Question regarding pre-order characters

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having a bit of a blonde moment, but i'm not much of a gamer and need a question answered. Looking at pre-ordering WfC down at EB so I can get both Jazz and Shockwave (go living in New Zealand!) but I'm not a huge online multiplayer. Am I wrong in thinking that if you can get these characters, you can play them in some of the offline modes? Not the campaign mode, I know. But the other modes?

If they're strictly mutliplayer only I may not bother but if they're available in the other modes i'm gonna have to think about getting these two!

2. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    they are for use in escalation mode only, which is a multiplayer mode. It pits you and up to 3 others against wave after wave of AI enemies. So you can play it solo, but you probably won't be able to complete it

3. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Jump in/out feature sounds like its for the entire game, not just story mode. If you're going in solo, the game's AI will assist you.

4. warhokie

warhokie Well-Known Member

Everything I've read is that the all multiplayer is online only... there is no local split screen(as many have fussed about).... If you go into a multiplayer mode you will most likely be alone if it will even let you start a game at all. Escalation is an online game mode and the drop in drop out for the story mode has been confirmed as online friends only... though in story you do get AI if alone...This is atleast for Xbox PS3 and PC.. Wii seems to be a story unto it own

5. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The whole game is online--"no one plays Transformers: War For Cybertron alone," Matt Tieger. Drop in/out feature at any time isn't limited to story mode, but all modes. If there is no one to play with you, the games own AI is said to fight at your side.

You can play with friends, unknowns or alone withthe assistance with the game's AI, but you are never really playing the game alone.

6. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    God forbid Transformers do anything alone... right Mr. Tieger? :p 

7. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    Hrmm, I thought you were still able to play Escalation offline, having the other two team members being AI? And surely the story mode can be played without being online? Cause I really don't do a lot of gaming online, I don't have the broadband allowance to do it.

8. warhokie

Can you please point me to your source on this..I have never seen anything saying that AI team mates would be around for anything other then the story mode... if they've added bot support for this game in the online modes (TDM, Countdown, Esc, etc) this is the first I've heard mention of it and would be the first xbox game I think I've ever see with that option atleast for a long time.

EDIT. I just looked on the games website to check myself and I quote "No One Battles alone in War for Cybertron. Bring two friends onto the battlefield and play though both campaigns in on-line co-op play. When your friends drop out of the action AI picks up where they left off adding extra firepower in the form of a fellow soldier"

Multiplayer section say nothing about AI support... Amazon states it as the followng

Wage War Online
    Deep multiplayer game modes thrust you into a global battle
    3 — Player Drop-in/Drop-out Online Co-op
    Team up with your friends and fight through epic campaigns

and Bestbuy.com has a disclaimer that multiplayer requires broadband and a gold membership for the 360..

9. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Escalation is a multiplayer mode. Will the game allow you to play it without friends? Who knows. My bet is that it will not. Regardless, if it did, you simply would not be able to do it for very long. The mode is built around teamwork. Even if there were AI bots on your side, you would not be able to last very long.

For the OP: Maybe this game will be the one that you're into enough to dabble in online multiplayer to the point of being comfortable and proficient? I used to dislike online play as well. My early experiences with games like Quake 1 turned me off to the experience. Then a little mod called TFQ2 (Transformers Quake:2) came out and allowed me to play online quake 2 using over a dozen fully transformable and drivable/flyable characters on the hundreds of available quake2 multiplayer maps, using weapons from the original show in place of the default weapons. Now I'm an online shooter fiend ;) 

I'm hoping that WFC is able to take the multiplayer transformers crown from TFQ2. RotF was good online, but it still didn't quite match the amount of fun I had with that user-made free download mod for Quake 2.

10. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    It's not that I don't like playing online. I've played in LAN's years ago when my old school set one up. This was circa 2003 though. As I said, just not a heavy gamer, and broadband allowances are a joke here so I wouldn't want to risk going over my internet cap playing multiplayer, which I assume would use a lot of bandwidth.

Though, this does mean i'm more likely to not bother getting the pre-order bonus' and thereby getting the game cheaper at another store.

11. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kotaku.com's podcast with Matt Tieger. Someone posted a video to a French video showing someone playing the first level of the Autobot campaign--the game's AI was trying to advance onto a part of the mission not yet opened.

12. billcosby

billcosby Geewin

News Credits:
    ^^ Don't like the sound of that. With AI support I like to lead, not follow.

13. warhokie

So let me understand... your saying that because you saw video footage of the campaign mode... that everyone agrees has AI support its fact per you AI is there for all game modes...sorry FAIL! I'm not trying to flame.. but the OP had a legit question that from his follow up posts was to see if he could save a few buck by skipping the preorder... if your gonna answer a question.. check facts.. don't feed people trash. Its just the right thing to do... and bill... I agree with you... if they are jumping out in front.. I hope there is friendly fire.

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No. I said Matt said so in a podcast and that it was also shown in a video showing the first Autobot campaign.

Feel free to read through the many interviews with Matt explaining the game and its mode, the pod cast too.

15. warhokie

I've read dang near ever intervew, press release, preview that has came out about this game... now if you would read my full responce.. no one is debating that AI is in the campaign.. that has been said by Matt and other.. the orginal question was if the preorder's would be worth it for someone that doesn't play the other game modes or if those modes could be played with AI... Your orginal responce was "The Jump in/out feature sounds like its for the entire game, not just story mode. If you're going in solo, the game's AI will assist you." There is nothing to support this... your sourced when asked for was for campaign mode.. not the other modes... but regardless.. the question is answerd and your obviouly just going to contradict anything thats said becuase god forbid your misinformed... so not worth my time to carry on with this.

16. King Henrik

King Henrik Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    if you have a bandwith limit and don't want to worry about going over it with MP, than cheaper priced game is absolutely the right choice.

I fear the day that the world goes with limited data plans. I think phone providers are already starting to do it (i think a friend told me sprint is). We've all become so hooked on the constant flow of information that is the internet, that we'll have to just roll over when they charge stupid prices for limited plans and overage fees.

17. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can I just walk into Best Buy and get Jazz w/out pre-ordering?

18. warhokie

I asked that same question at bestbuy and I think it made the blueshirt's head explode... the verbage on there website and in store is a little iffy...

"While supplies last, you'll get a code, in-pack, with the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Transformers: War for Cybertron to unlock the Best Buy exclusive Jazz. Order your game today."

I would say preorder if you want to be safe.. but dont be suprized if they have stock on the shelves with the code in it... when Blur was first comming out they had the Best Buy exclusive Viper ACR and kinda made it sound like you had to preorder.. but there are copies in every store I've been in marked that the code is in pack. I did a preorder on line and just had them do it instore pickup...so not shipping and I can just drop in that morning... its the wifes copy.. mine is at the gamestop next door to bestbuy.. unless they have a midnight at gamestop.. its not even an extra drive

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    Aren't the chasis' of Shockwave and Jazz both in the multiplayer, so you can create a character that looks like them?

20. Starscream NZ

News Credits:
    Here in New Zealand we're rather unlucky with broadband, there's no company that offers an unlimited data plan, and any of the big ones 60GB+ per month are usually pretty expensive.

I think what I might do is see if I can pre-order from EB Games, and see if they'll price match the cheaper stores. That way if I do play the odd bit of multiplayer, I can still utilize Shockwave/Jazz.

Thanks to everyone, especially warhokie