Questions asked when single? *not a spam thread*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alphie, Oct 24, 2007.

1. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Fair warning, this is not a spam thread. I am using this for a project in my church's video team. :D 

We are doing a video about what people have been told as a single person. What have your friends, family, etc say to you at one time? Example: "Why aren't you married?", "Do you even like to date?" Etc. Kind of questions like that.

Basically what we are going to do, is use the comments and do a voice over, kind of like somebody is thinking them. :) 

Let the comments roll. :) 

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Everyone I know doesn't look act like its a big deal to be single...because its not. I think in this day and age, society has moved beyond the perception that if your over 25 and not married, then something is wrong with your life.

My question is why is your church even making a video about this in the first place? I think there are more pressing issues than being single to worry about in any community.

3. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    It's basically a very short intro video to lead to the main service. To grab the audience attention. Probably going to be about a minute to a minute and a half long.

If anybody wants to see the videos we have done before, click here:

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=mylakeland

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    There are a variety of swingers-style and bar pick-up questions that come to mind and, out of respect for Alphie, will summarily be left unsaid.

The biggest one I remember was my Mom always saying, "So, have you tried asking anyone out recently?" YES AAARGH

5. $5HotRod

$5HotRod Trailbreaker Fan

Ebay:
    The question I always find myself asking is "why is it so goddamnably hard to meet new people?" Not even looking for a significant other but just to find friends to hang with. I've been the new guy to more areas than I care to count and it seems to be a trend that people tend to stick together in tight, little groups and hardly let anyone new in. Being that new guy, it tends to suck.

6. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My parents and family members, thankfully, have never seen fit to bother me about that kinda stuff.

Friends and siblings ask, but they do so in a way that would be totally inappropriate for a church video. Basically, they're never really concerned if I'm dating, but rather...well, you get the idea.

7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

:lolol  Yeah, this is the real question that I get...whether or not I'm getting any jollys.

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

Well, my parents gave me a birthday card this year that said something about how many diapers they changed when I was a baby. On the inside it said something about when am I going to get one of my own to do that for. I would like to, but I have a hard time finding any time to search for dates.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I totally agree. Ive found that meeting new people in general is a royal pain. Even if you get along with somebody quite well, they never bother to bring you into any sort of group, or introduce you to their other friends. Ive got friends that seem to want to keep me separate from any other group that they might have. I don't know if this problem is mine, or if I just know some really crappy people.

Also, from my personal experience is that girls are often quite easy to talk to, but anyone that I really enjoy conversing with is not single. However there are a lot of times when they also do not bother to keep a conversation going, and will look for any excuse to get out of the conversation. I just don't bother with those.

Females in general also seem to be really difficult to get any results from rather than just somebody to talk to at a designated time/location. They never want to go out to lunch or get a quick dinner or anything friendly like that. And being in college, I get the "Ive got a test to study for right now" excuse now. Once again, they never bother to bring you into any other social part of their lives so that you may possibly meet new people/girls. I feel very much like the system just wont let me in. :( 

Anyway, on topic with the thread. I never get asked questions about being single from people my own age or around my own age. But I may get the occasional odd look or just a "why are you single?" or "What are you looking for?" from people of older generations that seem to like to shove their nose into the failed social life of a bitter young person.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I feel some of y'all on the difficulty in meeting new people--friends OR females, but it's honestly just a question of putting yourself out there.

I move a lot. Like every few years at a maximum. This year, I'm moving every five weeks. So to avoid just sitting on my ass, I talk to everyone. And I mean everyone. I joke, I converse, I chat. Whatever.

A good 'in' when you meet someone that you think you'd enjoy hanging out with--again, friend OR female--is to tell them you're not from around the area/familiar with what's exciting/whatever, and then ask them what's fun to do. If they're cool, they'll often invite you along. Then just meet everyone when you go out.

Making friends is just as hard as dating sometimes, and you succeed the same way. By putting yourself out there and using the shotgun approach.

11. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Sometimes I get asked why I'm not married yet (esp. since I've been with my girlfriend for seven years). And don't tell my girlfriend (not that anybody here knows her) but my grandmother even offered me the diamond from her engagement ring a couple of years ago.

...but the simple fact is that I don't really believe in the "institution of marriage" for a myriad of reasons that I won't get into. And I no longer have any intention of procreating - partially because I'd be a terrible father, partially because the world is overcrowded enough as it is, and partially because I think my bad genes should be end with me. (My brother doesn't intend to procreate, either.)

And besides, marriage isn't that big of a deal in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. We're just supposed to find wenches (or other pirates) and then go about pillaging and all that.

I guess that I'm not someone who you needed info from since I'm not "single," but there it is anyway. Good luck with the video.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I always heard-"youre such as nice guy, you deserve a girlfriend", "Im not good enough for you" "youre like a brother, I couldnt go out with you"

:banghead: 

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    What was I asked? "What happened?" Well, she's the one who asked for a divorce. All I did was ask her to stop drinking.

I'm not single anymore btw. I saw an intriguing, stunning, healthy gal and persued her.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2007
  14. theLostSeeker

theLostSeeker Well-Known Member

It's been a few months since I left my ex. (we were engaged…)
    I dated a few girls since then, but nothing really conclusive as they all had crazy issues and behaviors. And I totally agree with 5$HotRod about meeting new people.
    When people ask me if I'm seeing someone, I always answer them "nothing serious". Some judgmental people in my entourage sometimes get too nosy and start asking "why aren't you with married with someone yet? You're handsome, smart, etc…" To which I retort: "Well excuse me if I have some standards. I sure as hell don't wanna end up like you and marrying the first porker that was interested in you." That usually shuts them up. hehe…
    Since when is being single a bad thing? Or "unmarried", rather?

15. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I hear you, I was in a relationship with this chick that was just destroying herself and she called it off because she tired of me pushing her to better herself. And, just like you, I found a lovely, caring wife. :p 

16. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Get asked by distant relatives if I like kids.

To which I answer, "Yes, I do. Fried or baked, thanks."

Family and friends know my thoughts of relationships. So when relatives or outsiders ask when I'm getting married, I respond more with amusement than annoyance, if anything.

I enjoy my single freedom too much, thanks.

17. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Its funny, cause I was such a man whore for so long.. I usually get asked if ive dumped my girlfriend, or if I've slept with 10 girls since i started dating my girlfriend its actually kind of annoying.

It seems like other people are so depressed themselves that they need to make themselves feel better by trying to see if others are in a more fucked situation then they are in.

18. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I'm with Squirrelcar on this one. I may not have moved around as much but have done my fair share over the past few years. I usually get used to a place and then BAM! Time to move again. Over the last two years in NY I dated some girls but nothing to write home about. To be honest, I don't get alot of time to meet girls, aside from ones that worked with me. I always made it a point to go out with friends..especially ones that know alot of people so I could make some connections.

In our Indian culture, soon as we hit our mid 20's we get hounded by people on when we're getting married. I gotta say though, its alot worse for the women as alot of Indians think that their "shelf life" is much shorter than us dudes. Alot of my friends have met their spouses by being set up by their parents. I wouldn't mind doing this myself. I figure my mom is more superficial than I am, and will line me up a bunch of hotties to uh..interview.

19. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well Fresh, mom doesn't want uggos for grandbabies! :lol 

American Indian culture is pretty similar. A teenage single mom like my sister is not frowned down upon even though my mom is basically the one stuck raising my nephew. But a childless, married 30-year-old like I was last year, choosing not to procreate, is somehow met with disapproval.

Then again, I have five aunts and they're all nuts for babies.

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Story of my life, and given the area I live in well, this town is so full of druggies and welfare moms, there's not a lot of normal, down to earth people with no agenda it seems.