Customs: Questions regarding customizing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Edwardmus Prime, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Curious and Creative Man

So, I have been considering customizing for the past few years as things oftentimes inspire me. Most recently, I became interested in Nitro Zeus, Alpha Bravo, and Solus Prime customs. I am not a 3D creator, however, all of my creativity has been restrained to text and drawings (most of it irrelevant to this site.)

But I do have creative drive. Also not very much space to work (my most considered workspace at the moment is a room... with a pool table not at my house.) Or very much money.

I went about reading our tutorials here regarding customs, and I found that there are still questions hanging in the air. I had thought I had a good grasp on things, but that isn't the case. Keep in mind that I want to keep things as nontoxic as possible, considering my workspace and also I intend to hand paint.
    • What are the best brushes to use? I have a Hobby Lobby nearby, which is what I intend to use to get my supplies. I intend to both cover large areas and paint in small details.
    • What type of sand paper should I use and where to get it?
    • How long so I sand a part?
    • Since I am using a brush, what are my options for primer? Is primer necessary?
    • About primer, how would I go about doing such a thing? In fact, how do I best use my time and make sure that every surface that is to be painted gets primed and painted?
    • Do I clean before or after sanding?
    • I hear that Future is a good product and that it reduces brush strokes. Does this imply that I can use it as a paint thinner. I hear it's durable, so would I need to seal the paint if I use it?
    • I hear Future makes it super glossy, but I want it to resemble a Hasbro product. Is there a way to make it less glossy?
    • Future is a thinner, or is it not?
    • What Pledge bottle am I looking for? I hear that it keeps changing.
    • What kind of sealant should I go for?
    • If I want to replicate the "Hasbro" silvers, golds and greys, what are my best and most affordable options?
    • What brand of paints should I use as a beginner? Keep in mind what I said earlier about not wanting anything toxic.
    • How do I clean a brush?
    • What are the exact instructions on painting? How do I paint "a thin layer" like advised?
    • What tools are necessary? What sizes and brands should I look for?
    • I fiddle with and transform my toys a lot, so how do I maintain the paint, make sure the toy doesn't break and not goof up like, say, grabbing up the toy too early?
    • I cannot watch videos because of my data speed. Oh, and they have cats. That's probably important.
    Honestly, as much as it would be thrilling to get into taking Transformers into my own hands, I have considered looking into commissioning so long as that it means I get the toy. Money is low, however — I actually intend to buy supplies slowly over the course of a few months.

I hope this isn't considered spam-ish, but it was so different from the other thread I recently made that I figured I needed a new topic. If it's considered too much/unnecessary, may it be merged with my other recent thread?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My general advice is this:
    Start slow

Understand there is no one answer to any of your questions.

Practice. Becoming good at anything takes practice. No matter what you have to put time in. Most of that time will not be productive.

My tactical advice is this:
    Use testors model master acrylics in flat finish. There are other model paint brands, but I don't have much experience with other brands.

Start with two brushes. One flat/shader and one detail. Practice with those. Your experience with those will dictate what to buy next. They wear out, so document what brands and size you like and don't like. I buy hundreds of brushes a year, in bulk.
    • What are the best brushes to use? I have a Hobby Lobby nearby, which is what I intend to use to get my supplies. I intend to both cover large areas and paint in small details.
    You don't need the best. You just need a couple to get started. Hobby lobby should have everything you need.
    • What type of sand paper should I use and where to get it?
    Fine grit. 400 or higher. Plastic is very soft. Even a paper towel will abrade it. Get it at a hardware store.
    • How long so I sand a part?
    Depends.
    • Since I am using a brush, what are my options for primer? Is primer necessary?
    Depends. I rarely use primer, it adds another layer to the surface, which leads to more rubbing and more noticeable paint. Most model paints are meant to bond with plastic. That being said, depending on paint you use, some are meant to use primer.
    • About primer, how would I go about doing such a thing? In fact, how do I best use my time and make sure that every surface that is to be painted gets primed and painted?
    Depends.
    • Do I clean before or after sanding?
    Before.
    • I hear that Future is a good product and that it reduces brush strokes. Does this imply that I can use it as a paint thinner. I hear it's durable, so would I need to seal the paint if I use it?
    • I hear Future makes it super glossy, but I want it to resemble a Hasbro product. Is there a way to make it less glossy?
    • Future is a thinner, or is it not?
    • What Pledge bottle am I looking for? I hear that it keeps changing.
    Future is ok but in my experience, it does not hide brush strokes, is not as durable as good model paint, and has mixed results for finishing. Flat finish paints will be more forgiving for brush strokes and you can buff them into a "factory-like" semi gloss finish with a paper towel.
    • What kind of sealant should I go for?
    Don't need it unless your paint product requires it.
    • If I want to replicate the "Hasbro" silvers, golds and greys, what are my best and most affordable options?
    I like P3 silver paint, over Testor model master neutral gray for a decent silver. It's what I used for the drill on this. But again, no one answer.

Minor/Repaint: - Miner / Repaint :
    • What brand of paints should I use as a beginner? Keep in mind what I said earlier about not wanting anything toxic.
    Testors model master acrylic flat finish.
    • How do I clean a brush?
    Depends. If acrylic, soap and water.
    • What are the exact instructions on painting? How do I paint "a thin layer" like advised?
    This comes with practice.
    • What tools are necessary? What sizes and brands should I look for?
    • I fiddle with and transform my toys a lot, so how do I maintain the paint, make sure the toy doesn't break and not goof up like, say, grabbing up the toy too early?
    Acrylic dries fast and is durable if applied correctly.
    • I cannot watch videos because of my data speed. Oh, and they have cats. That's probably important.
    My condolences.

• Like Like x 2
  3. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Can't agree more with Peter's reply. If l had anything to add l would say don't be afraid to fail. You only learn and progress through failures. I have literally bins full of failed projects. Even as an experienced tinkerer, l still fail. And learn more every time.