Questions about Transmetals?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ComicGuy89, Mar 12, 2010.

1. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) What are the differences between Takara's Beast Wars Metals and Hasbro's Beast Wars Transmetals?

2) Does Japanese TM Megatron have GPS?

3) How durable is the chrome of these Transformers in general? (for both Takara and Hasbro versions)

Thanks!

2. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    1) There are some paint variations(some minor, some major) between Takara & Hasbro. Hasbro's also have the characters' name painted on, while Takara replaces that with "Cybertron" or "Destron"

2) As I understand it, no. Metals Megatron doesn't have the breakage problems of TM Megatron

3) Most of my Transmetals and Metals and Transmetal 2s have fine chrome now. However there are several with minor chrome wear and some with major chrome wear. I think the original TM Rattrap is a bit notorious for flaking chrome, and he's my worst one. However my Wal-mart TM Rattrap(Packrat), FK TM Rattrap, Metals Rattrap(Rattle), 10th Anniversary TM Rattrap, and Metals White Puzzle Rattrap(Labrat), all have great, intact chrome.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Transmetal Rattrap is one that has given me some trouble, on the tip of his weapon.

The chrome is weird, it's fine for most of them, but then you get one or two who have terrible flaking issues. It's usually a different one or two depending on who you ask as well. It's Ramulus and Scourge from the Transmetal II series on my side.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    EDIT: Or, whatever, didn't see Edgewise.

5. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Can't speak for Takara.

For Hasbro, they basically put a very thin coat of paint over a chrome surface underneath. I found Rhinox to be the least durable, minor handling resulted in significant wear to the paint. Bought another several months later. Same problem.

In theory the paint is replaceable with an aerosol can, or airbrush, but a paintbrush may result in too thick a coat. A thin covering of some sort of clearcoat would probably solve any potential problems.

6. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    Thanks for all your replies. I'm thinking of picking up a Transmetal, but the potentially flaking chrome frightens me. I'll still have to consider, then.

7. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I still find this one depressing.

[​IMG]

I wonder how it would look if I opened it and basically brushed off *all* of the red.

8. DarthMagnificus

DarthMagnificus Banned

WOW! never seen one do that in a MOSC setup...always figured it was contamination from human contact (dirt,oils,etc) that caused it to flake...that plain just sucks...

9. ComicGuy89

News Credits:
    What is the plastic color under that chrome? Just curious, am contemplating painting a potentially bad one.

10. Mirage232

Mirage232 Well-Known Member

Whoa, first time I've seen a sealed Beast Wars Transmetal flaking right in the package!

11. trex5000

trex5000 Autobot

Ebay:
    wow, thats brutal...poor rattrap