Question: Retaining Toy Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by deusued, Nov 2, 2008.

1. deusued

deusued Member

I've got quite a few (30?) TF's still MISB/MOSC. That said, my son (okay, I admit it, me too) is itching to play with a couple.

Say I take the plunge and open them up. Then assume that the condition of the toy drops to C-7.

Is retaining the packaging still worth it at this point? Or maybe a cutout of it? Or just flattened (throwing away internal packaging and/or bubble)?

Thoughts?

2. swampflight

swampflight Banned

You can do it!!!

Toys are MEANT to be played with but if you have concerns about value,you have a few options;only open up figure you have doubles of,save all the packaging for reassembly later(it drops the value a little but not that much),or keep checking TF websites for MIB or MIP figures you can buy down the road.Hope this helps ya!

3. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    Personally I open everything I get, but I keep the packaging. I have totes full of the boxes,clamshells, and insert. I just don't throw any of it away. I also keep the stickers on the sheet in a ziplock bag with the weapons and instructions for its respective figure in a tote.

4. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    that totaly depends what line.

if it is G1 you can get money for your complete packing. for newer stuff then I say let the kid play.

5. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

It's up to you to make this decision. If you are a MSIB collector, then don't open them. Get some others for you and your son to play with. Even if you do decide to open them up, you can still keep the boxes.

6. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I figure anything from BW on you only keep MIB if you think it's gonna be worth while at the end (to sell or keep). If I open my toys now, I generally throw away the packaging but keep the inserts in a box. The cardboard usually has nothing important except a picture and a tech spec, but that information can be found online and it's inconvenient to have it. I find that usually it'll resell for the same price loose with or without the backing and bubble so that is inconsequential to me. I do keep some packaging though when it comes to the more expensive japanese toys... or such.

7. slugslinger2004

slugslinger2004 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keeping packaging is not worth it IMO, unless it's some older or rarer figures. If you want to retain the value of your stuff, buy loose duplicates. If you just want to play with your toys, open them up and toss out the packaging. It just takes up a lot of space that you could use for more loose toys ;) 

8. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i toss it all american japanese it all goes in the recycle bin

9. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep all of mine. I mainly collect G1 reissues, Masterpiece, & Alts/BTs though and I like the box art on them.

10. luke4

luke4 crocon

i keep all of my packaging in my closet, i recycle knock off packaging.