Questions about the toy commercials on the TFTM DVD: Disc 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Triformis, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Okay so right now, I am watching the toy commercials on Disc 2 of the new TFTM DVD set and I am a bit confused about something. Well, 2 things, actually. One, why are all the kids' faces blurred out? Is it due to odd legal reasons?

I figured that since the commercials were previously in the public domain and the kids are now grown, that it wouldn't matter one way or the other if their faces were captured on a DVD forever. Other than embarrassment, who cares! On a side-note, I wonder where those kids are now?

As for my 2nd query, are those parts of the Japanese commercials with the clearly white, most-likely-American kids taken straight from the American commercials? Or have the whole commercials simply been re-dubbed? Most of the commercials feel "Japanese" to me, but they could just be re-dubs...

If parts have indeed simply been hijacked, why do you think they did that? Why not film Japanese children playing with them? Makes no sense to me...I kinda wonder what Japanese kids thought when they saw those commercials....

Nevertheless, fun to watch!

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Yup, legal reasons

Blurring of the face saves Son BMG from having to track down these guys and paying 'em for the use of their likeness

Can you imagine how difficult it'd be to find those kids now that they're grown? :lol 

I mean they're nameless and on screen for a few seconds

3. Triformis

That's what I figured, but, then again, if one is in a commercial, I would surmise that a contract is signed that limits one from getting royalties and all that since it's gonna be shown in the public domain repeatedly and somewhat randomly. Guess not...

4. Defensor

Defensor Well-Known Member

I agree with you that it wouldn't be a big deal, but you have to understand that this country has become "sue-happy" and seems to be ruled by lawyers, so Hasbro and co. apparently don't want to take any chances. I know at least when it come to the He-man toy commericals that at least two of the child actors that did them (Kirk Cameron from Growing Pains and Barrett Oliver from the Neverending Story) became famous and would not be hard to track down, however I don't think any of the actors in the TF toy commercials became famous and just ended up disappearing hence hard to find.
    I wish that they would at least try to find them because I don't like the idea that we will NEVER see unedited toy commercials on DVD.

As for your comment about the Japansese toy commercials, yes they reused and redubbed some of the US toy commercials when Japan started selling TFs.

5. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Where are they now..The Transformers edition..

6. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    In 1984/85 the DVD wasn't even a concept yet. The contracts signed for those kids probably release there image to be used on tv and maybe screen and vhs just to get the most coverage for the commercial. There is no way that DVD's were mentioned on the contracts so in the end they are not allowed to use the actors on DVD. The only way to do so would be to hunt down the kids to sign a new contract. Not worth the time money or effort.

Its not a matter of being "sue crazy" its a contract and if the contract is broken and thier image is used on the DVD they have every right to get paid because they haven't been paid for DVD release yet.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

7. Defensor

Defensor Well-Known Member

Regardless, like I said before I don't like the idea that we will NEVER see unedited toy commercials on DVD.

There has to be another option other than either having their faces blurred FOREVER, or hunting them down, or waiting untill they all die.

8. Triformis

lol I have a feeling I'll be dead by then too....