Questions about G1 Encore Ironhide/Ratchet Custom Heads

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

I have two questions regarding these heads. How's the quality? How big are they in terms of modern day size classes (scout or deluxe)?

2. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Quality is great. They are about scout class, same as most G1 cars.

3. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    Here are some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heads fold up for storage in car mode. (You don't have to remove it during transformation).
    [​IMG]

Ironhide in traditional robot mode; Ratchet's arms are rotated up.
    [​IMG]

You can see that the head makes Ironhide look weird. Simplest remedy is to rotate the arms like Ratchet's. You do loose what little arm articulation the figure had though.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The add on heads plastic is pretty decent quality and while it does make the figure look strange since it was originally designed for the "head" to be in the chest, there is a simple way to fix it (above) and Pun-3X has a mod that will give you your arm articulation back. It is somewhere in the Radicons section of this site. Overall I am very pleased with the set and highly recommend it for both Ironhide & Ratchet.

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
  5. Scaleface

Scaleface TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay, old thread, but I figured why start a new one... I got those heads recently cheap, but I need the black and green ones too...

[​IMG]

Anyone know where to find the black/green versions of these heads for a reasonable price?

6. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

Just another opinion...they look as good as they could, the fact that they fold up for transformation is really neat. That said, I think I'm in the minority for liking the original figures just fine...yes, it requires some leap of the imagination but the strange Andre the Giant 2-D face plates are interesting looking and they give a hint to the days before Transformers were Transformers.

Plus, as mentioned, the heads introduce some new proportional problems that they didn't previously have. :( 

So, IMO... I'll pass on them. Let the awkward Ratchet/Ironhide just molds be weird.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have them but I can't remember where I picked them up. Years ago, probably when this thread started.

If you rotate the hands so the back of the hands face forward, it presents a smoother-looking "shoulder" as the backs of the hands are black.

8. Michel_Beckers

Michel_Beckers Well-Known Member

i got them too, love them! quallity is great! they fit perfect, and its a great update for Ratchet and Ironhide