Questions about G-1 Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Toei, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

Please don't make fun of me for posting this. I'm not trying to be polically correct or a goody two shoes. This is just something I've been thinking about lately and I just wanted to know you guys opinion on it.

Anyway, earlier this year, I was fortunate enough to be able to buy a reissue of G1 Megatron for the low price of only $50.00. :D  When I got him, I showed my father and my youngest brother and his girlfriend. They thought he was pretty frightening because he looked so much like a real pistol. They said I shouldn't bring him out in public either as a result.

So what I'm thinking is was this toy ever okay for kids to play with when Transformers came out in the 80's? Was there any mother of little boys back in 1984 who had issues with their son buying a Megatron? Being so fond of 80's cartoons and pop culture, I know about how most 80's cartoons weren't as violent as they were today and had postive messages. Yet a toy of Megatron looks so scary to so many people.

What do you guys think?

Again, please don't flame me for this. It's just something I was thinking about. Also, I have Aspergers so I tend to think of topics like this...

2. devstar37

devstar37 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    we live in a diffrent world now tham we did as in the 80's.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

In the 80s, kids ran around with toy guns all the time. Strangely, the world didn't end.

4. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

In 1985, when I was in middle school, as an elective, we had the option of taking target practice with pellet guns. In High School, during PE, we had archery.

Yeah, the world has changed. My parents wouldn't have had any problems with me getting Megatron, if I would have gotten it, back in the day.

5. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    The world has definitely changed...

6. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, good times back then. You could run around in the street with realistic toy guns shooting at strangers, with no risk of being actually shot.

I remember opening my childhood Megs in Woolworths (couldn't wait), and carrying him around town with me.

A kid with a gun in the '80s was a kid with a toy, not like now, on my lawn /RANT.

7. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense. I guess it was the problems with 9/11. Because of 9/11, you can't take Megatron on an airplane now...

8. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Yeah, by age 6 or 7 is when my parents bought me Megatron for my birthday. Still have him on my shelf in fact. It wasn't a problem at all to have him. No one thought anything of having a realistic toy pistol back then, especially in Texas. Heck, it would still be cool in Texas if federal laws didn't get in the way. It was all fun and games until my older brother borrowed Megatron for a parade and got himself killed by cop... Okay, that didn't really happen.

9. davidarruda

davidarruda That one guy

no, no, the world hasn't changed. people's perception of what's supposed to be right and wrong has changed.

10. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually, toy gun regulation such as blaze orange tips and bright colors were passed in the late 1980's and early 1990's, well before 9/11. And I do believe that recently "transforming toys" were allowed back on to the FAA's carry-on list and mentions Megatron specifically. Just as long as he's in robot mode.

11. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

You guys make pretty valid points. I guess people think differently sometimes as time goes by.

Kinda reminds me about how the Old School Sesame Street dvds are considered innapropriate for todays kids. They come with a warning that says "These Early episodes of Sesame Street are intended for grown ups and may not meet the needs of todays preschool child". Since some of the old SS skits show things differently than they do today. Some of the old SS skits were also kind of violent and drug influenced...

12. Shakira

Shakira Well-Known Member

I weep for the future...

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    before, cops didn't shoot children carrying a toy gun, now they do, that is all that has changed

14. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

First time I've heard of this. What exactly is violent or drug influeced on the old shows? I seriously doubt the School Sesame characters were taking drugs.

15. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Taking gun mode Megatron into public wasn't a problem back in the mid 80's. I played with mine at recess all the time and no one batted an eye. The funny thing is, 9 out of 10 people would say "Wow, Megatron!" when they saw it, instead of "Wow, a gun!" TFs were CRAZY popular back then. Everyone know who Optimus and Megatron were.

16. Toei

Toei Well-Known Member

Well here's one SS skit from 1977 that looks like an acid trip-

YouTube - Sesame Street - Scanimate H

And here's a violent one-

YouTube - Sesame Street - q for quiet (loud woodpecker)

I just think the producers of Sesame Street are just too damn PC for their own good. Sesame Street was so much better and cooler in the 70's and 80's.

Also here's an article about it-

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/magazine/18wwln-medium-t.html?_r=1

17. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, back then you were cool, now, they prolly think you're a terrorist.

I remember having BB guns and archery at camp, miss those days.

Now you cant even have the gun mode pictures of a WSTF Megs on ebay, it's ridiculous, really.

Megatron is actually banned from airports and carry-ons because he looks so real.

9/11 really changed everything, unfortunately

18. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i don't know much of anything about current thinking in political correctness and social attitudes to firearms, but that sig alone sums up my attitude to the touchy-feely 'kids can't play with toy guns' attitude.

[​IMG]

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Today is way too PC. I watched both videos. For the 'acid' one, it just looks like they got a hold of a SFX program and went a little nuts showing off. It might look weird for adults but I doubt kids will think drugs. They'll probably be entertained by the funky images. There was no mention of any sorts of drugs.

The violent one is much tamer than any violence I've seen on Loony Toons, Tom & Jerry, etc. I'd hardly even classify it as violent. It didn't show the guy getting crushed. As far as we know, it laned next to him. We just assume it lands on him. What is the age range of Sesame Street? 3-5. Kids by that age have seen much more violent things in cartoons.

I have heard they don't have Cookie Monster on anymore because liking cookies is 'bad'.

I haven't seen Sesame Street since I was 5 so I have no idea how pussified it has become, but I'd let my kids watch the 1st season shows. I'm sure its 100% fine for kids who don't have overly PC pansies for parents.

20. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    yup things have changed back then heck some Transformers back then have gimmicks they can't use today for example Repugnus' spark gimmick would be a major no no today and onthe subject of Toy guns back in the 1980s highly realistic toy guns were the norm a friend of mine had a Toy Ak-47 that was spot on for the real thing but thats changed the hey day of toy guns is past