Questions to G1 Collectors About Stickers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 2punish&enslave, May 3, 2012.

1. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I recently purchased a boxed Starscream. It is complete except for the stickers. There are sellers on eBay (TKKingdom and doufaceb I believe) that sell sets that appear to be identical to the originals except much cheaper. I also found a seller that is selling an authentic set for a lot more.

Question 1. If I decide to buy an authentic set of stickers will they still stick well? I'm concered because they are nearly 30 years old.

Question 2. How important is it to you as a collector that the stickers be authentic?

Question 3. Although I do not intend to re-sell my TFs do you think it hurts the value of them if I apply reproduction stickers?

Thanks.

2. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't know if the stickers will stick well. I just opened a 5 year old reissue Ratchet, and the stickers won't stay on.
    As a collector, who has no intention of selling my collection, I'm okay with repolabels.

3. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    1. They won't stick as well, the glue's probably mostly deteriorated.

2. To me, stickers are a minor issue. They seem to peel or scratch anyway, or were applied crooked.

3. Not any more than if the originals were missing or look like crap.

Buy these: Reprolabels.com - Starscream

4. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you're talking about the guy in Houston, don't waste your money. His stickers are HORRIBLE.

They are often cut incorrectly and lighter than they should be when compared to the originals. I just got a set of Wheeljack stickers for 99 cents and I feel like I got 99 cents worth of stickers lol.

Buy Reprolabels!

As for the original question, I wouldn't sweat it. Condition is what every is worried about, stickers are probably one of the last things anyone things about when making a G1 purchase. Joints, chrome, damage? Yep, I'll ask but stickers? Nah, most of them were applied by 6 year olds anyway, so you know they look terrible lol.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Question 1. If I decide to buy an authentic set of stickers will they still stick well? I'm concered because they are nearly 30 years old.

As others have said, they may not. I think you're taking a chance on spending a lot of money here when reproduction labels would be the way to go.

Question 2. How important is it to you as a collector that the stickers be authentic?

I really pride myself on things being vintage (such as parts, etc.), but this is one area that doesn't bother me in the least, especially when the differences are so very minimal. I'd rather have a figure that looks super authentic here. I know that's a bit hypocritical given my previous statement, but I think one would be hard-pressed to be some of the reproduction labels out there. Parts can be an entirely different issue.

Question 3. Although I do not intend to re-sell my TFs do you think it hurts the value of them if I apply reproduction stickers?

I really don't think so. However, I think you need to just be upfront and honest when you do, as this topic can very from collector to collector. Honestly, if you're really this concerned about how the value is affected, I think I'd recommend not applying replacement labels.

6. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

Reprolabels. :thumbs2: 

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think you would be hard pressed to find a person who wasn't happy with Reprolabels.

8. 2punish&enslave

2punish&enslave Starscream's Brigade

Ebay:
    I'm glad to hear that most collectors out there are cool with reproduction stickers. I've ordered from Reprolabels before for my Binaltech figures and was very happy with them. I purchased a couple of sets of the TFKingdom stickers because a) they were cheap and b) the layout on the sheets is the same as the G1 originals. I have not applied them yet though. I think I'll just pick up some Reprolabels instead. I need to pick up a few more sets for my TFC Toys Hercules figures anyhow.

On a similar note how do you guys feel about reproduction bubble inserts? I see a lot of people using these now. It seems like the bubble inserts and their cardboard backing are the most likely things to be missing from a boxed figure. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole reprobubble thing. One thing is for sure though if you want to try and purchase original bubbles/backings it ain't cheap. When I see that they are missing I just skip those auctions.

9. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you get some of that resticky sticker-making stuff (I use a Xyron thing, it's on Amazon and I imagine can be found for cheap at craft stores: Amazon.com: Xyron 150 "X" Create-a-Sticker Machine Assorted Colors: Arts, Crafts & Sewing) then you can use that to reapply adhesive to an original set of stickers. At this point I run ALL of my stickers for reissues and original stuff, no matter how recent the toy was released, through that thing because some sticker sets suck (my Collection Insecticons and Encore Sky Lynx, Hoist and Trailbreaker stickers sucked something fierce out of the box).

Otherwise, Reprolabels are a great option. I still need to pick up some replacement stickers for my Landfill, Quickmix and Quake.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Bubbleformers is a great place. The work is top notch as well.

For "mib" stuff, I'd much rather have the original, but repro bubble inserts provide a nice alternative and display very well.