Customs: question on Rit Dye

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Solscud007, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I have used it now with positive results. However I boil the water and then after mixing the dye, i lower the temp to a simmer. This is still relatively hot. the negative effect is that the plastics sometimes warp and shrink just a wee bit.

Has anyone tried this with just hot tap water and not using a stove top? or on the extreme side, has anyone tried dyeing with just cold water? is it just as effective? or does the heat actually assist in the dyeing process?

I read on a Casio G-Shock watch forum, that people dye their clear jelly watches colors like we dye our toys. To the point the how-to mentioned using salt with the dye as that helps the dye take to the watch band.

Has anyone tried this? I wonder if it helps.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I do a combination of both with great results. I pour my mixtures into a 5 gallon bucket. I then put figures in once the water is hot, but cooler than simmering...Then leave them in for 2-3 days. This technique avoids warping, but takes longer. The dye sets in about 1-2 mm deep into the plastic.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    no, but I don't let it simmer, either. Bring it to a boil, remove from heat and mix, then dunk the parts. no warpage, as the water is cooling the whole time. If you have to re-dip the parts to get it darker, remove them, reheat, remove from heat, re-dip. rinse, wash, repeat.

4. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You need some heat. I tried it with cool and it didn't take nearly as well as warm water.
    I do the multi-day thing as F_R does and it works great. Just gotta be patient.

Also I'd advise warming the figure a bit in hot tap water right before you drop it in.

A little acetone in the mix apparently helps, I've done it with and without and it works ok. But don't use it if your figure has soft plastic parts like Animated Blackarachnia's spider legs or Universe Dinobot's tail. It will melt them.

5. Solscud007

Solscud007 Banned

News Credits:
    I screwed up a G1 sunstreaker trying to dye it red. it warped all crazy that it wont transform without a LOT of tension.

6. tentagil

tentagil Well-Known Member

I usually heat to just below boiling, then lower the temp to jsut below a simmer. I've found that you need to keep a little bit of heat in there to get it to soak in, but you don't need a huge amount. I stay away from the acetone for many reason, it helps but i don't think its worth the risks in damage to plastic on in the vapors it puts off.