Questions about HDTV

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Eric, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    Well, normally around this time, I'd be going on a family vacation this year, and at least a week away from the house would cost around $3000 (plane tickets, car rentals, hotels, the works). HOWEVER...it turns out that my dad just told me that instead of going on vacation this year (partly due to rising gas prices), he says he'll want to spend the money on getting me and my bro new flat-panel HDTVs. While already my mind says yes, I do have some questions.

1. I've been hearing about the whole input/output mumbo jumbo about turning from 480i to 480p, 720i to 720p, and 1080i to 1080p. What does that mean? It confuses me. I can assume that the i means it's meant for standard, and the p would mean it's for HD. Again, what does it mean? Forgive me if I'm somewhat out of the loop here.

2. I have an Xbox 360, a Wii, and a PS2. My 360 already has a component cable, I can buy a component cable for the Wii, but what about the PS2? Is there an HD cable I can get for that? Or am I out of luck?

3. Video game-related. So, let's say for example I get a 720p HDTV. Can I play the three systems that I have on it, despite the fact that the Wii can only do 480p in HD? Or am I out of luck again?

So can anyone help me? I kinda need to have this stuff known by Thursday, because I think that may be the day my dad goes and gets the HDTVs. Thanks!

2. joshua

joshua Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    4 in 1 Component Cable For Wii Xbox 360 PS3/PS2 - 5FT (Gold Plated)

4 in 1 Component Cable For Wii Xbox 360 PS3/PS2 - 5FT (Gold Plated) | Wii

this thing works wonders.

3. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The number refers to the lines of resolution. The letter determines whether it is interlaced or progressive. Interlaced means the screen draws every other line on the screen per pass, progressive means it draws the whole screen everytime. This happens so fast (dozens of times a second) that is is near indistinguishable to the naked eye. Don't get too hung up on it. 720 lines of resolution (i or p) and higher are considered HD. 480i/480p is what DVD players usually output natively. SD TV is a little lower than that...430 or something like that, I can't remember.

I don't think the PS2 outputs in HD. You can get a component cable for it, but it'll be strictly for sharpening the image, not for increasing the resolution. The Wii doesn't output in HD either...the best it can manage is in 480p if your TV supports it. 360 can do any of it. You might consider upgrading your 360 to HDMI though.

You can play all of them, assuming the tv has enough inputs. That shouldn't really be a problem though. Mine has somewhere in the neighborhood or 8 or 9 inputs, and it's not exactly the top of the line model. Virtually any HDTV you buy will support SD signals, 480i/p, 720i/p, and 1080i. 1080p is hit and miss, although it's becoming more common. Very, very few games are programmed to support 1080p though, because the difference is negligible between 1080p and 1080i (and even, honestly, 720p) unless you have a gigantic (55" plus) TV, and it is more processor intensive for the game to support it. Most games are in 720p HD.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2008
  4. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ok, let me try and help you out here.

Following most numbers you will see an i or a p. The i stands for interlaced. It means the signal is adding pixels in order to mimic a larger picture. On larger TV's, an interlaced signal can look fuzzy. The p stands for progressive. It means that the picture has no additional pixels added and is clearer and cleaner.

Standard Definition
    480i - Standard TV resolution. Usually looks iffy to bad on most HDTV's.

Enhanced Defenition
    480p - Resolution of DVD's.
    540p - Pal resolution.

High Definition
    720p - Most HD signals are broadcast in this or 1080i.
    1080i - A 720p signal that is interlaced to mimic a 1080 resolution.
    1080p - AKA True HD. The highest resolution available for HDTV's

You can buy component cables for the Wii and the PS2. You will need the component cables for an HDTV, as the standard composite cables will usually display an extremely poor picture making the game unplayable. But be aware, most PS2 games will only output at 480i, and will not look as good as they do on a standard TV. Most, if not all Wii games output at 480p and will look good on an HDTV.

At TV that displays a highest output of 720P can still display games, movies and TV at lower resolutions. The resolution will switch automatically based on the source. So if you are playing a Wii game that only displays 480p, your TV will automatically switch to that when you turn the system on.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Holy criznap!
    You guys know your stuff.

There is one other resolution standard that was not mentioned, and it is probably because the industry hasn't decided what to call it.

We call it 1080p X2.
    It's the dual 1080p displays that power the emerging 3D TVs.
    If you are watching a show without 3D then you are seeing 1080p -if you activate the
    3D then you are seeing 1080p twice.
    I have been exposed to the technology as it emerges (soon to be my career) and it is exciting stuff. Super exciting!
    There are people who don't perceive HD, but no one can look at 3D and go "What's the difference?"

Eric,
    I hope this helps.
    I recently bought an Isignia 32" Plasma for $596 (tax included) from Best Buy.
    It's 720p, has 3 HDMI inputs, 2 Component Inputs, 1 PC Input and several analog.

I could not be happier with the TV.
    The image quality is perfect and the colors are incredibly bright.
    The only time you ever realize you are watching a plasma is if you have a static image immediately followed by a black screen you get a ghost of the previous image until it is replaced.

For example -on the stats screen for Ninja Gaiden 2 -when the screen goes black you can see the ghost image of your score for a few seconds.
    But moving images that have a lot of black are not effected.
    Star Wars, Blade, even Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (GAWD -I am teh NERD!) all look great.

Some may say that 1080p is "True HD" or even put on the box FHDTV "Full High Definition Television", but I think that 720p is perfect for a 32" TV.
    If it were any larger I would go with 1080p.

6. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Very true most say under 50 " or so inchs you cant tell 720p from 1080p I can kinda of see it at around 46 or so but I have been researching for a couple months now so I have looking at tons of screens.

Best advice I can give is if your looking at something in the 32 or lower to 42 inch range don't get caught up in 720/1080 talk look at the true contrast ratio and get your tv calibrate it makes a ton of difference.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

one more thing: I highly recommend researching the model you want, and then buying it from Amazon.com, if your dad is willing to do that. They have free shipping on HDTVs, they're brand new, and are literally hundreds of dollars cheaper than the exact same model at Best Buy or other retail stores. My 46" Samsung was $2200 at Best Buy when I bought it, and I got it for less than $1600 from Amazon.

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With LCDs, you get what you pay for. Go with a Samsung and you will never be disappointed.