Questions about MECH

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Resolution, May 31, 2012.

1. Resolution

Resolution Well-Known Member

While the show is on break, I have some questions about MECH.

Why does the show write off everything as a clean scrub by MECH? There have been instances where they could not have had time to scrub everything (clues) unless they blew up the location. Not in any particular order:

1. In Convoy when Fowler throws the goon off Optimus, he should have died or been too injured to move. The body would have been recovered and possibly identified.

2. When Bumblebee gets his T-cog back, some of the Mech goons should have been killed or severely injured and left behind. MECH has equipment there, including the robot they are trying to activate. They leave first, and Silas tells Starscream to handle it. Starscream leaves before Bumblebee, so everything should have still been inside when the Autobots arrive.

3. When June is kidnapped Arcee strikes some of the MECH goons, but when Silas signals the end of mission no one is left for Fowler to capture or identify.

4. Since Fowler was in the room with Silas when Nemesis Prime fell on him, how did they get the body away? All the equipment is still in the room, so why is it that the only thing they know about MECH is Silas identity?

5. In one of the episodes Silas seems to be dictating a status report. Who is it for?

6. Where does MECH get the funds to operate?

I don't like the MECH storyline, which probably means it will be around forever.
    Any logical explanations? Additional MECH plot holes?

2. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Since they specifically mention the clean scrub and lack of remaining evidence (instead of just ignoring the issue of looking for any) it is necessarily implied that MECH has an expert cleanup crew that operates offscreen. We deliberately aren't shown their getaway or cleanup techniques, the same as we usually don't get to see traditional ninjas vanish or Batman leave commissioner Gordon's office. It communicates the bewilderment of the other characters and heightens the sense of mystery (not to mention making life easier on the writers and animators).

There's also an episode in season 2 where Fowler learns Silas is a former (or possibly current) U.S. black ops agent, and speculates that the rest of MECH shares a similar background.

That should be sufficient to answer 1-4.

5. I got the impression it was a "note to self" but if not, we will probably find out later.

6. Not currently known, but there are a few likely possibilities. They steal a lot of their equipment, which obviously reduces operating costs greatly. Depending on their faith in Silas' ideals, their manpower may consist of volunteers. Otherwise, they probably sell arms on the black market.

3. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MECH is awesome and I pity you for not liking them. :p 

4. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Personally I'd take Cobra over MECH anyday.

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Fowler implied that MECH was made up of folks in the military. These soldiers hid their faces, being found out would not bode well for them or the higher ups who ordered them to do what they're doing.

Surely, someone higher up the chain of command is doing whatever he/she can to keep themselves out of the spotlight. removing all traces of their involvement is the best way to do that. If it means taking your gear, files, and folks with you when things go south then that's what you do.

6. Dargor

Dargor Well-Known Member

7. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I lol'd hard.

MECH would be a-okay if this show was not so hellbent on being serious and trying to explain everything to make it all plausible when it's nearly impossible to do so.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Pity me too then. :p 

I despise MECH.

9. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pity me too.

10. Resolution

My questions are not about why or how they scrub. No matter how expert they are, there are situations where they simply don't have enough time. The two most obvious (IMO) MECH left before Bumblebee and they didn't have anything but their laser guns when they took Starscream's T-cog. Bumblebee was still inside when the Autobots showed up, so the robot and technology should have still been there. Fowler was present in Nemesis, so even if MECH escaped, they could not have removed the computer technology. They were not able to take the fake Optimus but were able to get Silas from beneath it :confused: 

Silas is no longer in the military. In the Grill episode Fowler said he believes some of the MECH goons are currently serving in the military and he would look into it. There should be dead or severly injured MECH bodies from several episodes: Operation Breakdown when they destroy a flying MECH helicopter, and Bumblebee and Arcee have struck MECH goons or hit them with objects. If the MECH goons are still in the military, there should we AWOL soldiers who have either died or are recuperating. Fowler would be able to investigate these names.

I don't want to argue. Just pointing out things that don't make sense to me.

11. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    PITY CANON ACTIVATE!!! HHHIIII-YAAAAAHHH!!!

You have now been pitied... ;) 

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Well better competant villains than the stupid villians in TFA, but yeah I find MECH dull but they bring a unique 3rd party feel to the conflict.

13. longhaulsub

longhaulsub PS3 Tag: Northporttroller

[​IMG]
    image upload

14. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And it is in those situations that the members of MECH who are currently enlisted soldiers stymie the investigation by getting any unconscious members to safety, destroying evidence, not cataloguing any tech left behind, fiddling the paperwork afterward so that the records disappear, etc.

15. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MECH is gr8 ya'll just mad that your dad doesn't work for them

Mine does.

In my headcanon.

16. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Probably because the 7-10 year olds that the show is being created for tend to not ask such details so the show creators don't factor it in as much? I dunno, just a wild guess. My kids love watching Prime. They've yet to ask me about the mysteries of MECH :eek: 

17. Resolution

You are right. Younger children probably just see good versus bad. I think the target audience also includes people over 10, because some of the dialogue and jokes would not be understood by the younger audience.

I guess this bugs me because I don't like MECH. I like the idea of the Autobots facing human adversaries and Megatron having competition for world domination. MECH just doesn't click for me.

18. Cataraks

Cataraks Decepticon Cannibal

1. Mech apparently has a masterful cleanup crew, which is one of the reasons Fowler theorizes that they are black ops rejects, or possibly currently still in black ops.

2. See above

3. See above

4. See above

5. His commanding officer. The higher ups (or "The Brass") want to make sure Fowler's still on their side and haven't gone native.

6. They "aquire" advanced weaponry and sell it on the black market.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So it's just personal incredulity, then. Given the flexible nature of time in movies and television, it is literally impossible to say what characters have time to do apart from what the writers tell us they had time to do. If they did it, then obviously they had time. It's supposed to stretch credulity a little bit, but the impression we're supposed to come away with is that they're just that damn good.

20. devilinc666

devilinc666 Epic Wrecker

How much of an incredible plot twist would it be, if MECH were found to be operated by Fowler himself?! Think about it - the perfect plot twist!