Question: Should Jolt remain silent?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Dinobot Nuva, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been pondering this for a long time now.

For me, at least, one of the reasons Jolt as a character remains interesting is that he's never said anything (that recent UK comic aside, but I'm in the camp that prefers IDW's timeline for any expanded-universe movie stuff). Heck, even in the first issue of Nefarious, Jolt is present and ass-kicking but still muter than a de-bleated goat.

I'll also admit that the Autobots already have their own resident mute in the form of Bumblebee. However, Bee gets a hell of a lot more screen time than Jolt and he has that radio-speak gig going for him. When I first heard that Bee wasn't going to be able to speak in the 2007 film I had hard time supporting the idea, but after two movies of it I'm perfectly fine. Bee's body language and radio speak were plenty to help illustrate his personality.

Jolt on the other hand, well its a pipe dream to hope he'll get a load of screen time in TF3, if he's even present at all. So I don't think he'll have the same chances to emote as Bee did, and I understand that. His status as a last-minute addition to the cast in ROTF explaining exactly WHY he barely did anything in the movie except help power-up Prime and be the only blue robot.

Frankly? I hope he never gets a line out. I kind of dig the idea of Jolt being the Autobot's Boba Fett type, the dude who's job is nothing more than to sit in the background and be blue-looking. Yeah, Boba Fett got a couple lines in Empire, but he basically said next to nothing in Return. Just from my perspective, the less he says the more interesting and curious his character is. What're your thoughts? And please, none of that "oh the bots don't get any lines or characterization outside of Bee/Prime/Ironhide/Twins, from what little the bikes/Sideswipe/Ratchet said I was able to draw a decent picture of their personality, Jolt on the other hand is still a big, blue, blank slate.

Did I mention Jolt is blue?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  2. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movies Fan/Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    he shoud ltalk dosent matter if 1 lien or 2 i jsut want to hear his voice, but if he dosent tlak then im fine with it

3. foxfan352

foxfan352 Well-Known Member

no

4. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    He's not mute, he just chooses not to speak.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Well, to be fair he's not really a mute, he just hasn't said anything on-screen.

That said, I think it would spark confusion if Jolt evolved out of being just a background character to a more focused backup (like Jazz, Ratchet, Sideswipe) and had no speaking lines, especially, like you said, not talking is Bumblebee's thing.

6. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Him not speaking would be fine with me if (A) it was established as a choice, not damaged vocal processors like Bee and (B) we could just see him in action a bit.

7. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Clarification, by mute I mean silent. Whether or not its his choice is fine either way though.

8. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    Maybe at least he could have two lines in the next film?

9. Protoman

Protoman The Legendary One Veteran

News Credits:
  10. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll be honest and just say I highly doubt that he'll even be in the third film. I'd really like it if he were, as I really enjoyed his character model, and I agree that the silence makes him that wee bit more intriguing. I just doubt that Bay even remembers there was a blue-car Autobot in ROTF.

11. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    He won't return.
    Bay likes to keep his Favorites so Jolt has no chance of ever coming back unless Bay Has a sudden change.

12. DecepticonsRule

DecepticonsRule Triple-Changer

News Credits:
    At this point, I'm starting to think that Jolt may not even be back for TF3. However, if he does, I'm hoping he gets at least one or two lines in. That way, he can be a little bit more... alive, than just standing in the background a bunch.

13. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

What you are suggesting is a transforming Snake Eyes. I like that.

14. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Actually he got one line in Return of the Jedi.

"EYAAAAAAAAAGH!"

As for Jolt; I'd go for a mix. I'd like to hear him speak a little in TF3, but I think the Boba Fett style would suit him best; speaking only out of necessity.

Or here's the third option; he only talks in Cybertronian and we get nifty subtitles.

Depend on the audience. Non-TF fans I saw the movie with were puzzled enough by the fact that the Autobots suddenly had a blue car, a silver car with swords, three motorcycles, and two idiots working with them at the start of the second movie. Finding a reason to bump Jolt's character status would be nothing different for them this time around either. TF fans for the most part; read the comics and immediately understood the swell in ranks. Comic prequels for TF3 could frame Jolt's likely rise in character status.

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

We've got too many robots already with nothing to say and I'm just tired of robots with nothing to say.

Even if it's just a few line a good voice actor can add a ton of personality to a character so I'd like to see more robots with something to say instead of the robots just doing something without anything to say. Considering the bill for gasoline and C4 you'd think they could spare a few dollars to hire some struggling voice actors.

16. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I'd like Jolt to talk in TF3. I also am trying to imagine what Anthony Anderson's voice would sound like for Jolt. I'd expect the calm and cool tone he uses in Law & Order.

Like "Whats do you think your doing!" When the military encircles them at the airbase and points the guns at them.

17. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    At this point in the movie series, I'll be surprised if he gets a scene to himself in Transformers 3.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I'd go either way. Part of me would like to hear him say something, while another part of me would like it if he's just a robot whose actions speak louder than words... if you know what I mean by that.

19. Dinobot Nuva

News Credits:
    Only in the Titan books, so far at least he's said nada in the IDW continuity.

I remember that, and I also remember the lulzy bitchfits people threw over it, which turned out to be ironic because, like you said, it never panned out.

These are surprising. What've we seen/heard about TF3? Some concept art some legal reps asked to be taken down and bits and pieces about "core mythology" from actors and other staff on the movie. Honestly its still way too early to call.

Frankly? Since the renders are so damn expensive to produce, I highly doubt that Jolt WON'T be in TF3. He had so little screen time in the last movie they might just have to re-use his model in the 3rd movie to get their money's worth out of the model. Hell, a lot people were saying the same thing about Ratchet not being in ROTF back before it came out because he wasn't front-and-center in the first film.

20. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I'd welcome Jolt speaking, but I don't think there's much hope. Bay's kinda, you know, Bay with his favorites, meaning Prime, Bumblebee, Wheelie, the Twins, and Frenzy. I never thought of Jolt as Boba Fett, btw - nice one.

Anthony Anderson would work great with his Law and Order voice. I'd like at least one or two lines from the guy, so he has Ratchet, Ironhide, Arcee, and Sideswipe status.

Just a few lines from Jolt-Anderson in even tie in material, specifically games and IDW comics, would be good for me.

But I don't think there's much hope for Jolt.