Question re: search feature

Discussion in 'Items For Sale or Trade' started by jbz, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sorry is this is the wrong place to ask this, but I didn't know where to ask. I frequent this forum a lot and there's a ton of threads/posts. I try to use the Search function but notice that it doesn't pick up results very well. For example, I searched for "Optimus" as a test. The results show one thread from 8/21, two from 8/20 and then the next one on 8/4. But this isn't correct. I look on the first page alone and there's 4 threads today only with the word "Optimus" in the thread. I thought maybe the search is returning results based on the date the thread was started, but even that doesn't hold true in the results. Anyone else experience this or am I using the Search feature wrong?

2. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nobody has this same experience? I must be a search feature noob. lol :eek: 

3. klogan4

klogan4 Rampage

Eh, I have the same problem, so I just don't really use the search engine on here

4. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well at least I'm not alone :D 

I sure wish it would work as it should though. Would make going through these tons of sale threads a lot easier

5. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I wish it would exclude after a certain time. About 2 of 5 PMs I get are because people dig up old lists and want stuff that I sold months ago. And I hate when my exposure gets reduced because someone bumps an old thread.

I don't mean "old as in a couple months ago", but more like "old as in 2008"

6. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In the advanced search there's a way to set certain time frames. But I assume most people don't dig that far into the search feature. I just wish it would be more accurate. It's almost impossible to keep up with every for sale thread.

7. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Okay, in case anyone cares (I do :) ) I figured out that if you go into advanced search and narrow your search down to something like 2 weeks to 1 week ago, the results are much better. Just select the "Find Posts from" drop down and change the date range.

Probably old news for a lot of people, but in case people didn't know. It's helped me a lot.