questions about selling on e-bay

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by battleboy, Jun 12, 2011.

1. battleboy

battleboy Admiral of Awesomness

As my first auctions on e-bay draw to a close, I have a few questions.

what if my items don't hit my reserve? can I contact the high bidder and try to make the sale somewhere in the middle?

how much should i have posted for shipping? I referenced the usps flat rate shippers, but I think ups might be cheaper?

Does it cost anything to restart an auction after it's finished without a sale?

What is the expected mark-up for new figured? i know it varies, but I don't want to scalp, just make back what I spent plus a little to keep my hobby going.

i'm just starting out, trying to learn how it all works. Any tips from seasoned sellers are greatly appreciated.

2. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    1. no
    2. whatever you are going to charge to ship it..figure that out before you post an auction though.
    3. yes. if it sales the 2nd time they give you a listing credit for the auction listing fee.
    4. that you have to do your own homework and figure out what you want to price it at.

3. battleboy

thanks cindersaur. That helps a bit. I think my questions could be boiled down to what do you find works well, and what doesn't work when posting auctions. maybe a few examples...

4. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    not to sound vague but determining cost is like licking your finger and sticking it into the wind to see where it is going...too vague.

i usually go into ebay...search in completed auctions and ongoing listings for a price range and try to get somewhere in the middle to top third of the range...you don't want to be the cheapest or the most expensive....

shipping i have found if i list $7.50 for small to mid size robots...that works and covers $$$ shipping plus leaves you a few dollars to cover gas and packing materials...anything voyager or larger i usually list $10 for shipping.

or auctions where i am selling lots of two or more deluxe or larger size i will list $10.

the junkion exchange here also can sometimes give you a price of what folks expect the transformers to be worth..but the search feature in this site does not really work well in trying to search thread descriptions...so unless you want to go thread to thread to read...kinda takes up alot of time that might not generate any helpful results...plus lots of folks here list way higher or way lower than what the going rate on ebay might be...still something to keep in mind.

5. battleboy

wow! thanks! that's exactly the info I was looking for. I didn't even know you could search completed auctions. good stuff