Question to some of the universal nerd Bronies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Battalion22, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Battalion22

Battalion22 Member

I have a question I want to find out something that's been bugging me for a bit. As many of you saw DOTM know, Trekkis were pissed when Sentinel Prime quoted the line:"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." And yet when it was announced that John De Lancie was going to voice Discord in season 2 of MLP:FiM, Brony-Trekkis were ecstatic.

So my question is as follows:"Are some of you who were pissed at the unnecessary Spock quote, elated when "Q" voiced Discord?"

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Probaby because Treekie hold Spock in high regard....ony to see "Spock"inal Prime turn evil.

Meanwhile John DeLacie is a delightfull chap.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was awesome that Mr DeLacie did Discord, especially given that the character was a toned-down version of Q. I do have to say that the coolest thing about those episodes was the Star Wars ending :D 

4. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    What is a "Brony?" A portmanteau of "Bro" and "Pony?"

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    A male fan of My Little Pony.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

I was not mad that Sentinel quoted that line, lets face it, logic is very dependent on the view of the individual. Logic without morals is one of the deadliest weapons in existence.

As for the question of De Lancie, the man does what he wants =-D

7. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nowadays we can apply that term to any fan outside the target demographic, that is, anyone except little girls. Therefore, this includes adult female fans too. :D 

8. Battalion22

Battalion22 Member

Basically yes... That's what we male fans of MLP:FiM call ourselves...

Well that explains that... I thought in regards to the Spock quote, it was because of the context and how it felt unfitting. Or if want the juvenile approach the fact that the line was used in a Michael Bay Transformers film.

Interesting...

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

While I felt the line was terribly cliche (not helped by the fact the guy who originally said it was saying it again as a different character from a different series), it made sense in context as Sentinel believed what he and the Decepticons was in the best interest of the survival of all Cybertronians. Even though he was putting the screws to an even larger population of sentient beings at the exact same time. Plus, there would have been the people who would have been pissed if that line wasn't spoken since it was Nimoy voicing Sentinel.

As for John De Lancie, the man is a voice acting god around the same level as Frank Welker. It also helps that Discord pretty much IS the MLP:FiS version of Q, right down to the finger snapping to do all kinds of stuff and amusing himself through toying with others. It was a real treat to see him in action as a god of chaos in a land filled with ponies.

10. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    As a Star Trek fan, I don't have a problem with any ST alumni voicing/playing a character with a completely different personality from what their ST character was. This turns out awesome sometimes (i.e. Jonathan Frakes as David Xanatos on Gargoyles).

I just felt the line given by Sentinel didn't make much sense given the setting, and was somewhat groanworthy when it was the second Trek reference in the film (and the first one from Wheelie was better).

11. Battalion22

Battalion22 Member

Uh-huh... I feel bad for not catching the Star Wars ending at first, and was fangasing when I caught it. :p  And how was Discord a toned down Q? I ask because though I grew up on Star Trek Voyager, I never saw the final episodes that included Q. :( 

That's odd because a lot of individuals that I've talked to and seen outside of these boards like the reviews TheSpoony1 and CinemaSnob, along with the group review of ToddInTheShadows, Nostalgia Chick, and The Makeover Fairy, and a friend of mine whom I converse with on skype say that line was out of context. Me? I sat in my seat at the theatre thinking:"What's this many you speak of?" Are you talking about the Decepticons you sided with because they just want to rule Cybertron."

You mean to tell me there are Star Trek fans who would've been irritated if Sentinel hadn't quoted Spock? o_O  Well given some of the responses to my question I can see that...

That makes sense as well...

12. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    People got mad about that line?

Here's the full list of Q episodes off his Wikipedia page. Watch every one of these.

Star Trek: The Next Generation:
    "Encounter at Farpoint"
    "Hide and Q"
    "Q Who?"
    "Déjà Q"
    "Qpid"
    "True Q"
    "Tapestry"
    "All Good Things..."

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:
    "Q-Less"

Star Trek: Voyager:
    "Death Wish"
    "The Q and the Grey"
    "Q2"

13. Koolimus Prime

Koolimus Prime Weapons Expert

I wonder what the Trekkies thought about G1 Galvatron, then.

14. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
    If Peter Cullen did a voice for some other Sci Fi franchise and did a nod to Transformers, would we get all HUFF PUFF pissed? I doubt it.

15. Cryosis

Cryosis Prowler in the yard

Bronies= Cancer.

16. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm sure there are at least some Libras and Pisces among them.

17. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Not today Galvatron!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    ZING!

Also why do people have the need to complain about EVERYTHING?

Attached Files:

18. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Aaaaand we managed 14 posts before the shit started. I swear that's a new record. Can we get this locked before we get more flaming?

19. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

John de Lancie is a bro. I was so fucking happy when I heard him voicing Discord.

I'd say the Spock line wasn't as well received because it felt like it was forced in. Discord didn't spout any famous Q lines just for the sake of fan-service.

20. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I'm a reluctant Trekkie (being forced to watch by my older brother) and thought it was a very cool nod to the Trekkie fandom considering what Spock is to Star Trek. Also considering, if it wasn't for Desilu Productions and the Star Trek Gamble who really knows how long it would have taken to get that kind of programming on the air? Transformers is breaking new ground paving the way for Robotech, Battletech, and a couple of other mech heavy movies; it's natural that a nod go out to the some of the original fans of the genre as a whole.

Also the one with Wheelie reciting the line, "this is the episode where Spock goes bad." I found that to be effing hilarious.