Question to the US Sellers

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by D-Compose, Mar 24, 2011.

1. D-Compose

D-Compose wCw United States Champ

News Credits:
    Hey All,

Just a quick question here, why are some US sellers not willing to ship to Canada? I see a nice G2 Ramjet, which I'm looking for, along with some other G2s I'd like to get and there is a NO-Shipping to Canada..

Transformers Generation 2 RAMJET | eBay

I mean, what's up with that, I though we were like Brothers. The upstairs tennant...you know... We never complain about the loud music downstairs, so why cheat us out of good toys :) 

Kev

2. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    lol I like the way you put it on the analogy =)

Anyways, its probably due to the excessive shipping... personally, I sell the Canada as long as they PM me beforehand. Its possible that sellers just don't want to put "international" as their shipping range.

3. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Excessive shipping... such a myth. Some US seller was arguing it would cost me $21 to ship the new DOTM Preview Prime and actual cost ended up being only $4.70. It's usually just ignorance and lazyness. Actually, it's almost always cheaper to ship something USPS First Class from the US to Canada than from Canada to Canada. Go figure.

4. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    its not a complete myth. If I am dealing on this BTS threads, yes, I can go with cheap shipping to Canada, but not when you have to have tracking, which is essiential so you don't get screwed on ebay. Your "preview prime" can probably fit in a much smaller box. Last time I had to ship a BW Megatron, I coughed up a little on my own even after I charged 15$ for shipping.

5. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    It's pretty much only American sellers that refuse to ship out of their country, you don't see that anywhere else in the world. Yet the "effort" is the same regardless of where you ship from. Quote to get, sometimes a small form to fill, put the stuff in the mail, that's it. If actual shipping ends up costing more, it means you've done something wrong on your end, something that can happen to any seller in the world.

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Shipping out of the country can be a big pain if people have to guesstimate the weight of the package. Before i had a scale i did not sell overseas on ebay because of the shipping problems i was already having on the junkion.

This is a good post.

Priority International is expensive. One of these threads indicated that you can ship registered but its still not cheap. First class to canada is pretty cheap but its not an option i would ever use on ebay.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  7. sunlink

sunlink Be Transformed TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Part of it is the extra hassle. Another part is that most buyers complain if the seller doesn't devalue the declared value or dont mark it as a gift. I've had International bidders leave me bad feedback because I wouldn't do that (even though my auctions state that I wont). As a seller I don't need that headache.

I would also expect that eBay sellers would want their items to arrive quickly and safely to their destinations. So if something is sent air mail and it takes 40 days but the buyer has already filed a complaint the seller would have more time to make sure their butts were covered. Again a headache I wouldnt want as a seller. But then again I ship to most international locations but only via EMS.

8. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm curious about marking it as a gift. I've done that for members here. Is there an issue with doing this if it ends up in dispute?

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I do it here. I sell to all over the world, here. I don't mind marking it down on the value, or shipping without tracking and very slow method as long as the member has reputable feedback here. Because those things are "off the book".

But if it comes to selling on ebay, you bet I am going to protect my ass with everything I've got. I am going to want the least expensive tracking option. A lot of times, I go thru the trouble of going to the post office to get a quote, return to answer the buyer, and the buyer is no go. That wasted about 15 minutes of my time (post office isn't too far, but it isn't close from my office and my home)

Its just easier at times. I always sell international here on boards, though.

10. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    It is not overly expensive to ship to Canada. Yes, tracking is quite expensive, but also delays the transit time exponentially. Extra work? Why you have to fill out a customs form? Its the same amount of writing (maybe less) than filling out the US tracking sticker.

And besides, if the buyer is paying for the shipping costs, why should the seller care? The only real reasons why someone wouldn't ship to Canada is if they encountered problems in the past.

11. megatroptimus

News Credits:
    Happens everywhere.

Btw, from US to Canada, shipping with or without tracking is almost the same, when you add tracking, you might get your stuff a couple days earlier, that's it.

12. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Personally I have had some problems in the past with verifying delivery, buyers feeling shipping was too high (I ship USPS flat rate), I don't have a scale and don't have every day access to a computer either. These are my reasons for not selling out of US any more.

13. D-Compose

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've actually tried to reach them, but it won't even let me ask them a question because of my geographical location :( 

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    that's weird, some canadian buyers do get thru to me. Is it just the extension of ebay? as in if you type in ebay.com/us?

15. D-Compose

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know, I had never seen the message, it's almost like an out-of-office, generic message, telling me to go away.

16. Skalor

Skalor Stunticon

Opening up an auction to international bidders has increasted my payday on several auctions. For that reason, I don't mind selling to international anywhere, the buyer is paying for the shipping anyways. The only problem I have is USPS First Class International shipping, which is my preferred method, has no tracking/insurance options.

17. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    That is probably the worst way to ship on ebay since they require tracking if there is a dispute (not received).

Tracking is expensive but worth it to cover yourself.

18. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    In my case, it all depends on how irritated I get with buyers. I don't sell on ebay, but when I post a list here sometimes I'll sell anywhere in the world, sometimes it's anywhere except Italy and Peru (the postal black holes), sometimes it's only the US, sometimes I'll just do US and Canada. I don't have a problem sending stuff internationally, but everyone wants to beat me up over price (how dare I charge $4 to mail something to Singapore? The item is only $3. And then to have the balls to bitch at me when it shows up mangled but undamaged after I took a hit on the shipping?) to the point where I just want to say fuck it.

Don't get me wrong, some of my favorite buyers are in Canada and the UK. But I just can't deal with all the bullshit from people that don't want to pay for the full cost. Base shipping to the UK for a deluxe is about $9. Most people in the UK understand that, and my prices are often good enough for people to still feel like they're getting a deal. Base shipping to Canada for a deluxe is like $5. Same deal. Base shipping to most of Asia is $9, too, but for some reason they (as a whole, not everyone I've dealt with has been a price hammer) feel entitled enough to only have to pay $4. On a $6 figure. So if I did the deal, once they stuck me with paypal fees, I'd maybe get $.50. And every so often, that gets me enough to ruin it for the rest of people.

As for why I generally didn't ship outside the US when I sold on ebay: Similar deal. By the time shipping was covered under Paypal's agreements, nobody wanted to pay it. We're talking things like MISB G2 Laser Prime and MISB Machine Wars Prime or a G1 Weirdwolf that I'd have to get $100 of insurance on... High-ish end stuff that doesn't sell well here. Not a Movie Preview Prime or anything where I wouldn't be too too pissed if I ended up eating $10 because someone exploited a system.

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sorry but with ebay's "Buyer wins 100%" of all claims, I can't afford to ship things without tracking numbers anywhere. It sucks but what are sellers to do?

The bad guys outnumber us and we have no voice in the claim dispute process:( .

We will lose 100% of the time... It's like we are going up against the Harlem Globetrotters :lol 

20. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is basically the reason. The USPS will only ship Priority or Express International to certain countries (not to mention they don't even list them all on usps.com). Often when I package an item in an appropriate box, weigh it, calculate the shipping then send the shipping quote, I get a rude message back from the buyer stating either my stupidity or my intention to rip them off. It's just not worth the extra money I may or may not make shipping worldwide. Let's not even get into the sheer madness of gifts, falsifying values and fees international buyers have to pay just to pick items up.