Quick Alt. Mirage chest fix

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mx-01 archon, Aug 7, 2006.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anybody who has Alt. Mirage now has probably found that the chest doesn't quite work as intended. The hood piece is supposed to clip onto two black fold-out panels. Problem is, due to the "snap points" on the hinges for those panels, they naturally want to rest in a position that makes this rather impossible. You might manage to get the hood precariously connected, but any bit of jostling will pop it free again.

The solution is pretty simple. If you close those black panels, you'll see a ridge along the edge of the hinge. Take a sharp exacto knife or similar, and slice that ridge off. This'll allow a lot more play in the hinge movement, and they won't collapse on you anymore. After doing so, you'll find that the slots that the chest clips into are too loose. Here, break out your trusty superglue, and apply a dab to the top and bottom edges of the tabs on the hood, and press them into the slots for a couple of seconds. You can pop the tabs in and out a couple of times, to make sure the friction is still sufficient as the glue shrinks and hardens. It might take a few tries to build up enough friction, but eventually, it'll hold solid.

2. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hmmm....I don't know if I trust myself to do that.

3. mblase

mblase Well-Known Member

I don't think those pieces are supposed to clip on, exactly. I just keep them pivoted at a 45-degree angle when he's in robot mode. They don't attach to the chest piece, but they cover up the opening just fine.

4. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    They're supposed to clip on to the tabs on the hood piece. You can see the slots that are supposed to connect the pieces together.

Even check the instructions, which show them doing just that. Just that in practice, it doesn't work. His chest isn't supposed to flop around wildly.

5. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Before and after pics please.:D 

6. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Too late for the before pics :p . And the after is just the pieces fitting together like they're supposed to, which in turn isn't a whole lot different looking than without the fix. It's just a heckuva lot sturdier.

7. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    I think :useless 

Not to be a smartass, but if you could take step-by-step pics, that would be great. thanks

8. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Step-by-step is an impossibility for me, since the operation's done and over with. If you pull out your Mirage, it shouldn't be that hard to decipher what to do.

Best I can do is point you to where you need to make the operations.

Round out the hinges here:
    [​IMG]

Put a dab of glue at each of these spots (or as I said earlier, on the tabs themselves. You're sticking the two parts together anyways, so it'll end up the same once you're done):
    [​IMG]

9. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    Me neither...:( 

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I dunno if I trust myself to do that either. I gave up trying to get the pieces to clip in, so I just have the hinges folded on top of the chest. It looks a little weird but the chest/ hood piece doesn;t move around at all.