Customs: question regarding paint thining

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by phunkymunky, Sep 11, 2010.

1. phunkymunky

phunkymunky Member

Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to this. I would like to try painting and i have an airbrush n compressor. I bought some testors enamels to try it out and i notice that it was too thick n the airbrush would not take it.

So my question is, what is the correct ratio of paint and thinner to b mixed. also what is the specific thinner i should b using. I would also like to try acrylics to practice, but would like to know too how much of what to mix with what. Please some one help me out...u can pm me too.

2. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well I have only just started out airbrushing too but hope I can help.

I have not used testors to put in an airbrush yet so will recommend tamiya acrylics.easy to find and cheap as they are. Get some 70% iso rubbing alcohol and thin on a ratio of 3:1. So 3 parts paint to 1 part thinner.

I have just literally got a couple of junk parts and started on them and it works amazingly well. Oh and set your compressor to around 30-35 psi

Let us know how that goes!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. phunkymunky

phunkymunky Member

Oh, great! I shall try that on my messed up prime. Thank You.

4. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No problem I'm still learning myself so keep in there! Search using google I found a lot of help! Also with tamiya I find that if you use their specified thinner it keeps the paint finish glossy.if you use alcohol it flattens the finish! Post up some pics when you tried it out :)