Questions on G1 production runs and rarity

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by motorhead9999, May 15, 2011.

1. motorhead9999

motorhead9999 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I was thinking the other day. I'm sure when we're all looking at things on ebay (either buying or selling), the word "rare" comes up quite often. So that got me wondering exactly how rare the G1 transformers are. We know they were best selling toys and all that, but approx. how many of each figure were ever made? There are endless amounts of Wheelies, Huffers and Warpaths for instance, yet even many of the Powermasters are seemingly a bit odder in popping up. For instance, how many Fort Max's were ever produced? Now, obviously we know that lots of these toys were destroyed, thrown away or whatnot, so its fairly impossible to have a survivability prediction, or completeness prediction.

To take matters further, what about some of the really elusive Japanese exclusives like the solo headmasters, or the cassettes? What are estimated production runs on those?

2. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

American released G1 figures are not rare they produced alot. Its hard to get them complete and in good shape for some of them. The later end toys like the micromaster bases and some of the Pretenders are hard to get complete. Targetmaster Scourge might be one of the hardest to find. Fort Max is the American Grail of Transformers. The Japanese items are harder to get especially if you want to jump into it now its going to cost $$$$$$

3. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

It would be interesting to know original production runs.

As for survivability numbers. On top of all the ones that were just thrown away or broken, you have the ones that were destroyed by floods, mudslides, fire, tornadoes, hurricanes, etc.
    Every year the number of toys has to drop from all these disasters! Natural or otherwise.

I have a huge fire proof safe in my house that I keep my FortMax and other high priced G1 figures in when leaving my house for vacation or any other considerable amount of time.

4. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    :bowdown: 

5. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    I can get a C8.5-9 complete... PM :p 
    (just needs repro labels if you really want it perfect)

6. combaticon164

combaticon164 Warlord of Floriduh

Thanks for looking out but I got a complete one years ago with the stickers still on the sheet and with the bubble backing, All I need is the box lol.

7. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just checking, but are you sure it's the sort of fireproof you're hoping for? Fireproof safes, for the most part, are not designed to keep the contents from getting quite hot, more than enough to cause deformation or melting of plastic. They're just supposed to keep the contents from actually combusting or charring.

8. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just checking, but are you sure it's the sort of fireproof you're hoping for? Fireproof safes, for the most part, are not designed to keep the contents from getting quite hot, more than enough to cause deformation or melting of plastic. They're just supposed to keep the contents from actually combusting or charring so that money or valuable paperwork stays intact.

9. LifePincher

LifePincher BBTS is the SOURCE!

I would hope so, as I did a little bit of research before buying it.

Yea', I would like my melted Fort Max with a side of bacon please :lol 

10. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Targetmaster Scourge tends to be considered quite a genuinely rare toy because it was short-packed in its original assortments back in 1987.

rare is a hard one to quantify, for example some Japanese recoloured Diaclones have ended up being rare because I am certain the later repaints were such awful quality (see Trainrobo) that they probably broke a lot back in the day and ended up in the bin. Also they were on sale at the same time as Transformers in Japan, same shelves in toystores, so may well have been wholesale ignored thanks to the whole TF craze sweeping the world at the time.

All the best
    Maz

11. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    Seacons were extremly easy and sold in hugh quanteties in Sweden and most parts of Europe compared to the US. Before the reissue a original complete piranacon (loose) would go for several 100$'s.

12. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    None are really rare, because they reissue most of the rare items so much that most are all over now. The reissues killed most of the g1s, just look at how many times they reissue optimus prime in his g1 form. Then the high quality ko reissues came out. Then nothing is going to be rare anymore. In time we will get exact reissues of everything in g1. Seriously if they never reissue or ko any of them. Well then they could have worth alot of dough. But on the bright side at least now we can all afford the g1s at a somewhat reasonable price.