Question: Takara vs. other

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by chaosbringer_00, Mar 24, 2007.

1. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

I've been looking around on various sites (mainly Ebay) in search of a few older TFs, like Fortress/Brave Maximus. However, in my searches I've noticed something interesting: for a bunch of the Japan-only TFs, the price seems to change significantly depending on some odd factors. For example, on Ebay I found two Brave Maximus': one for about $550 and one for about $380. They are both MIB, bood condition, etc. However, one states it as being "Takara Godaikin Transformers Fortress Brave Maximus New" and the other says "Transformers RID Brave Fortress Maximus C-027 TAKARA CASE FRESH MINT SEALED - TAKARA - NOT Godaiken". The one that says Godaikin is considerably cheaper, and the other seems to put a lot of emphasis on it not being so, like it's better as a result. I'm afraid I don't know what that means. Is it some other brand? Why would it be so much cheaper? Is it made of a lesser quality plastic or something? The boxes in the pictures look identical, so this is the only difference I can see. In another example, I searched for the BWII remold of Trypticon, Gigastorm, and found a two different bowes: one from Japan/Takara and one from Korea. The Korean one was considerably cheaper. I've also noticed the exact same thing with BW Neo Big Convoy: the Korean version is cheper than the others. The point is, what is the difference beteen these sort of "sub-divisions" of Asian-only TFs? Is the quality significantly different between the two? What is with the price difference?

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Sonokong is a Korean toy company affiliated with Takara. They release Takara products to Korea, using totally different packaging. I'd almost guarantee, even though you didn't provide links, that the cheaper Brave Maximus was the Korean release.

Sonokong's stuff all came out a short time after Takara's, so they're not as "old" as the Takara releases, and were a bit cheaper in cost. They're also not as desirable for some collectors who want the Takara packaging. But nothing's generally different about the toys themselves. The exception is Brave Max, where the big Autobot sticker is upside down when in city mode.

3. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

4. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    Godaiken is totally irrelevant to TFs. It was a toyline by Bandai during the late 70s and early to mid 80s. So if you ever see it again in a TF auction, just ignore it. It doesn't pertain at all to anything TF. You'll see a lot of that in auctions, mostly by people who don't really know what they're talking about.

Other words to look out for and completely ignore when looking for tfs are "Chogokin," "Goukin" and "Popy/Popynica."

5. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Sonokong keeps quite a few molds in service and regular use long after the original release, such as the Brave toys, which have seen many reissues over there. They're decent quality, as good as the originals in the majority of cases with only isolated instances of mold degredation.
    They're a very good way to get ahold of TFs that have been out of production for awhile too, like the more accurate Tidal Wave and Brave Max.

6. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    In the link you provided, the one on the bottom (the much cheaper one) is definitely teh Korean version. You can tell by the text. I think i remember reading that, in addition to the upside down Autobot logo, that the screws are also rusted right out of the box. Otherwise, i believe it's the same quality as Takara as it is an official release.

As far as the Korean Big Convoy... I have it, and other than a few loose joints, it's damn near perfect. Considering loose jouints happen on all TFs... no biggie.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The rusty screws thing isn't universal, that is a case by case thing.