Customs: Questions for the Airbrush artists

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Nemesis Predaking, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been thinking about trying out Airbrushing.

I was wondering, what the best way to go about this is.
    Would the cheapo kits that I have seen at craft stores be good enough to start out with ????
    Any good websites to check out for tips for NooB's wanting to learn ???
    Basically anything you could tell me about starting out would be great.

Thanks guys
    NP

Attached Files:

2. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

well all i use an airbrush for is basic coats. i have not got into shading and other technique with one yet. i have a cheap one but i am not sure i would recommend it. it takes some Patience to make it work right. my advice would be to start with a single action one first i believe the one pictured is a dual action gravity feed. if you are good with a rattle can the airbrush will make you wonder why you did not buy an airbrush sooner. also the main thing to know is to thin your paints i thin mine by 50% in most cases depending on the color and if its acrylic or enamel. also the pressure you use on is usually at 40 psi. i like airbrush because of the control over thick or thin coats and the control over drying time. also i can get some dramatic effects with enamel metallics cut with black by how close or far from the piece i am spraying

3. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Basically, the two types are-
    Single-action: Push the button and get air and paint at once. Good for base-coats and simple masked shading.
    Double-action: Push the button, get airflow, pull back to release paint into the airstream. Good for everything.
    Also-
    Gravity-fed airbrushes have a built-in reservoir cup. There's also the side/bottom cup style, which is better for larger projects with custom colors you plan on making a batch of and saving for later.

40 to 50 psi is a good setting for most projects and will get you a good, constant flow. I don't recommend disposable air cans, though. They freeze around the tops when used for a duration and (in my experience) can cause air-hose damage. They're also expensive.
    For a cheap, reusable airsource, get a 20-30 gallon air tank and a portable tire compressor. The tank will last longer than an air can and makes up for the cost in about three sessions.

Name brands of airbrushes include Paache, Iwata (bought by->),Badger, Aztek and Testors. There are others, but the ones I listed are the ones I've used. I prefer Iwata. It's an all-around good brush. Something with replacable parts like needles and springs is always a good way to go.

If you want an air compressor, avoid the diaphram style. They 'pulse' the air out and can cause sputtering in the paint. Also, a moisture trap on the air hose is essential. Condensation builds up in the air line over time, and the trap keeps it from getting into the paint.

Paint- Most art-supply stores sell airbrush paint that's pre-thinned and of good quality. Otherwise, watering paint down and using a tiny drop of acetone works good, too.

4. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Great and timely question NP! I too am thinking of making the jump to airbrushing. I've used 'em before a long time ago when I built aircraft models, used a single action.

Thanks as well to Anovasinn, and Yaujta, for posting their tips, and info. Some of it after I read the posts jarred my memory. I think I'll go with a double action this time around, and thanks to all who post their insight on airbrushing!:thumbs2: 

***Off I go to the tutorials section to see what's cookin' there for airbrushing!***:confused2 

5. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
  6. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I just recently (well... like four months ago...) bought a Mr. Hobby (Japanese brand) airbrush kit with the good ole air can as I've yet to come across an air compressor overseas. I'm sure I'm just not snooping around enough.

Unfortunately I haven't even taken my airbrush out of the box yet, though. As soon as I do, and put it to the test, I'll be more than happy to share my experiences with you, NP.

I have every intention of using it for my Predaking 2.0 project (as well as subsequent combiners and customs), and want as much detail as I can get onto the figure. After seeing some of the airbrush work by the guys here, I felt it was time for me to quit being a lil punk and get my hands dirty, so to speak. :) 

- Alty

7. Yaujta

News Credits:
    I'd personally like to push the use of double-action brushes. Single-action, while a good base for learning, just doesn't have the control needed for better detail and economy. I learned 13 years ago on a double-action Badger 150 and never looked back. Of course I tried out a single, but the lack of full control over air/paint flow did nothing for me.

For small to medium projects, like models and toys, gravity fed is a great design. Just add paint/ink as you go. Personally, I use a bottom cup, mainly because my projects have been more motorcycle helmets and car hoods where having un-interrupted paint flow is essential.

I plan on re-building my airbrush station after the holidays, so maybe I'll throw something together in terms of tutorials. It'll coincide with my first true Transformer build, so having the airbrush available will be a good thing.

8. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Cool topic. This is where I learnt the basics of airbrushing

http://www.howtoairbrush.com/airbrush_lesson_1.htm

I'm now using a MR Hobby PS289W airbrush and I'm loving it. It's a dual action airbrush with an extremely smooth paint flow. I usually work at very low pressures. 15-20 psi. And my paints to thinner ratio are usually at 20/80.

9. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I dove in head first 15 years ago and bought one of Iwata's best airbrushes...and still use it (using it as I write this) It's a Iwata HP-C I believe, and never gives me problems, except when I leave paint in it to dry haha.

Duel-action is awesome, you can precisely spray anything from pencil thin lines to spray can amounts by moving your finger a fraction of an inch.

Mine is also gravity feed. I find this best for small projects, like custom TFs - small amounts of color, clean, add new color. Very simple to use.

10. Yaujta

News Credits:
    Little trick-
    Don't clean the original color in a gravity-feed if going to shading. Adding a small amount of the opposite color (red to green, purple to yellow, etc) makes for smooth and more subtle transitions. Takes practice, but when you're in the groove, so to speak, it's easy (and less annoying than fast cleaning).

11. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Altitron: That would be cool, I would love the hear about how a "NooB" finds airbrushing for the first time.

& hurry up with that Predaking 2.0 would you.

Yaujta: We can always use more tutorials around here, I'm sure I would not be the only one to find in useful.

Sabsabby85: Thanks that is just the kind of thing I've been looking for. 20/80 WOW that is really thin.

12. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    Yeah. It's about there coz I like to work with very fine paints. Thin layers through and through. Some of the paints I use are very thick straight from the bottle. So I thin it by a lot.

13. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with Mikey, try and save up and get the best one you can afford, you wont regret it. I use a Micron CM-C Plus(Been working on my car painting skills) and I have not regretted it. Run it at 40psi with almost anything and no problems. Sabrina's link is awesome too, definitely something to read through.

14. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Tony: Funny that you mention car painting. I paint all the trucks for my work.
    I've been wondering if airbrushing is really that much more different then painting a whole truck.
    I have to think it's the same in ways but in others not so much.

15. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Let me just say dual action. Iwata Eclispe gravity feed. Do not waste your money on anything else. Bottle feeds are a pain and need more pressure.

Check out my site web.mac.com/enclinedesigns and almost everything you see was done with that gun.

order here http://www.coastairbrush.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ECL4500

Why from there? Well, the ones you buy from there are made to handle water base paints and urethanes (you should know about those from painting cars). The bushings are all teflon and will not be eaten away with solvents. Plus, they will not rust with water.

But that is just my 2 cents.

16. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:

You would think so. :lol 
    I do the best with what I have. I wish I was better equipped & trained.
    Everything I have learned is more or less self taught. I got the basic "this is how this work speech"
    and was left to my own ways to figure out how to best mix my paint for the trucks. It's very half-assed
    & I fight everyday to get better equipment, hell after 4 years of bitching I finally got them to buy me an
    air powered orbital sander. I've been using a 1/4 sheet sander for the last 4 years.
    It sucks that I'm just not given the time to sand everything by hand.
    I normally get 3 days to strip down a truck, repaint it & put it back together.
    So I have to power sand everything. Hell I spend more time on my bashes.

17. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Where do you work?

18. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    I work for a Landscaping & Snow removal company.
    I do most of the body work in the winter months & a little bit in the summer (when needed).
    By training me & my brother they keep everything in shop.
    I'd kill to be able to work in a setup like Wikkid has.

19. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just picked up a Badger Anthem for half off at Micheal's (black friday coupon).

20. Nemesis Predaking

News Credits:
    Hey guys & gal.
    Could somebody tell me what the best way to "cut" down Airbrush paints.
    Acetone & Thinner ??? & what concistancy am I looking for ?