Questions about Generation One Scene

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DinoFreakUSA, Jul 20, 2011.

1. DinoFreakUSA

DinoFreakUSA Well-Known Member

In the first episode after the Ark crashed and Sky Spy was sent to find new forms for the Transformers it gives the Decepticons their forms first. In later episodes it clearly recognizes Autobot from Decepticon so why didn't recognize that it was repairing the enemy? Another question, why didn't the Decepticons just kill the Autobots while hey were in stasis or just destroy the machine so they wouldn't be repaired? Another question. The Autobots are clearly seen flying to the oil platform so why couldn't they fly when it was destroyed? Are these errors or am I missing something obvious as I always seem to do?

2. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    G1 is full of plot holes, dude. You just have to enjoy it for what it is

3. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah. When you apply adult logic to a 25-year old extended toy commercial, you will drive youself nuts. BTW, I love the g1 cartoon, but I mean, it is what it is

4. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Just don't think about it. Logic and G1 is like oil and water.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    At least its DOTM. It's one big headache.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe the ark was programmed with something akin to the hippocratic oath

7. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

1) I always figured the Autobots fixed Tele Tran once they were revived, so it would be able to tell everyone apart later on.

2) Maybe Megatron didn't think it would be worth the energy. Also, maybe he thought he and his Decepticons might need spare parts at some point, so he let the Bots rest in peace.

3) Yeah, this is a pretty big plot hole. Especially when it's outright stated numerous times later in the series that, with a few exceptions, Autobots can't fly.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This question has been posted 100's of times in this forum, and yep, the best answer you will receive is there is no logical answer. Just ignore and enjoy the series. :D 

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always thought Teletraan was a little damaged at the time, like the rest of the Transformers. Teletraan was speaking one-liners. "Explore! Explore!" "Repair! Repair!" Wheeljack and Rachet mostly likely fully repaired Teletraan later.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But they do! Wheeljack and Trailbreaker fly to fight the fire. Prime can't fly because he's trying to save some humans, and Huffer can't because he's got his arm jammed.

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This.

I can't believe people are confused at this, but that's the cartoon for you.

The comic version (superior, of course) makes it clear that the computer was damaged in the crash.

12. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The flight can also be explained by then fact that More than Meets the Eye was made before the rest of the series, and before certain elements were fully decided upon.

13. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

Nope. It makes no sense. But then again very little of G1 does

. It was the 80's people, we though shoulder pads and two-sided hamburgers were excellent ideas, we drove Renault K-Cars, we had president Reagan, everyone had a bowl cut or a bro-stache, Coke's formula was changed, Micheal Jackson was a role model for children, Jacko the Australian had his won TV show, Ralph Macchio was a karate master AND a blues guitarist, VCR's didn't exist, the Commies were coming, and the best video games were ATARI. It was primitive times.

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

the system seemed to be damaged

"repair repair" was pretty much all it said and we know in later episodes it had a better vocabulary.

stupidtly

the flying/not flying thing with the Autobots was a plot devise.

The writers used it or ignored it when ever they wanted to.

15. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    The original three "More Than Meets The Eye" episodes were basically an extended pilot (aka demo version) made before the series officially got the greenlight for more episodes. That's why at the end of "MTMTE", everything is wrapped up nicely and you hear Spike's voiceover talking about how the world's governments all came to together to help send the Autobots back home... yet by episode 4, there's no mention at all of why the Autobots never left. So basically with those first three episodes, they hadn't decided yet that Autobots couldn't fly, that Teletran-1 could decipher Autobots from Decepticons, or any number of things that developed & contradicted themselves throughout later episodes. Or to be more blunt: it was just some bad writing.

As for why the Cons didn't just blow away the Autobots when they got reactivated, it's typical story arc convenience. If they awoke and just blew away all the Autobots, the entire series would have been over in 7 minutes. Pretty much like any TV show or movie where there's a ton of "why didn't they just...!?" scenarios.

16. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Technically, it only repairs Skywarp first. Skywarp makes sure Megatron gets fixed next, and the two of them ensure that only Decepticons get repaired afterwards.

As others have said, the computer was probably damaged by the crash. Additionally, it's possible that the Autobots programmed the computer to repair anyone deliberately, under the assumption that no Decepticons would ever be in a position to get repaired.

Either way, it seems clear that the Autobots recognized that having Teletraan 1 repair Decepticons was a Bad Thing, and took steps to ensure it never happened again.

I believe that was the plan. The Decepticons were low on energy, and thus went off in search of somewhere to refuel. The Autobots clearly weren't going anywhere, so they could take their time refueling and building a base of operations. Once they have a decent strike team ready to go, head back and wreck the Autobots for good. Unfortunately, the Autobots were repaired before they could head back.

I just rewatched this bit, and it looks like dramatic license more than anything. When Meagtron blasts the oil rig, part of it collapses and a few Autobots slide into the ocean instead of flying away. You could argue they were taken by surprise, but it really doesn't make any sense for them to not just fly away. On the other hand, it puts them in the same predicament as the humans, and encourages them to work together.

17. CVprowl

CVprowl FREEDOM FIGHTER

hahaha! me too.

18. wrecker11

wrecker11 Wrecker

The decepticons thought the autobots were dead.

19. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    well, as stated the ship was damaged. it prolly didnt have security until they rebuilt it into a base. also the first 3 episodes where a movie pilot of sorts.

aaaand in later episodes ... wheeljack flew with the dinobots. so i guess it depended on the writer. and i dont think plots were very important to childrens show back in the 80s ... or even now really :cough: spongebob :cough: so long as it was entertaining and captivating, thats all that mattered.

oh and sold the toys!

20. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    This could definitely be an answer too. I ean in that initial scene before Skywarp gets rebuilt, there were Autobot pieces scattered all over the place.

Granted, the D-Cos definitely should have smashed Teletraan before they left (Starscream had enough power to shoot at the Ark once they left), but of course at the heart of it all is that it's just a cartoon meant to sell toys ;)