Questions about Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Futureruleroftheuniverse, May 25, 2007.

1. Futureruleroftheuniverse

Futureruleroftheuniverse Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I kinda was a kid during the time so I don't remember the storyline of it and all.
    I don't want the storyline of Beast Wars, just need to clarify one thing...
    What is Optimus Primal's connection to Prime... I've read that he's somewhat of a decendent of the Autobots (maximals) and yeh... who exactly is he and is he from the future? past or near present to G1 era???
    cheers

2. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

In the Japanese and according to his US tech spec profile. Optimus Primal is the future version of Optimus Prime.

In the show itself Primal's a decendent but not Optimus Prime himself. And he's from the future about 300 years after the events of Rebirth IIRC :) 

3. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I thought that Big Convoy was the Japanese BW Prime?

4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The maximals themselves are decendants of the autobots. They are 300 yrs past G1. But chasing Predacon(Predacons are the decendants of the Decepticons) Megatron's ship they enter a time warp and go back millions of years and that is where Beast Wars takes place. Primal has real no connections to Prime other than they share a name, I am pretty sure.

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

According to the BW II Movie, Optimus Primal was refered to as the Supreme Commander Convoy...Big Convoy was just given the name based on his design to LOOK like Optimus Prime

6. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    About 300 years after the end of the war that was partially chronicled by G1, actually. It was never explicitly stated that Rebirth represented the last battle, indeed, it might be more accurate to say 300 years after Marvel's G2 #12, since the Vok are meant to be descended from the Swarm.

But of course G2 #12 was not the end of the saga either, so it is 300 years plus however long it took to resolve that story after that issue.

Beast Wars was clever. As long as the Ark crashed on Earth in that version of G1, it could follow any of them. It was never tied into any continuity all that firmly.

Also, in the Beast Wars Japan continuity, I think the closest you ever get to seeing the original Convoy is the head of the Convoy council. The one who is frequently shown as a large cloaked figure with a G1 esque head, who SPOILER HIGHLIGHT TO READ died when Unicron destroyed his ship.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I believe it was later retconned to 300 vorns.

Anyway, Optimus Primal was originally just a nobody captain of a science vessel on a mission of minor importance. I don't believe he is directly related to G1 Optimus Prime.

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Primal is a decendant of Prime. And I don't know where this 300 years crap comes from. The writing on the show intenmated that is was more like 300000 years after the great war ended. And the great war didn't end after "The rebirth" either. So between The rebirth and the start of BW several events happened.

1.The great war of the Autobots and decepticons ends. With both sides sharing Cybertron and the Autobots dominant.

2.The Transformers upgrade themselfs into much smaller more energon efficent bodies (pre season 3 Megatron was the tallest and he wasn't more than 12 foot tall). And rename themselfs Maximals and Predacons (also the Maximals stay dominant). Also they build their newer smaller scale Cybertron right over the Autobot/Decepticon Cybertron.

9. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I wouldnt say that, a part of there mission was to get rid of Protoform X. As for him being related to Prime, He was his decendant I remember it not only in BW but in BM too that coming up.

10. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From the show. "Dark Designs." Blackarachnia. "The Great War, three centuries ago."

11. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While there are many references to the Maximals being decendants of the Autobots, I don't recall anything in BW or BM stating that Primal was a direct descendant of Prime himself; so there's not a "familial" relationship between them--whatever that would mean for robots anyway.

Someone who's a better historian can double check me on that.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I always thought the 300 years should be reconned anyways. Such a short amount of time for such a drastic evolution when considering the lifespans of Transformers.

Beast Wars the cartoon makes no reference to Primal being a direct decendant of Optimus Prime. Don't know if BM changed this or not.

13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

According to several references, this was likely not the first time Cybertron was rebuilt right over the top of itself. Several times during G1 the lower "layers" of Cybertron were referred to as the "older" areas of Cybertron. As well as a couple of references in Beast Machines.

PERSONAL THEORY: I always sort of looked at Cybertron as a built world. Maybe it was an asteroid or something early on that had a station built on/around it by someone/something. By the time proper Transformers history began, to the point where Transformers themselves would recognize it as their own history, Cybertron had already been built and rebuilt several times, layer by layer. This is completely unsupported by any official fiction, but I think it makes Cybertronian history more interesting.

14. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't think Primal is related to Prime in any way other than by name. In fact, IIRC didn't Primal take his name in honor of Optimus, as BW Megatron did the same for G1 Megs?

(Yes, I'm intentionally ignoring the time paradox on the second one)

Which would make it 24,900 Earth years between the two storylines. I think it fits better than just 300, but it's still a very short amount of time for a species that changed very little in the previous 4 million + years.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    According to the Botcon comics, the "Maximal upgrade" was a procedure an Autobot could choose to undergo, not an evolutionary process.

It wouldn't have required any extended period of time--it was a one-time change. 300 years works just fine.

16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Yes, but consider what happen to humans in the span of the thousands of years we existed up until about 1800 or so, and then what happened between 1800 -1900. Or, even better, from 1900-2000. Consider the three hundred whatever to be the period of time between the beginning of the industrial revolution and the beginning of the computer age and it all sort of makes sense.

17. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Really it all depends on what happened at the end of the Great War. For all we know, a lot of the changes could have already been in progress by the time that thing wrapped up.

18. trebleshot

trebleshot www.Toyark.com Veteran

News Credits:
    True, but if you take into account a human's average lifespan vs. the average lifespan of a Transformer, there's a few million years difference there in which industrial or evolutionary changes can occur over time.

Forgot about this. Bit of a cop-out story-wise, but it works.

Best answer yet.:thumb 

19. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Primal referred to Prime specifically as "his ancestor," rather than "our ancestor" once or twice. That's about it.

20. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

And I'm pretty sure that those references were the episodes that featured Prime. Taken in context of the story, of course Primal would call Prime 'his' ancestor...he was housing 'his' ancestor's spark. I definitely believe that once their sparks mingled they then shared a bond/relation similiar to Vision and Wonderman.