Question to G1 fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Proxima, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Proxima

Proxima Goddess of Darkness

Hello Gals and Guys,

I've been around the forums for a bit now but after the Ultra Magnus post in the Toy section about a "G1 accurate figure" which we eventually found out they wanted a G1 Cartoon~ accurate figure, it got me thinking.

As I mentioned in that thread I grew up with Generation 2 and thus everything else that followed. I've read most of the old comic (which is packed away at my parents) and I remember however I started with Issue 7 of the marvel US version. My mom got it for me when I was sick because it had the Dinobots on the cover.

Anywho, on to my question. It was brought up that because I grew up with G2 and stuff onwards that I "wouldn't understand" why people are pure G1 only fanatics, and I guess it's true.

My questions to you is are hopefully simple.

-- Why are G1 Purists so fanatical about G1 versus anything else that has come out?

-- Why is everything that is not G1 instantly considered terrible and stupid?

-- If G1 was so perfect, why did Generation 2 practically flop and nearly cancel all future Transformer series of toys?

2. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    1: Dont say all G1 purist. I am all about G1 in terms of collecting and hold that in highest regards over all else. But I do like and enjoy new stuff. I chose not to buy it thats all.

2: G1 is the birthmoder of TF. some fans think this is the best thing and nothing else come close. Me I like all stuff baisiclly but once again, I chose not to colelct it toywise. As to looking at shows..Im all ffor that and I like the movies.

3: it wasent G2s fault..Acctionmasters killed it before...it was just not reovering ;) 

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Purists of any kind are annoying. The point just is that they view what they like with rose-tinted glasses and refuse to look beyond their limited horizon. It's a human condition. Don't question it.

Since G1 was the introduction to the world of Transformers for many fans, it also ended up spawning the largest number of purists.

4. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

-early BW I did consider myself a G1 purist, obviously I grew up. I'm not a fan of the Bay-former movies, but I did buy at least 10 figures. I did not enjoy the Energon cartoon (the comics were fine), I loved the toyline.

-I no longer feel that.

-neon colors, no actual marketing media (12 issues in limited release is not enough), and if I recall correctly, the G2 cartoon was aired when kids had to leave the home to go to school (8:30am). I would have loved to see the Rotor Force, Laser Rods, Dreadwing, and Cyberjets in a cartoon.

5. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like a strawman to me. I have yet to meet anyone who only loves G1 and thinks everything else is crap.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I just chalk it up to certain people missing the shortbus.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

#1 you have to take something into consideration about the G1 "purists" when it comes to fans they are the vocal minority, I like to think a majority of us old timers enjoy more than just one series.

There is probably a healthy dose of rose colored glasses blinding some people to the good points of the rest of the franchise.

#2 Your not being very fair here to say that only applies to the more vehement fans of G1. There are just as many fans of the movie franchise, animated, and beast wars that are equally derogatory of fans of other series.

That being said that whole phenomena is one of the little fun bits of human nature, the ability to somehow exist with 0 sense of objectively and total unreasonablity. That... trait extends far beyond the borders of our fandom.

3 if you are referring to the toy line of G2 then the problem lies in the fact the majority of the line was just wacky repaints and it lacked a television presence to back it up, same with machine wars.. Although most of those molds were just silly anyway.

Most of the more close minded fans of the early sections of the franchise don't understand or care about the notions of brand health or the continuing legacy. The more rabid fans or later media also don't seem to be able to appreciate the roots of it either.

Those unhealthy and inflexible views on a toy franchise quite likely extend into their attitudes on other segments of their lives as well. A complete or prevailing lack of objectivity in life does not serve anyone well.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  8. Proxima

-> Knight Convoy

Oh I know the questions are directed more at the hardcore G1 folks, not the "normal" ones. I have nothing but respect for people who can look past differences and see change as a good thing.

9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

You seem to be looking for logical answers where none exist. The views of any fans that are so closed minded and lacking objectivity are not at all healthy and totally illogical.

10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

G1 will always have a special place in my heart, because it's where the Transformers world all started for me. But I don't consider the original series the best Transformers series ever created. I consider Beast Wars to be the best Transformers series, and I've really been enjoying Transformers: Prime of late.

For whatever it's worth, I do consider the original 1986 Transformers movie the best thing to ever come out of the world of Transformers. And I don't just think that it's because of nostalgia. I think it's got a great story, very good animation, and an oustanding vocal cast.

11. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Well i for one love anything Transformers all but the Bay movies(but ive still seen all three). I watch Prime as i did with animated(good show just didnt like how they looked) G2 failed cause there wasnt any cartoon to back it up and the toys were old when we could have gotten Overlord or the brest force. All of the TF cartoons i watched even beast machines the worst that was put out. I like G1 the best and i wish it would be updated

12. darkunor

darkunor Banned

To me personally, it seems that the purpose of this post is to do nothing other than instigate or should I say flamebait, so I'm going to do you the honour and rise to the occassion!

First of all, I can't stand that smug attitude of if you can't or don't appreciate anything outside G1, in my case US G1, then there is something wrong with you and not the other incarnations! Bullcrap!!!!! Maybe I have a problem with seeing Optimus Prime as a monkey or some of my favourite childhood characters being updated and copied with no creative thought process and pokemonised in several non-imaginative incarnations and maybe I have a problem with the fact that some of the incarnations can use the robots in diguise theme so freely but yet it's not fully utilised (I'm looking at you, Beast Wars)!

And I know the response is going to be- Aw, you've got to try to know! And my response to that is, it's just entertainment, I don't have to force my self to watch or get into anything I don't find entertaining, I got other stuff to do-work, girlfriend, weightlifting, videogames and guess what, other TV shows. So if it doesn't float my boat I wont watch it!

It's simple, because to me nothing after G1 has been able to capture my attention and imagination the way the toys and the show did in the 80's! What I'm saying, is that G1 was the most influential, iconic and most creative thig that's come out of the TF franchise to date and I guess I'm still awaiting a show that would leave me in awe in my early thirties the way the first episode of G1 did when I was younger and the way the TF 86 movie did when I was a bit older and to date nothing in the TF universe post G1 has had that resounding and profound effect on me!

13. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Every TF universe has purists. Someone who goes around saying it has to be Movie or else is just as bad as the G1 only people.

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Why is it I saw the thread title and just knew this was going to be bashing G1 in some way? Don't blame G1. Blame the crazy people. People can be just as fanatic about other series in TF.

G1 may have started me off but I've followed and bought figures from just about every TF line I could get my hands on. My enjoyment of them has varied but it's all still Transformers to me. G1 does hold a special place in my heart though, like that first girl you kissed or that first notch on your bedpost.

Frankly though, does it really matter if some people consider G1 the be-all and end-all of TF and everything else after is considered sub-par to them? Some people worry far too pointlessly much about what other people like and/or dislike and how it's not the same as their own opinion.

15. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    This.

16. OptimusTimelord

OptimusTimelord Masterpiece Reanimator

I have gradually come to realise, through reading forums and such, that I am a G1 purist!
    Firstly let me say that I have no objections to new and different variations of the brand, and I also try not to be negative about stuff that I don't like (the Bayverse toys for example, which I honestly think are some of the worst robots we've ever ever had design-wise; yet rarely if ever do I voice that opinion). Indeed, lots of new things still impress me... I really liked the bold style of Animated and the inventive transformations/screen accuracy. But I don't collect it, and probably will never collect anything that's not directly G1-inspired. What it boils down to is childhood I guess. G1 started when I was a young schoolkid and it blew me away; the toys, the toon, the comics, the whole zeitgeist. Took me right through my school years, and ended at the perfect time, as I was off to college. My memories of schoolfriends and family and days out and Birthdays and Christmasses and holidays for that seven or eight year period are inextricably linked to which comic was out that week, which new TF I had saved up for and bought, which episode I had taped off tv etc...

No new show or characters can ever mean anything like as much to me, it's impossible. I can watch new stuff, and check out new toy lines, but I can never recapture my childhood with it the way a G1 reissue/homage or Masterpiece figure can.

At the end of the day, I can justify collecting TFs that I wished I'd had when I was young, or new and better versions of those characters; but as a grown-up I'm afraid there's not much appeal in collecting today's kid's toys made for today's kids. I don't understand why anyone would actually expect me to!

Hope that gives you some insight into my G1 mind! :) 

17. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

You don´t post around TFW much do you? I can name you at least one poster who was dancing the happy dance when Animated got canned for example.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I like to use this analogy since there´s a sig about cars and G1.

The Renault FT-17 tank from World War 1. It´s a tank, the tank that laid the basic design that all modern tanks have, with it´s mounted armament in a turning turret. When it appeared, it was a very innovative design and it was something new.

With the passing of the years, came more tanks, better armed, faster, overall better, along with some flukes and oddities that should be wrecked and forgotten, however they all shared the basic trait the small little FT-17 tank had, and all could be traced to that basic design. That doesn´t make the FT-17 the ultimate tank, but it makes it a legacy that drove forward the armor advancement.

Basically it´s the same thing with G1, it´s the first series that set the guidelines for several shows and movies that follow. While that automatically doesn´t make it better, it also doens´t make it bad. It´s a legacy and all TF shows, good or bad, are traced to G1.

19. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Hello, welcome to tfw2005, you'll find those people here in abundance. Just need to look...not hard at all.

Geewunners really are out there, they're not some mythical boogeyman or strawman. They exist, and there's a hell of a lot on this forum.

20. Proxima

Thank you everyone for your answers on this. I was generally interested. Especially KnightConvoy, darkunor, OptimusTimelord, General Magnus and Gingerchris for their answers on this. It wasn't meant to be flame bait but more of trying to understand the mindset.