Question to Transformers fans with children

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Hi everyone.

My wife and I are planning to start our family by the end of 2008 (start having babies, you know?)

So, a question to those fathers who have TF toys: what did you do with them? Did you keep your TF toys at a secret place that your children couldn't find? Kept them high? Or did you use the toys to play with your kids?

Did you take any special safety measures? Or were you happy to share your TF toys with your children?

2. NemesisPrime

NemesisPrime Banned

My collection is my own. My daughter, now four, knows what are "Special" to me, and what she can play with.

Everything I get out of the new waves coming out, I give her a chance to pick one too. We'll play with them together. I also bring out the G1, and play with her and her playskool gobots.

She has her own Masterpiece Prime, and is looking forward to getting the Walmart MP Starscream. :D 

3. phreakybot

phreakybot Well-Known Member

Yard Sales are great for finding kiddie toys... I allow my boys to play with previously loved TF's and mine stay up on the high shelf!

4. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine are all on shelves, out of reach. My eldest daughter, 3 1/2, has some of her own. She's not keen on most of 'em, but likes the ones she has, like softimus Prime, the Target Gift Card Prime, and the Playschool Go Bot she has. If she shows more of an interest as she gets older, I'll be mroe than iwlling to let her play with the ones that match her developmental level.

-Tony!

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    When children are very young many of Transformer toys should be kept away from them anyway for the safety reasons. Plus wiping milky dribbles off your toys can be tedious.

Having said that, I have no "off limits" TFs except for BT-17 and it's only because I worry about the paint chipping.
    I have nothing worth over $100, though :lol 

Last edited: Jul 31, 2007
  6. TFMyriad

TFMyriad Coins detected in pocket!

News Credits:
  7. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Even though i am single and have no plans for marriage, i do plan to eventually pass on my TFs when i either retire or die. I want my children and grandchildren to have the joy of TFs like i did. I will eventually let them use my TFs to play with as along as they are careful.

8. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    Mine are up on shelves, but in our 10-month-old daughter's room so she can at least see them. I let her play with some of the new ones with supervision, and I picked up Softimus Prime and Slumblebee for her to play with, which she LOVES. I also nabbed Spider-man and Venom mini-plushes for her from Target now that they've clearanced them down to a buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, she was fascinated by Classics even at an early age:

[​IMG]

9. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    EDIT: Double post. Whoops!

10. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The moment my daughter could move I boxed up everything. Now that she's two and I have a seperate room for my collection she understands that that room is off limits. I also gave her those transforming cars that turn into animals, can't remember there names, mustang to cobra, indy car to trex and the other two. She loves them. I think very highly of the gobot playschool toys, great things for learning kids.

Most important thing is to remember that childeren WILL get into almost anything you have, so do your best to remove temptation.

Best of luck for you and your wife.

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Mine were (I've since sold off almost all of my toy collection) on a display shelf. Mainline stuff was on the bottom half. Somewhat more expensive stuff (G1 reissues for example) were in the middle, about 3-4 feet off the ground. Masterpiece and other very expensive items at the top, 6-7 feet off the ground. My policy for my kids and their friends was, if they can reach it standing flat on the ground (no climbing), they can play with it. I didn't care a bit about mainline toys, they're made for kids to play with anyway and I consider them pretty much fair game by the time my kids were old enough to crawl over to them. Reissues are more delicate, but by the time they're old enough to reach them they're old enough that we've taught them to be respectful of other's possessions and to be more careful with delicate things. We never reached the point where they could reach and play with the expensive stuff, although I never had a problem getting them down and letting them play with them supervised and sitting right beside me.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah Im thinking that once I have kids, Ill either have the room with my goodies locked or move the stuff into storage until they are old enough.

13. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

I have a separate room for my stuff, that my daughter is only allowed into when I'm with her (she's 4). She does however have all the robot heroes, and loves them. She also has a few TFs of her own, Classics Skywarp, Starscream, Bumblebee (on order), Grimlock, Cybertron Beast Megatron, and Armada Bendy Prime. I've also bought her a reissue Prowl and TRU Soundwave, which she hasn't received yet. She doing pretty well, I think.

14. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I keep my stuff out in the open on display. My kids know what they can and cannot touch. I also keep the expensive stuff up out of their reach.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    rick astleys pics made me go aaaaawww.

counter attack! form of a giant BGAW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

My stuff is kept in a seperate room. I let my two boys go in there with me, and they get to play with a couple at time - only the mainline ones though. They also have a collection each, and are getting better at looking after them. Once I see them look after their own very well, I'll let them look at my more delicate ones.

17. Sector Seven

Sector Seven ∞ GΣΣK™

My kids have always left "my stuff" alone - they have always had their own TFs, boys and girls alike, to play with as they will.

I've always been fortunate enough to have a room to myself where I could keep my stuff away from the hands of kids and guests.

18. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    HAHA! Glad I'm not the only one siccing Venom on my children :) 

19. rabbit prime

rabbit prime Well-Known Member

same with my 2 year old girl...by the way had another minicon on the 18th!!!baby girl! 9lb !7oz...had to fight tooth and nail with her mama to get her in her autobot onesie!!!

start off with go bots then by 2nd grade...graduate to the real thing...my oldest lost primes head like, 20 times!

20. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I had them in storage till I bought a bigger house. now they have their own room/office. I let her play in there under supervision and she loves my room.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]