Customs: Questions about touching up paint on die cast parts

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by DELTAsnake, Dec 2, 2008.

1. DELTAsnake

DELTAsnake Decepticon

News Credits:
    I have a MP 04 Convoy that has some chips of paint come off and a really big scratch from when Cybertron Metroplex fell on him. :mad  I also have some G1's that could use some paint chips fixed up.

First, what type of paint should I use to patch them up? I'm guessing theres some hobby paint or something like that I should use.

Second, would I just get a fine brush and paint where the damage is or is there a special technique to use?

2. returnofplex

returnofplex Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    If it's a big chip, you may actually need to sand the edges of the chip before touching up. Either that or you'll need to build several coats of paint up in the effected area.

3. SmokescreenSWE

SmokescreenSWE Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reposting what I just wrote in the Dreadwind thread as the same applies here, it just might be harder to find the exact same hue:

I don't own that one, but I recently sprayed up my own Jetfire. The canopy is sprayed white on transparent blue. The best way for a spotless result would be to very gently sand the area, removing the tiny rough edges around the spot. Then mask off everything that isn't white (the window and the green) and spray a touch of white centered on the spot, just covering it. That would, as long as Dreadwind is actually bright white and not some off-white variant, give you a perfect result, possibly with some coating afterwards. If you mask off too close to the spot, you end up with sharp edges to the paint (I learned that fixing a spot on my Movie Smokescreen).

I wouldn't recommend doing brushes on this one. You need multiple layers to cover an actual dent with white and it's bound to pile up creating an even bigger mess.

Oh, and of course, the canopy snaps off so you wouldn't have to mask the entire figure. Just remember to mask the insides of it just as well as the outside, or you might get a light mist on the inside of the window.