind it; all I know is it works. :p 

12. C. Wallace

C. Wallace Freelance Artist

Not surprising since hand sanitizer can be used to get grease stains out of clothing (my laundry tip for the day). Just don't use any version that has additives like aloe or anything.

Personally I would not trust this as a method to prep something for paint, especially if your not rinsing it after to ensure there is no residue left. It doesn't take a whole lot of contaminant to mess up your paint job.

I think if you use the sanitizer, then rinse and dry, it may be a better way to go. I mean if your going to do it, do it right. I know you said your impatient, but just imagine if due to poor planning you have to do something twice.

FYI: I do a 24hr soak/scrub in Purple Power rinse and let dry, a fairly common, tried and true method of prep for models. It reaches every nook and cranny and breaks down any greases. You can coat a part in Vaseline, drop it into Purple Power overnight and there wont be a trace left the next day. ;) 

13. JeeBee

JeeBee do as i command

ah thanks , worked great

14. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    now where to get that in Holland :(  ?

15. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I would have thought it should be easily found either in a supermarket or a chemist.