Questions about G2 Smokescreen/Dreadwing

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I've never owned them or their subsequent repaints, but was wondering how good the toys are. How's the articulation? Which version of the molds are best? Also, how tall is G2 Smokescreen? Is he about the size of a deluxe? He reminds me a lot of Energon Starscream.

2. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    Smokescreen is a smidge smaller/shorter than a deluxe. E.Starscream's transformation/design is taken almost joint-for-joint from him. The articulation is pretty much modern standards, heads turn, knees bend, hips/arms/shoulders are ball joints or double joints giving ball joint range of motion.

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About the only thing missing from them, articulation-wise, is thigh swivels. And Dreadwing could have used some heel spurs, he's a little back-heavy.

But they're awesome toys through and through.

I prefer the original G2 deco. The stark contrast of the turquoise/teal to the dark black and blue is very striking, and the black head makes Dreadwing a lot more visually imposing than any of his repaints.

Smokescreen is a great little figure, with exceptional balance, despite his bigass rifles.

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I have the Robot Masters versions (Gigant Bomb/Smokesniper), and they really are two of my favorite figures in my collection. Articulation, transformation and appearance are all top notch.

5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

I have the RiD repaints and like everyone else has said, these two figures are top notch. Excellent bots to have in a collection.

6. DoubleClouder

DoubleClouder Autobot/Decepticon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    I prefer the BWII version (BB and Starscream). He is black and yellow with chrome stripes on the wings. Looks bad ass. Actually I have a loose incomplete one for sale if interested
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Some would contend that around the time the Robot Master version was issued, the mold was starting to degrade a little, and the wings have trouble staying in place.

Still, in design terms the mold has aged quite well.

8. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    G2 & BW2 are nice colors, but I think I prefer the RID version most. It also has tweaks to the missiles and gatling launcher so that the missiles are locked in place. On the G2 & BW2 version they'll slide out when if the launcher is tipped downward.

9. mugen_prime

mugen_prime Well-Known Member

I have the Beast Wars II version as well. I love them! They're great molds. I would like to get all the versions of them. As others have said, they have pretty good articulation.

10. WingDagger

WingDagger Generations

I've got the RiD repaints. Love the pair, awesome mould! Would've prefered the original G2 colour scheme, but hey, there you go! Got them as a bit of a bonus when I got my RiD Cryotek. Still like Cryotek more, but both Dreadwing and (especially) Smokejumper are nicely poseable (certainly considering their age!), and give a real glimpse of what was to come. The fact that they sit nicely in the generally ultra-articulated RiD line, despite being available a good few years before is testament to that!

This topic actually inspired me to do a bit of research. I remembered reading way back when that these moulds combined with the Armada Megs/Galvy & Tidal Wave ones. Managed to find the instructions for the first bit (see below), any ideas how to throw TW into the mix, too?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Satomiblood

^ That's pretty cool.

12. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have and like the G2 toys. Dreadwing's gattling cannon is very good at shooting missiles far. Be careful about loosing the missiles. Dreadwing can also drop bombs by pushing the buttons on the wings. There are 12 missiles in all, the most of any other US Transformer. By the way, if you have the G2 version, Smokecreen's forearms are switched an I recommend getting a screwdriver to switch them. The G2 series was the first Transformers to use ball joints, so these were highly articulated. The combined jet mode is not bad either, making 6 modes possible, since Dreadwing is a triplechanger. Dreadwing also has an "automorph" feature where the wings spring up. The universe version is the most affordable so buy that if you have a small budget.

13. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I have the BW2 version(s). BB (aka Dreadwind) is definitely back heavy, but as far as articulation goes, they're a degree of ahead-of-their-time... Starscrem (hey, that's what the stickers say!) isn't particularly awesome by himself, but is still a cool toy, but BB is really cool, and a triple-changer to boot... Starscrem (yes I'm going to keep calling him that, it amuses me) makes for a good add-on to him, and fills out his bomber mode very well. They compliment each other very well, and definitely are best enjoyed as a set... each alt mode kinda lacks something individually (though BB's tank mode is pretty cool on its own), but putting them together fixxes that up right quick.

Definitely worth getting ahold of. I like the black/yellow/purple of the BW2 version... I'd make the decision of which to get by picking which colors you like best and by price.

14. Edgewise

Edgewise updated homage

News Credits:
    14 missiles for the whole set: 6 for the gatling launcher, 6 for the wing bomb-drop points, and 2 for the single missile launcher guns

15. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I have G2 Dreadwing and Smokescreen. Of all the versions, the best color scheme is this and the BWII version. The cheapest MISB you can find are the BWII ones. As for the bots themselves, they have very good articulation, nice transformations and great alt modes. Like G2 Laser OP mold, these two figures are a must have. Dreadwing is the same size as RID Scourge/Laser OP, while Smokescreen is as tall as universe Hound, so he's sligthly shorter than average.

16. Vampyr

Vampyr Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    extremely cool molds, i prefer the bwII version, that's the one who looks the most evil i think (minus the yellow neon missiles)
    yet, the silver plastic leave me a feel of weakness...something near as the gold plastic syndrome, the time will tell i guess.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Purple/black looks great. I have the Robotmasters duo.

18. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    Has anybody tried combining any of these repaints with Armada Megatron/Galvatron?

19. Satomiblood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Squawktalk

Squawktalk Light cyclist

News Credits:
    ^^^
    i saw that, i was just wondering if it still works with the other repaints like bb and starscream...