Questions about the systems.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Maximum Burn, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Maximum Burn

Maximum Burn JETS AND HELI!! I LIKEY!

I was looking around and judge. I am saved up for a system with my brother. I don't know which one to get but...xbox seems to be winning.

I was at Best Buy and saw the new Elite box. It said xbox live was free. True? I thought you had to pay.

Also, I know that the HDMI cable wasn't included but is it really a big lost? If I buy it, will the cable cost me more to get alone or should I gun for the old elite system?

Also, did the old elite xbox system come with a 160 gig or a 120 gig harđrive?

I was going to get a PS3 but I am not sure now. Not meant to start anything like a fight. I am looking for a system that suits me though.

2. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

Xbox Live silver is free. It allows for for friends, messaging and the Live Marketplace but is missing some chat features, online play and access to some demos. Some Demos are Gold exclusive while others are for a limited time.

The 360 specific HDMI cables are $50, you can just use any off the shelf HDMI cable though. If you plan on using Optical Audio then you'll need the official HDMI set as it has a dongle. You might be able to use the optical out on the component cables along side an HDMI cable. Not sure if the composite that comes with all the systems has optical out or not.

Elites have always come with a 120gb HD. Xbox 360 HDs are only available in 20, 60 and 120 gig sizes.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    get HDMI cables off amazon marketplace. mine were 39 cents.

a 250GB 360 model is apparently on the way. same for the PS3 slim.

PS3 hard drives can be upgraded with 2.5 inch sata hard drives, so really, the PS3 hard drive size doesnt matter when you can get a 500GB drive off newegg.com for around 100 (or less).

360 hard drives are proprietary though.

4. Maximum Burn

Thanks.

PS3 silms not that much of an upgrade to a regular PS3 right? It's just cheaper by $100 and has some new features.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    its not an upgrade, its a remodel. its the same price as the old 80GB system. so its a bigger hard drive, but that's really it.

6. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I like the PS3 a LOT better than my 360. The big difference is the fact that PS3 has awesome online capabilities and it is free. Also, PSN Network is much better than Microsoft Marketplace.

So, get a PS3. You won't be disappointed.

7. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Which is different....how? It's just like the 360. The only difference is Home.

Example: The Transformers DLC.

360: Came out on time with basically no problems.

PS3: Came out a day late and some members here kept reporting missing characters and glitches.

8. BlackbirdSR-71C

BlackbirdSR-71C Loyal Decepticon

Really?I haven't heard of that much problems yet.Do the characters miss in online or just the campaign?Haven't heard of any glitches though so far,what's the deal with them?Hope they bring out a patch soon.

9. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    i read a few people in the DLC thread DLed it and some of the characters didn't show up, or the DLC didn't work, or characters didn't talk, etc.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    cant hold broken DLC against the PS3. the 360's DLC is routinely broken too, mostly with anything coming from bethesda. but that's the fault of lazy developers, not the console.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

List wars!

LIST WARS!

12. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    Actually, one of those was a corrupted upload which wasn't really anyone's fault.

Personally, I don't have anything against either system and both have good points. I just prefer the 360 because:

A) Most of my friends own one, making online play much easier and more fun

B) The 360 exclusive titles appeal to me more. I haven't really seen anything on the PS3 that I want to play, much less enough titles to warrant the purchase of a system.

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were no issues with Transformers. Someone is really reading into things without checking the rest of the thread. Someone was confused because G1 Megatron wasn't selectable and the reason was because G1 Megatron was only available in the last mission.

Sony being late to update Transformers DLC can be likened to when Live is down for maintenance and you don't get that demo you were waiting for, or you don't get to play Halo that evening. They were prepping for this update and we just happened to be in the wake of our DLC. There are demos that come out on PS3 that when I log onto my 360 are not available yet. As always, relativity can be an interesting thing. Remind me and next time it happens, I'll post a thread about it. You only notice it when you want to.

Judging by the number of people who have reported RROD recently, just on these boards, I'm sure a lot of people are simply not playing the Transformers DLC period.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  14. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Gamer = 360(my personal fave)

Multimedia= PS3(great for gaming too but i primarily use it for web and movies)

ADD/ADHD= Wii

15. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What I meant when I said the PS3 had better online capabiltities was that it is as good as the 360's and it's free.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    You actually believe that? even with it taking them what, 14 hours to get it back up? no, if it was corrupted, a simple delete and re-upload would have worked fine. that file was fucked up from the start.

17. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    as a guy that used to own a 360 and currently own a PS3. If i had to do it again... I would buy a PS3

(Keep in mind I brought a 360 within a few months of its release)

1. I had about.... 6 360's break on me. Yep... it was nice Microsoft kept sending me new old used 360's but they kept on breaking....
    2. Online Gold is 50 bucks. Playstation online free. I'm a big Madden/NCAA football gamer.... don't see a difference except I have an extra 50 bucks a year to buy games
    3. Blu Ray Player! It won the war and movies look amazing!
    4. Built in Wifi. Unless you buy an elite, you have to buy a 100 dollar microsoft wireless router. yeah.... PS3... its built in.
    4. Easily upgraded hard drives. Playstation on their web site gives you step by step upgrade instructions and works with sata drives. 500 gigs are cheap! With 360... can you even upgrades? your going to pay 100 bucks for a 120gig hard drive....
    5. Games... Gears of War is amazing! I miss it so much but Killzone is pretty good. not as awesome but good enough.

Personally, the switch was easy because I couldn't buy a 360 that worked longer than 3 months. My PS3 experience has been outstanding. Playing online for free is great!

Your Choice! I'm sure the 360 failure rates can't be as bad as they used to be.

18. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And this is exactly why I don't get Gold Live. I'm getting married next year and every penny counts. If I want Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 2, Dragon Age, and Batman, those 50 bucks will have to be rationed. I don't care enough about Gears, Halo, Random Zombie game to use those 50 bucks on Live. I just had a very Healthy game of Gunstar Heroes with chat, and some Wipeout and Fat Princess without a single drop or lag issue, and I have slow ass AT&T. At this point, those 50 bucks could be much better used on a game, and for a casual online gamer, I seriously don't notice the difference. If/when Sony brings game-to-game chat, I will definitely not notice the difference. Remember...Casual gamer. I dunno what the hard-cores notice, but for me, I'd rather have Uncharted 2 and play it online free than pay 50 bucks to get demos that I'll get on PS3 free on Thursdays.

19. Maximum Burn

Wait, so you there's no gamer-to-gamer chat in PS3? Awesome. I used to play online playing first shooters and all I hear is screaming/someone's being a a dick by playing music up loud and putting the mike next to the speaker/etc.

The only thing is that this week, Target is offering a a free wireless controller when you buy a elite system, and Best Buy is offering any 360 game, $79.99 or less, you buy and get the next one half off. So there's savings there but so much to think about first.

The only thing is that I like to play first shooters but I absolutely suck at it for console but I am used to the 360 because I go to my lil cousins for b-day parties and stuff. Still bad at ti but I like it. But I am pretty sure i won't be combative or competent as I am on the PC but I'll have fun regardless.

I like RPGs but not into it much. Here and there is fine once in a while. I always think that PS3 is the one of the winners here.

I am extremely interested in tactics/strategy and hack-and-slash games though. I am interesting ZOE type games but not sure what type are those.

Only thing that I am not interested in puzzle types, DMC/Metal Gear Solid types, and flight simulators. I am absolutely horrible at those so...I tend to keep away. As always, I might be tempted in the action adventure and got suck in but I quickly get out due to my suckage.

The GTA games are another interest but I don't finish them.

Anyways, games can come second (I am mid-casual to serious player). If the failing console rates are what I am concerned with (can't play if I don't have a working system). I am sure Microsoft works hard but I rather not spend some much and end up with a bust system and have to pack and ship everytime.

20. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I find the playstation network to be buggy and slow, you get way you pay for. Personally I regret spending my money on a PS3 more and more each day :( 

The 360 was doing what I wanted perfectly there really wasn't any need to get something else to do pretty much the same thing.