Questionable eBay bidding?!?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thorns2010, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

I searched for a thread on this, I didn't find one, but if there is an appropriate one please point me in the right direction.

Anyway, so my other big love/collection stuff is Pearl Jam. I just won an auction on eBay for an artist print poster from one of their shows.

Needless to say, these things go for a lot of money. The odd thing to me is that I was the highest bidder on the item for the last 3 days, and then 17 seconds before the end of the auction, someone who hadn't placed an eariler bid entered a bid that jumped the final sale price by $78.04

My max bid was only $1.96 more than I won it for.

Anyway, after all that, my question is, did I get scamed at all? I don't think there is any way for someone to know your max bid on eBay, but it still seems fishy to me.

And with this new protecting the identity of the bidders I can't see if this guy has done this on other auctions or not.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Sounds like just a typical example of bid sniping (or attempted sniping). Which isn't exactly honest but doesn't qualify as against the rules either.

3. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

I know about that, but my max bid was a nice easy to guess round number! :p 

4. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

I'll tell you what's fishy. I've experienced situations where I had bid some seemingly absurd amount of money on an item, only to see a series of bids that go in even increments from the current price up to my maximum exactly and then inexplicably stop. I mean, I felt the items were worth what I bid, otherwise I wouldn't have gone so high, but it looks suspicious every single time. Of course eBay never sees my point but that's no shocker.

5. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I've bid on several items only to see one or two members with only 1 to 3 points bid to within .95 of my max bid.

Other times I've seen just a large bid to just under my max.

And it's almost always by someone with little to no points,and have been a Ebay member for a few years.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I outbid someone by 3 cents once. :D  Nothing wrong with sniping at the last minute. I got tired of losing out auctions the same way, so I joined the dark side and have not looked back since.

It is no different than putting your max bid in earlier. The only difference is the other bidders have little to no time to react to your bid.

And this is what it sounds like happened to you. Someone came in with a snipe bid at the last second.

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is why I don't bid early. I hardly ever actually "snipe," unless I see a good deal right before it's about to end. Usually unless I'm looking for something specific, I just browse the items about to end soon looking for a good deal. If I AM looking for something specific, and it's not a "buy it now" I put it on my watch list and check back a few minutes before it's scheduled to end to see if it's still in my price range. Not much chance for any shill bids to pop up after that.

8. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I knew a guy once who sold Magic cards, the really pricey ones, and had 3 diffrent ebay accounts. If he wasnt getting the price he wanted he'd log onto the other 2 and bid a little bit at a time to drive the price up. If he went over and won the item, no big deal.....of course this was back in the honor payment system days of ebay....cant do that now

9. Depthcharge

Depthcharge Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I bid snipe... it's kind of a jerk thing to do other bidders and especially to the seller but its effective and everyone does it to me when I'm selling. There are actually a couple of Firefox plugins out there that automate the bid sniping process.

Never make your max bids a round number. Always through in some random amount of change. I've won auctions by as little at $0.06 that way.

10. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Yeah, I've been using ebay for years, but over the last year i've had to resort to sniping to get most things, especially toys. Whenever I bid early I constantly get these guys with 0 feedbacks driving the price up. I know theres no chance in hell they are going to buy it. They got 10+ bids in the toys section and 0 feedback, please. If I see it multiple times on the same seller I just avoid them all together.

11. decepticonjon

decepticonjon japness for balls

so it was you!!
    i kid, guilty as charged officer

12. DethPike

DethPike Master of Sinanju

Ebay:
    Everytime that happens to me, I retract my bid. What that is is the guy's BUDDY going in there and bidding until he maxes you out, and he can tell when to stop because the bidding will be like "$50" and then it'll tell the bidder. "Oh, your last bid was $50 - current bid is $50. How about them apples. Bid again!" - so it TELLS them when to stop because it TELLS them when they will then be the high bidder.

Ebay doesn't care because Ebay just wants your cash.

Wanna avoid that? If you only want to spend $50 let's say, bid $49.07 or something. So when the guy gets to $49 and bids another dollar, OOPS! :) 

13. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

I know how they do this. I've bid up in incriments up to a point were I notice that the automatic price increase can give away what the other persons max bid is. I then wait till the last second and go $50 over that. An ass would just bid it up to that point just to make the your highest bid win the auction. What's worse is when the seller is in league with the person, which has happens a lot.

Then there are the idiots who are to obvious and bid over your max, and just remove their last bid. Leaving your max bid as the winner.

14. Code

Code Banned

Ebay:
    nothing questionable here