Questions about Generation 2

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by fiire_dragon_88, Mar 16, 2006.

1. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

Could someone please tell me what generation 2 is? I heard there was a movie called "the rebirth" from generation 2. I just can't seem to find any information on it. Please could everybody tell me what they know.

2. fourth_heir

fourth_heir Well-Known Member

Swiped from wikipedia 'cos I'm too lazy to type...

Note: A line blending a re-release of Generation 1 toys and a collection of entirely new toys with emphasis on gimmicks.
    The first G2 toys were simple rehashes of older G1 figures such as Optimus Prime, Starscream, Ramjet, Jazz, Inferno and Sideswipe, redecoed and outfitted with new additional gimmicks like firing missile launchers and detatchable electronic sound packs. The first main change of the G2 line came with Megatron - no longer able to be a gun because of new toy laws, he was now a gigantic tank. As G2 went on, other gimmicks such as color-changing figures, light-up parts, pressure-launching missiles and auto-transformations appeared.

There was no new cartoon created for Generation 2, but a selection of episodes of the original G1 series were "enhanced" with computer-generated borders and scene transitions dubbed the "Cybernet Space Cube". Marvel Comics, on the other hand, produced a new 12-issue series to accompany the toyline that saw the Autobots and Decepticons going up against a second generation of Cybertronians, and facing the Swarm, the deadly by-product of their reproduction.

The G2 storyline was carried out in Japan in manga.

3. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Beaten by fourth heir.

4. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Generation 2 came about in the early 90s (I'm sure someone else will fill in exact years) and consisted largely of re-releases of G1 TFs in alternate colors. Some of the re-releases also featured extra lights and sounds added on. G2 didn't only consist of re-releases and repaints, though. During Generation 2, the G1 cartoon we re-aired with the addition of some 3D computer generated cut-scenes, though, the cartoon content appeared unchanged.

Rebirth is a three part miniseries that was aired at the very end of the G1 cartoon. Some people consider Rebirth to be Season 4 of the cartoon, and maybe it is, technically, but I've always just thought of it as a few bonus episodes. Rebirth revolves around the discovery of the Nebulons and how they interacted/combined with TFs to form headmasters. The series featured many new TFs, though, in my opinion, the story was weakly done.

There isn't any real connection between Generation 2 and Rebirth, though.

EDIT: If I'd been lazy like fourth heir, I'd have beaten him. I was busy typing while he was busy copying :banghead: 

5. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Lets not forget to answer his question about "rebirth".

It was not a G2 movie. It was the 3 part episode that started and ended season 4 of G1. It was aired, I believe, in 1987.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  7. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    I don't know if I'd say G2 was "largely" G1 repaints. Those accounted for less than half the line:

G1 reuses:
    Optimus Prime, 3 Autobot Cars, 3 Dinobots, 2 Decepticon Planes, 4 Mini Vehicles, 6 Constructicons, 5 Combaticons, 5 Aerialbots
    Total: 29 molds

New G2:
    4 Small Autobot Cars, 4 Small Decepticon Planes, Megatron, 4 Color Change Cars, 4 Rotor Force, 4 Laser Rods, 2 Autorollers, Dreadwing/Smokescreen, Laser Prime, 6 Spychanger molds, 3 Cyberjet molds, 2 Laser Cycle molds, 2 Heroes
    Total: 38 molds

Extra repaints:
    6 Dinobots, 6 Constructicons
    8 Spychangers, 3 Cyberjets

Cancelled G2 items: Protectobots, Stunticons(Breakdown released as a BC exclusive, ~200? total), 2 Autoroller repaints, Dreadwing/Smokescreen repaint, 2 (Combat)Hero repaints, 2 Laser Cycle repaints, Spychanger with Semi-truck/ramp-launcher, 2 New Autoroller molds(later released in BW2), 6 New Spychanger molds(4 later released in RID)

This is just the US items, in Europe and/or Canada there were also Sparkabots/Firecons, G2 Powermasters, 4 more Color Change Cars, Obliterators, etc...

8. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

The hell? :huh

9. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

It's just the 3-part Rebirth series released on DVD with the G2 logo instead of G1. I don't believe it had the extra "Cybernetic Cube" graphics.

10. fiire_dragon_88

fiire_dragon_88 Andimus Prime Time

That is half the reason why I asked, i saw that on ebay and was confused because that was the names of the final american g1 episodes

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got this, and it's a Canadian release, FWIW. And yeah, it has nothing to do with G2...

The reason I've held onto it, in spite of having all the G1 DVDs, is because it's fun to see all three eps of Rebirth uninterrupted... kinda like another TF movie.

12. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

CORRECTION, it is VHS; I too own this Canadian product, in fact it was the first time I'd ever seen Rebirth or for that matter Megatron's Master Plan, Desertion of the Dinobots or Dinobot Island... All of which appear to be have been released in the G2 packaging on VHS at some time though I'm not sure when... All I remember is buying them on my trip to Edmonton around the end of 98 or 99.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    You do know that if you put in the last disc of the season 3 part 2 season 4 set and go to the special features, you can select to watch the rebirth edited with no interruptions so it's like a movie don't you?

14. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry... I couldn't remember if it was VHS or DVD so I just went with DVD, heheh.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Flippin' sweet, I didn't! Thanks for the tip, IG! :thumbs2: 

16. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

don't forget!

G2 gave us the greatest color sceme of all! *sarcasim*

light grey and pink starscream!

:lol 

all other repaints that people think suck, fail in camparison to this guy!

17. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

I actually like the G2 Starscream. I just acquired him into my small collection. The sound box still works and I thought it was a very nice addition to the toy. Had it been included with the G1 starscream, I suppose that would add a few more 'fun points' to the toy itself. I like the contrast of colors too.