Customs: Question on removal of stickers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Melkava, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Melkava

Melkava Well-Known Member

Would like to know if theres a way of removing applied stickers while retaining their form (minimal curling) & adhesiveness?

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    a good sharp hobby knife would let you cut them off without ruining them, but you really can't ever remove a sticker without hurting its adhesiveness.

3. Melkava

How about preventing curling of the stickers, if ignoring the adhesiveness issue?

I hear about using zippo fluid to dissolve the adhesiveness, so that the stickers can be removed unharmed as if applying a decal.

I m thinking of using a vintage KO Menasor as a base for a Shattered Glass G1 Menasor. It comes with some stickers pre-applied & some on sheet. Just replacing its stickers with repro ones.

New to the custom scene, so pardon the newbie questions.
    Would like to know if its 'do-able' within my ability & resources before even attempting it.
    Would appreciate all/any feedbacks or suggestions.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Hey man, first off welcome to Radicons! I hope we see something from you you soon! Don't worry about the "noobie" questions; we all started somewhere :)  Just make sure you check out each of our subforums and post your question(s) in the correct location (so we don't have to move it later :lol )

As far as your specific issue, I mostly agree with REDLINE. However, I've been able to remove some labels with a good amount of success. My method? Use and exacto knife or tweezers (an exacto knife is my personal preference) to get under the label and CAREFULLY lift the label off of the surface. Just be very, VERY patient and you may enjoy a good level of success. :) 

I hope that helps! I hope to hear something from you soon!

5. project9

project9 White n' Nerdy

I've used a hair dryer to heat the stickers and softening the adhesive, then they can peel off easier. I'd advise using tweezers, obviously.

Now, 1) I haven't tried this with TFs, 2) be careful not to heat to long, just hit it a few times until it warms and you feel it coming loose and 3) note that this isn't foolproof. Not all stickers can or will come off this way.

6. Melkava

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I take it as the zippo fluid method is not recommended or might damage/melt the plastic?