Customs: Question regarding G1 sacrilege.

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Jingjing, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Jingjing

Jingjing Well-Known Member

I'm planning on making a custom out of a Pretender Grimlock shell. I will saw off the original head and replace it with another one. My question to you is; is this socially acceptable? I mean, will it be considered a sacrilege or similar?

2. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Your figure, do what you want with it.
    Too hell with anyone that gives you shit for it.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Considering that people have sacrificed Fort Maxes (Yes, you, Payton) and Metroplexes, Pretender Grimlock is nothing to be fussed about. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just being a nuisance. our figure, go do what you want.

Heck, people have turned Universe Ironhide into Fireworks before...

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    your figure, your choice! To hell with whay anyone thinks.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Let's err on the side of the "collector" just to play devil's advocate for a minute: Pretenders Grimlock isn't really all that rare to begin with. From an appreciation perspective (again, I'm coming from a "G1 collector's perspective", this figure could use some improvements, as it's not the crowning achievement of the line :lol ). I hope that helps :) 

6. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally, i'd just cast a new shell out of resin, unless the old one is too beat up anyway.

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Personally, I do whatever I want with my customs and G1 figures. I look at it this way, if I can live with it being hacked up, I'm cool. I honestly don't worry about what others think or may say about any of the bots or parts I use. I've used a lot of G1 parts and bots on my work and it's always gotten great remarks--I haven't once had someone attack me or the work based on using a vintage G1 toy.

So do what you want with it and enjoy it!

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think aprim is really on to something with using other bots completely for "shells" as seen in his Bludgeon custom.

9. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

For the most part, I've been supportive of people hacking up whatever toys they had in order to achieve something. I was totally cool with Payton34's G1 Fort Max project.

But for whatever reason, I wasn't okay with the idea of a member using a Botcon 2010 Clench for an Ultra Magnus custom. It's not that I had any special connection to the toy, nor did I have an interest in getting it. But I found the decision to use a convention exclusive like Clench for a custom somewhat odd considering the mold was already available in a cheaper form (2.0 Onslaught).

I think the reason I was okay with Payton's Fort Max is because the mold isn't as available as a modern mass release such as Onslaught.