Question(s) about DVD-Ripping Programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Witwicky Camaro, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    I've been making music videos (the fan kind) since 2004, but searching for clips to make videos is a pain in the ass, not to mention a waste of good time. Somehow or another I've managed succeed with downloading .WMV Formatted Trailers/Clips and creating videos to my hearts to delight, but this is steadily becoming harder to do when I want a change of scenery (different clips). Windows Media and MPEG formats aren't very popular, given the lack of them available to download, unlike .AVI - .MOV - formats which you find a hearty abundance.

Getting to the point, I wanted to Rip my TRANSFORMERS DVD for music video making purposes only, but I'm unsure if DVD-Ripping Programs are safe for the DVD or my computer themselves. Will either function correctly after I download the program and create video files for my purposes? Plus, can you convert them to .WMV formats and not the latter .AVI (because for some reason, .AVI files don't work on my computer. I get sound, sometimes, but no picture)?

2. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

DVDDecrypter is your friend, and free. DVD and computer will be fine. I'm working on editing the TF movie now.

3. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

DVD Fab is another one{pay}

Sounds like you need a codec.

4. Spanky2324

Spanky2324 Member

If you want codecs. Definitely shoot for the K-lite codec pack. Has every codec you will ever need and on top of that it's free. I have it and it works great just make to unclick the windows media player classic program or some files will bring that up instead of the actual media player.

5. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

I'm making a vid to the new TF movie to warm up for the member vid.

I'll race ya. ;) 

Witwicky, this URL is probably a bit outdated, but it's what I used when I first started making videos.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2vcd_with_smart_dvd2avi_tmpgenc.cfm

Ripping DVD's to your PC is safe and easy. And it gives you great content. If .avi files aren't working on your PC, it probably means you don't have updated codecs. Search Google for the latest DIVX codecs, that usually works. And editing an .avi in something other than Windows Movie Maker can be tricky.

And have you posted any of your vids?

6. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you need to know what codec you need, download a little free program called AVIcodec. Ive used it in the past to figure out what codec I need. In most cases, it can link you to the sight that has it.

7. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:

Yup, I'll post the links on "The Official YouTube Thread".

Thanks for all the information everybody --- Its all been very helpful.

8. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Nah, TF vids deserve their own threads. Post 'em up in TFGD, there's some good editors in there that can provide some good feedback, and I always like seeing new projects.

9. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    The Primary Thread Topic entitled: "Show Yourself, to forever remain in GD!"? If so, oh, okay, I'll move 'em there.

EDIT: I'm so LOST, help! Navagation is needed to end up in the right place! :cry 

10. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Jux was meaning the sub-forum: Transformers General Discussion (TFGD) and can be found here

And if you are making a TF music video then that is the best place for it.

11. Witwicky Camaro

News Credits:
    :eek:  Ohhhhh.... "Transformers General Discussion"

Facepalm.