Question - what was your reaction to MP-01

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by General Magnus, Sep 14, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I got curious, but to those older members, what were your first reactions when you heard and saw the firsts pics of Masterpiece Optimus Prime?

2. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    When I first heard the MP/ 20th Anniversary toy was going to be Optimus I wasn;t surprised but figgured I wouldn't be that into yet another Optimus toy. Then the pics came out and I got pretty excited. When I found out the US rlease was going to have the short stacks I as pretty disappointed, but still excited. The actual toy turned out gret, but the protos made it look spectacular as all the littl details could be seen.

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Nerdgasm. That pretty much covers it. And then a strong desire to proclaim it a new god and kill all unbelievers once I owned one.

4. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was honestly really excited for the toy and bought the darned thing as soon as it came out at retail. Though, I can honestly say that I wasn't that impressed after I bought him. Yeah, he's cool and all and I had fun transforming him the first couple of times, but he was just so big and heavy (two things which I really don't like in my Trasnformers) so I eventually ended up selling him off on eBay. A great figure, but not my personal cup of tea... matter of fact I can honestly say that about most of the Alternators and Masterpieces that have been released to date... about the only thing I'm really interested in coming out Masterpiece wise is that rumored Grimlock, because there isn't a darned figure of him that has been large enough to do the character justice (as I see it) ever.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Hard to really remember, honestly. 20th Optimus and Alt Smokescreen were revealed at pretty much the same time, so my exact reactions to both blur together. I do know I was really excited for it.

6. Henriquedematos

Henriquedematos Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I loved him :p 

7. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

I remember seeing 20th Ann Prime at Toys R Us one time, and was kinda "meh", but that was because I wasn't into TF's at the time. Though I was when MP-04 was announced! Man, I was PUMPED for that! Preordered that bad boy for $164!

8. Prometheum5

Prometheum5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seeing those first grey test-shot/prototype pics was pretty much nerdgasm...

9. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Uuh..totally blown away? but seriously it's the only one great figure still missing from my collection. sooner or later i have to get it.

10. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I didn't have the internet at the time but I do remember seeing an advert for him in a magazine somewhere and thinking it was a great-looking action figure and wondering if they'd ever make something like that which could also transform. I was very surprised and pleased when I found out it wasn't just a super-detailed Actionmaster-type thing and did actually transform. Then I got depressed because I knew I wasn't likely to see one in the shops over here in Blighty.
    A few weeks later I chanced upon a new toy import shop - it was the Hasbro 20th Prime in the window display which actually drew my attention - so I went in and bought one. Very fortuitous day because normally I'd never go down this particular street, but I was wandering about waiting for the comic shop to open and was looking for a place to sit.
    I was slightly bummed that the Hasbro one didn't have the long stacks like I'd seen in the magazine, but I lucked out a few months later when the same shop got a MIB Masterpiece Prime in, so I snapped that one up too. I normally never buy two of the same figure, and certainly not at the prices MPs are and just for such small differences between the two, but for this great piece I folded and emptied my wallet onto the counter. And I've never regretted it.

Not many TFs get to hang out in my permanent display, but there'll always be a place for MP Prime. :) 

11. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Memory refresher. This was the first thing we saw.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IIRC, the first time i saw it, was also the first time i saw BT Smokescreen.
    So, whilst i thought it was pretty cool... for me it was overshadowed by Smokescreen.

13. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

I came back to collecting when MP-01 had already been out a couple of years. But my response was pretty much :jawdropper:  followed by a mad, frantic scramble for my credit card.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was amazed! It is the best version of G1 Optimus ever! My only complaint is that it is top heavy! :D 

15. ad0nis01

ad0nis01 Well-Known Member

My first reaction was trying to figure out how it was gonna cost, so I can free up some space on my credit card.